New to the Hobby (Red Sea Reefer 250)

akaemu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were mine I’d go ahead and turn the return pump on. Then I would adjust the black valve that says Red Sea on it in the cabinet on the pipe to silence the drain noise you will most likely hear. If your water is a little low the ato should bring it to the correct level.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were mine I’d go ahead and turn the return pump on. Then I would adjust the black valve that says Red Sea on it in the cabinet on the pipe to silence the drain noise you will most likely hear. If your water is a little low the ato should bring it to the correct level.
So the sump is at the correct level right now? And should I put the RO water in the auto top off right now?

akaemu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put water in the auto top off. You can close the little white valve coming out of the ato reservoir all the way and it won’t drip yet if you are worried about that. The optimal once everything is running is about 1 drip per second. The best I can tell from pictures is your water level is now at least close.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the dc pump started up and am adjusting the Red Sea tube. There is an empty suction noise that comes from the top that I cannot get rid of. What is this?
You can put water in the auto top off. You can close the little white valve coming out of the ato reservoir all the way and it won’t drip yet if you are worried about that. The optimal once everything is running is about 1 drip per second. The best I can tell from pictures is your water level is now at least close.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I just started up the skimmer and it is just foaming up. When will it start skimming gunk? Is it just breaking in?

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having trouble adjusting the return pump nozzle. I cannot get it to be silent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the skimmer currently... looks like it is skimming some gunk. Do I dump out the stuff collected in the collection cup?

IMG_3943.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg

IMG_3945.jpg

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mean the gate valve on the pipe coming down from the overflow right?

Take your cover off of your overflow up top and show us what the water level looks like in the overflow box

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water should only be going down the clear right side tube. Slowly adjust the gate valve counter clockwise waiting 30-60 seconds between each click until your water level is below the grey pipe on the left.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it won't look like water is going into the clear tube, water doesn't go over the top of it, the water enters on the sides.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water should only be going down the clear right side tube. Slowly adjust the gate valve counter clockwise waiting 30-60 seconds between each click until your water level is below the grey pipe on the left.
Ok I will try this. Which Red Sea test kits should I get. There are many of them online.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a refractometer if you don't have one yet.

The rest depends on what you plan on doing with your tank. Will you have fish only? Will you introduce corals? Will you be dosing nutrients or maintaining nutrients by doing water changes?

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok the top is now silent. However, there is an annoying trickling noise in the sump. Any idea of what it could be? Here is what the overflow looks like now.

IMG_3950.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a refractometer if you don't have one yet.

The rest depends on what you plan on doing with your tank. Will you have fish only? Will you introduce corals? Will you be dosing nutrients or maintaining nutrients by doing water changes?
I will be having a mixed reef and not introduce nutrients.

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep tweaking that valve until you get what you expect, just never allow water to go down the grey pipe, this is the emergency drain pipe to prevent your tank from overflowing if your main pipe clogs.

Your water level could still be low in your sump causing the noise, but I think you'll get the results you want by tweaking that valve some more. You need to find the sweet spot.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep tweaking that valve until you get what you expect, just never allow water to go down the grey pipe, this is the emergency drain pipe to prevent your tank from overflowing if your main pipe clogs.

Your water level could still be low in your sump causing the noise, but I think you'll get the results you want by tweaking that valve some more. You need to find the sweet spot.
Alright I'll keep trying

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, does my sand bed seem too thin? I have about 10 more pounds left over in a bowl but it is dried out live sand.

IMG_3952.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back