New to the hobby, question

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for 2 days and everything seems to be fine. I've been told I need to wait 30 days before adding fish. Should I be using my heater now? Didnt think it mattered until I have fish but thought I'd ask. If so, what temp should it be? Thx in advance

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Hello.gif

Your water should be around 70 to 80 F while it's cycling. You never mentioned cycling your tank. Is that what you are doing? Do you have ammonia and nitrate test kits?

Waiting 30 days is very arbitrary. You need to wait until your ammonia level goes back to zero, no matter how long it takes. Do you have rocks in the tank? Have you added anything to create some ammonia in the tank?

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank needs to be within the temperature range 21-26c (70-80f) of your tank is here without a heater then you don't need it on but if not then yes use your heater.
Have you cycled your tank? Just waiting 30 days seems like outdated information. I would suggest getting ammonia and nitrate test kit aswell as some bottled bacteria and ammonia and do a fishless cycle. Simply waiting 30 days doesn't guarantee the tank will be safe for fish as there may still not be any bacteria in the tank to break down the fish waste.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Run your tank as if there is livestock in there right now as you prepare for initial livestock.
Continue to add bacteria supplement weekly and do occasional testing

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
welcome to the reef,lots of good info already,what size tank,what is in there now,live/dry rock,how many lbs?

OP
OP
Volsman85

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Hello.gif

Your water should be around 70 to 80 F while it's cycling. You never mentioned cycling your tank. Is that what you are doing? Do you have ammonia and nitrate test kits?

Waiting 30 days is very arbitrary. You need to wait until your ammonia level goes back to zero, no matter how long it takes. Do you have rocks in the tank? Have you added anything to create some ammonia in the tank?
I do have "live rock" in the tank along with sand if course. My vendor never mentioned ammonia. I assume they would mention when I take my first water test to them. The only tester I have is a cheap hydrometer. My salt level is perfect.

OP
OP
Volsman85

Volsman85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank needs to be within the temperature range 21-26c (70-80f) of your tank is here without a heater then you don't need it on but if not then yes use your heater.
Have you cycled your tank? Just waiting 30 days seems like outdated information. I would suggest getting ammonia and nitrate test kit aswell as some bottled bacteria and ammonia and do a fishless cycle. Simply waiting 30 days doesn't guarantee the tank will be safe for fish as there may still not be any bacteria in the tank to break down the fish waste.
I assumed the 30 days was cycling the tank. Right now it's at 74 degrees without a heater. Guess I'll need to get the test kits you are referring to. I'm wondering if I've opened a can of worms. Lol

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
can of worms must be opened ,or your money goes in trash can ;) ,tests kits are a must,cheap hydro,put three side by side ,most likely different readings?

ReeferWolf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef 2 Reef.
There is an excellent article which goes into the nitrogen cycle and should answer some of your questions, although you probably will end up having more questions. But it's a good place to start.

Cycling an aquarium R2R

Lots of knowledge and excellent advice here.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed the 30 days was cycling the tank. Right now it's at 74 degrees without a heater. Guess I'll need to get the test kits you are referring to. I'm wondering if I've opened a can of worms. Lol
The article that has been mentioned here is a great piece of information. A cycle typically takes 4-6 week so you could have it cycled in 30 days if all goes well. You say you have live rock, does this mean the rock was underwater when you bought it? If this is the case and the rock is already established then you could quite possibly have fish in 30 days. I would still recommend getting a test kit as it is cheaper that getting your LFS to do it and if you need to check water in an emergency you can do it yourself.

This probably seems like a lot of information you are getting thrown at you now, I know it was when I first started but going through this now will save you stress and more importantly money in the future.
If you get through this part you will have a great hobby and great tank. The start is the hardest part

Back