New to the Hobby (Red Sea Reefer 250)

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the main compartment should always have 6 inches. Below that will trigger your ATO, unless you adjust it.

upload_2018-1-27_18-6-47.png

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because whenever I turn on both the return pump and skimmer the return pump compartment gets low

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 inches of water in your main return pump compartment will allow the power to fail without your system overflowing.

You need to get it to 6 inches with everything running.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it happens when I turn on only the return pump. It takes the water from the chamber

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked I filled it up and it is now working long term. So the only other things I need to figure out are the float switch and the ATO. Is this what the float switch is supposed to do? Is it in the correct spot?

IMG_3959.jpg

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which float switch? The red Sea one should be setup to fill from your ATO if the level drops under 6 inches. Did you actually measure? Because it looks overfilled based on your pictire

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which float switch? The red Sea one should be setup to fill from your ATO if the level drops under 6 inches. Did you actually measure? Because it looks overfilled based on your pictire
No this is the one for the varios pump

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the only thing I need to do to get my Red Sea ATO ready is fill in up with freshwater and it's ready to go?

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the various needs to be a bit lower just a bit above the intake of the return pump so it triggers to turn off the pump when it hits that low spot and not let the pump run dry

Branespikin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The red sea float is not to be submerged. Water pressure will push it up to the point where it will be closed and not let water from your gravity fed ATO to come out. Once that white float drops down when water level gets low it will open up and let water from ATO in and fill up that compartment to the point the red sea float goes back up again and closes

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's about 7.5, same level as the skimmer chamber and sponge chamber
You need to remove 1.5 inches, they shouldn't be the same. I hate to be the bad guy here, but why ask for advice if you don't listen to it?

Your ATO can't work with the water above 6 inches. Your saltwater will evaporate and no be replaced with RODI, causing your salinity to be too high.

OP
OP
L

Lucas Lembke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a rule of thumb the ball in the return pump chamber is almost barely submerged but not quite. Is this correct?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 39 47.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 17 20.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.8%
Back