OP
U

Unregistered User

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What equipment do you have so far?

O jeez! I'm at Starbucks getting an early a.m. fix. Can I get it to you this evening? :) I have a notebook.

My tank is a 52 gallon. The biggest hurdle will be the sump. I have a lack of sump building experience, and the location of my tank. I have an external fluval canister filter I'd like to start out using to at least get the tank cycling. Getting an RO unit installed Friday.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O jeez! I'm at Starbucks getting an early a.m. fix. Can I get it to you this evening? :) I have a notebook.

My tank is a 52 gallon. The biggest hurdle will be the sump. I have a lack of sump building experience, and the location of my tank. I have an external fluval canister filter I'd like to start out using to at least get the tank cycling. Getting an RO unit installed Friday.
Do you mean a hurdle to setup the sump you have, or do you need to get one?

So you're getting your own RO unit and mixing your own water which is great, because you're in 100% control, rather than relying on a supply from a third party like your LFS, or LAC (local aquatics centre) as I prefer.

Do you have some large means for water storage setup yet?

I plumbed in my RO unit in my garden shed and have a large container to harvest the pure water. I keep this heater and circulating, so it's ready to be mixed with the salt in smaller 5 gallon containers for water changes.
Something like yhis would probably cover your 10% weekly water change maintenance on that sized tank.

Some people have much more sophisticated means of harvesting, mixing and replenishing their water on larger systems, but this method works for me and it's worth thinking about and doing a little planning around.

I also think it would be a good idea to just get things started with your canister filter and you can use the time it takes to cycle and mature to work on the longer term setup.

One thing I would think about, probably before you fill it is your aquascape.

Are you going down the dry rock route, or given this area much thought yet?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with lots of photos and ask away! :)

andy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome. A canister filter will work ok, especially on a tank of that size. I did that with a fish only 90 gallon for a while. Now that I'm converting it to a reef, I've drilled it and am working on my sump. If you might want a sump (nice but not required, especially on a 52), consider drilling the tank and installing an overflow or just bulkhead plugs in the holes so that you don't have to break it down when it comes time to do the sump. Make sure to check that the glass is not tempered first of course, as that cannot be drilled.

Bradw18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in a ATO if you havnt already. Good D.C. Return pump so you can vary the flow easily. Again I use jebco due to cost and longevity i reef on a budget hintsball my cheap equipment. I run a Chinese black box over my fuge section in my sump. Have you thought about an aquarium controller?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back