New to the Hobby been lurking for awhile

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently joined all you lovely people. I havent had an indoor fish in many years and never saltwater. I have had a Koi pond for the last 15 years and recently decided I really wanted a nano reef inside. I know they are harder to keep and when I say Nano I mean 20 gallon which in salt is rather small. Who knows when the bug gets me more i may find the room for a 50+ gallon. My uncle breeds cichlids and is giving me one of his old 20 gallons and I have been slowly with Christmas coming telling friends and family to give me money or items I need for my tank. Hopefully I will start a build thread after Christmas.

I'm going to post a list of things I have so far or will buy when I start the cycle if anyone can think of anything else I might need please let me know. I have spent the better part of 3 or 4hrs every night for about a month trying to make sure I can start this tank right after Christmas so any advice is welcome thank you! Happy holidays!

So far I have
20 gallon tank
Tidal 55 filter (with media)
20lbs of carib sea live fiji pink sand
Aquaticlife protein skimmer
14k LED light bar that was programmable (can't remember who made it but it had good reviews)
100w heater
API Saltwater test kit
Dr. Tim ammonia
Dr. Tim Live bacteria
Also a WaveMaker (incase the flow in my tiny tank needs it)

Will buy after christmas from LFS
Live rock piece
Probably 8-10lbs of liferock

Don't want to worry about making my own water in the beginning so will be getting saltwater and RODI from the LFS for the time being.

Thanks again for having me. I hope this new hobby becomes an obsession I throughly enjoy!

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZomboMeme 25112020204221.jpg
welcome aboard

Rip2131

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently joined all you lovely people. I havent had an indoor fish in many years and never saltwater. I have had a Koi pond for the last 15 years and recently decided I really wanted a nano reef inside. I know they are harder to keep and when I say Nano I mean 20 gallon which in salt is rather small. Who knows when the bug gets me more i may find the room for a 50+ gallon. My uncle breeds cichlids and is giving me one of his old 20 gallons and I have been slowly with Christmas coming telling friends and family to give me money or items I need for my tank. Hopefully I will start a build thread after Christmas.

I'm going to post a list of things I have so far or will buy when I start the cycle if anyone can think of anything else I might need please let me know. I have spent the better part of 3 or 4hrs every night for about a month trying to make sure I can start this tank right after Christmas so any advice is welcome thank you! Happy holidays!

So far I have
20 gallon tank
Tidal 55 filter (with media)
20lbs of carib sea live fiji pink sand
Aquaticlife protein skimmer
14k LED light bar that was programmable (can't remember who made it but it had good reviews)
100w heater
API Saltwater test kit
Dr. Tim ammonia
Dr. Tim Live bacteria
Also a WaveMaker (incase the flow in my tiny tank needs it)

Will buy after christmas from LFS
Live rock piece
Probably 8-10lbs of liferock

Don't want to worry about making my own water in the beginning so will be getting saltwater and RODI from the LFS for the time being.

Thanks again for having me. I hope this new hobby becomes an obsession I throughly enjoy!
Welcome to R2R! How big is your koi pond? I also have koi. My pond is roughly 1200 gallons, and I have 14 koi. I also have a 65g salt that I"m working on. Hope you enjoy it here!

Back