New to the hobby - from Rochester, Minnesota

Augustus81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, from Rochester, Minnesota (where we don’t have any LFS - aside from Petco, so I have to make a 1.5 hour drive up to Minneapolis to see anything exciting and healthy).

I’m new to saltwater tanks (since April 2019). Below you’ll find a pic of my Red Sea 350. I have “Real Reef Rock” in the tank - I tried to create caves and areas for the fish to hang out (as they are all quite isolated fish, except for my clownfish- they are most interactive and like to explore. I currently have one of the red sea 90 led (plan to get another one in a few weeks).

My current stock:
2 PJ Cardinals
1 Tomini (Flame Fin) Tang
2 Clownfish

I did a QT process for all the fish. Everyone is getting along quite well, but they’re a bit should I say, “inactive” (I really mean to say boring, but that sounds so wrong to say). Any other suggestions for bright/colorful fish that are fun to watch?

The current fish usually stay on the left side of the tank; is this normal?!?

My tank looks a little sad - like it’s understocked- any recommendations would be appreciated. (I’m waiting until September/October to introduce coral- so I need fish that aren’t going to nip or eat coral).

By the way, this site really helped me navigate everything from cycling, QT’ing - it’s awesome to see a group of people come together and support each other!

Thanks in advance to those who provide any recommendations!

400DB943-B9E5-4FDB-9DFB-848C804C10AC.jpeg

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank sir! My recommendation is to add another light or two (looks like you have the new RedSea light!) if you plan on keeping corals. Otherwise, you look like you’re on the right track!

Welcome to R2R! It’s a great place to learn!

REEFer86

Loving the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, from Rochester, Minnesota (where we don’t have any LFS - aside from Petco, so I have to make a 1.5 hour drive up to Minneapolis to see anything exciting and healthy).

I’m new to saltwater tanks (since April 2019). Below you’ll find a pic of my Red Sea 350. I have “Real Reef Rock” in the tank - I tried to create caves and areas for the fish to hang out (as they are all quite isolated fish, except for my clownfish- they are most interactive and like to explore. I currently have one of the red sea 90 led (plan to get another one in a few weeks).

My current stock:
2 PJ Cardinals
2 Clownfish

I did a QT process for all the fish. Everyone is getting along quite well, but they’re a bit should I say, “inactive” (I really mean to say boring, but that sounds so wrong to say). Any other suggestions for bright/colorful fish that are fun to watch?

My tank looks a little sad - like it’s understocked- any recommendations would be appreciated. (I’m waiting until September/October to introduce coral- so I need fish that aren’t going to nip or eat coral).

By the way, this site really helped me navigate everything from cycling, QT’ing - it’s awesome to see a group of people come together and support each other!

Beautiful! I do enjoy my chromis and Lawnmower Blenny. Do you have a CUC? The preferred side could just be their marked territory! Haha. Once you get more inhabitants the right side will sure be claimed as a home. That drive! Wow! Do you have a Sump/refugium?

SoundDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My current stock:
2 PJ Cardinals
2 Clownfish

Welcome to the amazing world of reefing. I have had a tank for many years but recently moved it to Rochester and am trying to connect with fellow reefers in town. Let me know if you would like to meet up and swap knowledge/experience or even livestock.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and don't worry about the activity as that will increase as you add fish and corals over the years. Not much biodiversity in the tank yet but it will get there! Nice start!

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m up near White Bear Lake. When you’re ready for corals I can set you up with free/cheap frags.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back