New to the hobby/forums

Yuhhboib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I am new the saltwater/reefing hobby and i set up my first tank yesterday. I have a Coralife Biocube 16g and im running the filtration as it came out of the box but I plan to add some bioballs, a filter pad and chemipure blue soon. I have an Oase 100w heater set to about 80°F. I have live rock, CaribSea live sand and I added Microbacter7 to help the cycling process. What would be a good, starter, reef-safe clean-up crew I can add once the tank is cycled?

20210613_160402.jpg 20210613_160434.jpg 20210613_160449.jpg

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I am new the saltwater/reefing hobby and i set up my first tank yesterday. I have a Coralife Biocube 16g and im running the filtration as it came out of the box but I plan to add some bioballs, a filter pad and chemipure blue soon. I have an Oase 100w heater set to about 80°F. I have live rock, CaribSea live sand and I added Microbacter7 to help the cycling process. What would be a good, starter, reef-safe clean-up crew I can add once the tank is cycled?

20210613_160402.jpg 20210613_160434.jpg 20210613_160449.jpg
You don't really need bioballs with all the live rock you have.

As for cuc once cycled, I just got one of each snail and hermit crab here: https://www.saltyunderground.com/3-marine-invertebrates, to have diversity. Works out well.

Slightly unrelated, what is your ammonia source for cycling?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Snails are usually reef safe but are limited to what they surface they live on. You have to have a few different types. Shrimp are a more active cleaner and nicer to look at.
Be sure any thing you add has enough to eat.

OP
OP
Y

Yuhhboib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't really need bioballs with all the live rock you have.

As for cuc once cycled, I just got one of each snail and hermit crab here: https://www.saltyunderground.com/3-marine-invertebrates, to have diversity. Works out well.

Slightly unrelated, what is your ammonia source for cycling?
I am using the dead bacteria and algae on the rock for my ammonia source. Ive heard its one of the easier ways to encourage bacteria growth.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

Everything you have done sounds good. I personally would turn the heater down to about 77*, 80 seems a tad high to me.

For CUC, I would wait a month or 2... You literally just bought a brand new house. What is there to clean? For ammonia source, I would suggest ghost feeding with brine shrimp for a while.. I defrost a cube of frozen brine shrimp in a small amount of tank water, like 4 or 5 tablespoons worth, and then add a teaspoon to the tank like I would if I was feeding fish. With all of your live rock, live sand, and bottled bac, you should be ready to add your first fish in a day or so. With a 16g cube you wont have a lot of room for a large population. I don't know how you feel about "designer" clowns, but a pair of mocha storms or Wyoming whites would be awesome in that tank.

DH78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You can always check out Reef Cleaners for clean up crew. The y have good descriptions of the various invertebrates and sell packages based on tank size. Although, I think their packs have too many and I would order for half the tank size. I would wait until you have something to clean up before ordering a CUC. If you get them too early, you will need to feed them.

OP
OP
Y

Yuhhboib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Great job on setting up the Biocube! Looking forward to seeing your pics as

Welcome to the Dark Side...

Welcome.jpg

Everything you have done sounds good. I personally would turn the heater down to about 77*, 80 seems a tad high to me.

For CUC, I would wait a month or 2... You literally just bought a brand new house. What is there to clean? For ammonia source, I would suggest ghost feeding with brine shrimp for a while.. I defrost a cube of frozen brine shrimp in a small amount of tank water, like 4 or 5 tablespoons worth, and then add a teaspoon to the tank like I would if I was feeding fish. With all of your live rock, live sand, and bottled bac, you should be ready to add your first fish in a day or so. With a 16g cube you wont have a lot of room for a large population. I don't know how you feel about "designer" clowns, but a pair of mocha storms or Wyoming whites would be awesome in that tank.
Thank you, i added a small pinch of fish flakes today and I think im going to start using the frozen brine shrimp since i have some to feed my turtle anyways. With fish i wanted to add a firefish but i wasnt too sure on their temperament and behavior with other fish and i only wanted a clean up crew to keep things clean before it gets bad but a month or two doesn't seem like too long to wait. Again thank you!

OP
OP
Y

Yuhhboib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went and got one more rock and made some slight adjustments to fit it right.

Attachments

• 16237179695777920899509248909710.jpg
    16237179695777920899509248909710.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 19

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back