New to the hobby - here’s my Red Sea Max Nano build

gph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

New to the hobby, and I’m slowly learning about best practices and all. Recently received and assembled my RS Max Nano with the following:

- 20lbs CaribSea Shapes LifeRock - I used Aquastik epoxy putty to aquascape
- 20lbs CaribSea special grade Arag-Alive reef sand
- Innovative Marine 5gal Hydrofill reservoir
- BRS 100w titanium heater system
- AI Nero3 powerhead
- Replaced filter sock with media basket filled with poly-fil and ceramic media
- Aquatic Life 4 stage RO system

Currently on day 5, and I’m using Red Sea’s Reef Mature Pro kit to cycle the tank. I’m not normally a patient person, so putting this together has been a practice in learning to do things methodically. I messed up my salinity by making the wrong calculation. Ended up putting too much salt, so I had to chase that down with more RO water. For testing, I’m using Hanna’s professional Reef Test kit. Figured out pretty quickly that it didn’t include everything I needed. Still waiting for Nitrite, Nitrate, and Ammonia kits that I ordered. Also, the carbon bag somehow ended up in the return chamber, which led to carbon particles being spread all over the sand and rock - oops…

I’m really excited to learn more and share with this group. Thank you all for all your helpful builds and posts!!

82C2E66A-99DF-4229-BD70-54E6C83339A1.jpeg 865740ED-D04A-44D3-A69E-58654296B53D.jpeg 28B53DAA-35F5-47DB-A32D-4D095B0608E1.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R!!! It looks like you are off to a great start!

OP
OP
G

gph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1909.jpeg
IMG_1908.jpeg
IMG_1924.jpeg
IMG_1925.jpeg
IMG_1930.jpeg

So a lot of changes since I started the tank. I'm not the most patient person, so I might need to slow down a bit. Stocked the tank with:

- Acans x3
- Favia
- Ricordea Florida x3
- Hammer x3
- Torch
- Frogspawn
- Toadstool leather
- Sinularia leather
- GSP
- Stars on Mars Goniopora
- Purple Stylophora
- Green Stylophora (got it free from LFS since it wasn't looking so great)
- Duncan
- Green Pavona
- Zoa x4

I also stocked the tank with a pair of clowns, Yasha goby and pistol shrimp, and a captive bred mandarin. Unfortunately, all but one clown died due to brooklynella finding its way into the tank. Setup a QT and treated them with Cupramine, but it was too late for the Yasha, Mandarin, and one clown. Learned my lesson, and will quarantine from now on. Lone clown is now in his QT - waiting 6 weeks before I re-introduce him to the DT. All that's in the DT now are snails, hermits, cleaner shrimp, and pistol shrimp.

I wanted to start on tank automation, so I took advantage of the Black Friday sale from BRS. Still need another DOS unit, since I'd like to use one for auto water changes, and the other two for dosing Red Sea Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium, and maybe trace elements since I'm trying out their Reef Care Program.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this hobby. Spend so much time just staring at the tank. It might've been a mistake placing this in my office, since I do my schoolwork here, and end up getting easily distracted and staring into the tank. Thanks so much to this community - I'm learning so much, and it's been incredibly helpful in the short time that I've been in the hobby. Appreciate you all!

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1909.jpeg
IMG_1908.jpeg
IMG_1924.jpeg
IMG_1925.jpeg
IMG_1930.jpeg

So a lot of changes since I started the tank. I'm not the most patient person, so I might need to slow down a bit. Stocked the tank with:

- Acans x3
- Favia
- Ricordea Florida x3
- Hammer x3
- Torch
- Frogspawn
- Toadstool leather
- Sinularia leather
- GSP
- Stars on Mars Goniopora
- Purple Stylophora
- Green Stylophora (got it free from LFS since it wasn't looking so great)
- Duncan
- Green Pavona
- Zoa x4

I also stocked the tank with a pair of clowns, Yasha goby and pistol shrimp, and a captive bred mandarin. Unfortunately, all but one clown died due to brooklynella finding its way into the tank. Setup a QT and treated them with Cupramine, but it was too late for the Yasha, Mandarin, and one clown. Learned my lesson, and will quarantine from now on. Lone clown is now in his QT - waiting 6 weeks before I re-introduce him to the DT. All that's in the DT now are snails, hermits, cleaner shrimp, and pistol shrimp.

I wanted to start on tank automation, so I took advantage of the Black Friday sale from BRS. Still need another DOS unit, since I'd like to use one for auto water changes, and the other two for dosing Red Sea Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium, and maybe trace elements since I'm trying out their Reef Care Program.

I'm thoroughly enjoying this hobby. Spend so much time just staring at the tank. It might've been a mistake placing this in my office, since I do my schoolwork here, and end up getting easily distracted and staring into the tank. Thanks so much to this community - I'm learning so much, and it's been incredibly helpful in the short time that I've been in the hobby. Appreciate you all!
Looks awesome!

Back