New to the Hobby.

Tangalang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I'm relatively new to the hobby as the title suggests. I've been to a couple local stores since I began and they were pretty decent but their prices were not. I have found a guy with great prices though. If you are into corals like I am. You should really check him out. He's very informative and helpful. He asked me to spread the word and I usually just look on this forum and don't post. Since he's helped me out so much I figured I'd help him out too. You can find him on Facebook here https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaCorals32/His contact info is also there if you don't have a facebook. Hopefully this helps new or even old timers in the hobby with some coral deals! I think he even said he services tanks. If you're looking for that.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay another SC reefer! Welcome! Where are you located? There are three good reef stores in the Columbia area. Aquarium Specialty, Fishy Business and Palmetto Reef.
I was just thinking the same thing, lol. Definitely nice to see a couple people from my neck of the woods so to speak. Do either of you guy know if there is a South Carolina reefers group on here?

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That odd, being close to the ocean I figured that we would have more. I'm actually near the top of the state. Little town called Cheraw... but I'm only an hour and a half from Myrtle Beach and about two hours from Columbia.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right in the middle. Columbia. I've been to fishy business and Palmetto Reef. I'll have to look up Aquarium Specialty. I haven't been there. Do they have a good selection of corals?
I'm from the south side of Columbia.
Aq Spec is more mail order only but Scott and his crew have been super helpful and I have been by their shop on a couple of occasions. Good thing to keep in mind if FB or PR doesn't have something you need, you can usually order before 3:30 and it will be on your doorstep the next day. (If in stock that is, he keeps a lot in stock)

OP
OP
T

Tangalang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from the south side of Columbia.
Aq Spec is more mail order only but Scott and his crew have been super helpful and I have been by their shop on a couple of occasions. Good thing to keep in mind if FB or PR doesn't have something you need, you can usually order before 3:30 and it will be on your doorstep the next day. (If in stock that is, he keeps a lot in stock)

Nice didn't think I would get any responses at all. I'll have to try and get more involved with the community here.
I'm fine with mail order. They have a decent site from what I see. I really value helpfulness so, I'll have to stop by the store and see what they are about. Thanks for the info and responses everyone.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check with Will at palmetto about a reef club. It seems he has said something about one to me, but I'm out of town a lot and it would be hard to be involved. If there is anything I can to to help, just hit me up here with a pm. I'm still learning myself but I am starting to get a good foundation.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would check with Will at palmetto about a reef club. It seems he has said something about one to me, but I'm out of town a lot and it would be hard to be involved. If there is anything I can to to help, just hit me up here with a pm. I'm still learning myself but I am starting to get a good foundation.
I am new as new can be so I'm sure I will take you up on the man..[emoji106]

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right in the middle. Columbia. I've been to fishy business and Palmetto Reef. I'll have to look up Aquarium Specialty. I haven't been there. Do they have a good selection of corals?

I'm in Lugoff, just north east of Columbia in Kershaw County. Aquarium Specialty is off of I20 on Clemson Rd., before you get to Two Notch Rd. It's only 15 minutes from my house. Scott and Dane are super helpful guys. It's not a big place but they have a pretty nice set up and great prices on corals. There's more dry goods in the back than what's in the showroom. Ask if you don't see something. I had them order some Red Sea Reef Foundation part B powder on a Thursday or Friday and it was in the next week. I've been to Palmetto a few times and I like that store a lot, it just takes me forever to get there. Actually, I just bought some cycled live rock from him last week for my nano tank. I wasn't too impressed with Fishy Business, might have just been too busy the time I went in there. Nice sized store though. I might have to go back over there this weekend.

Reef_Tank_Fan_SC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Lugoff, just north east of Columbia in Kershaw County. Aquarium Specialty is off of I20 on Clemson Rd., before you get to Two Notch Rd. It's only 15 minutes from my house. Scott and Dane are super helpful guys. It's not a big place but they have a pretty nice set up and great prices on corals. There's more dry goods in the back than what's in the showroom. Ask if you don't see something. I had them order some Red Sea Reef Foundation part B powder on a Thursday or Friday and it was in the next week. I've been to Palmetto a few times and I like that store a lot, it just takes me forever to get there. Actually, I just bought some cycled live rock from him last week for my nano tank. I wasn't too impressed with Fishy Business, might have just been too busy the time I went in there. Nice sized store though. I might have to go back over there this weekend.
Sweet, I have been trying to decide where I was gonna be getting my stick from once I'm done with my cycle. I don't mind ordering it online but honestly I feel better with face to face interaction. Maybe I'm just old school... lol. There is also a guy in North Myrtle Beach who has a little store called Sea Critters. It's a tiny store but the guy has a nice coral selection and is really helpful. He even took time to help me get my stuff together so I could start my reef tank. I'm sure I will at least go that way and check him out also.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, I have been trying to decide where I was gonna be getting my stick from once I'm done with my cycle. I don't mind ordering it online but honestly I feel better with face to face interaction. Maybe I'm just old school... lol. There is also a guy in North Myrtle Beach who has a little store called Sea Critters. It's a tiny store but the guy has a nice coral selection and is really helpful. He even took time to help me get my stuff together so I could start my reef tank. I'm sure I will at least go that way and check him out also.
Sweet, my dad owns a house that way so I go often... I'll have to look him up and stop by to check the place out.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they have a walk in store front now? Its been a while since I've been.

OP
OP
T

Tangalang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah bit of a drive for me seems worth it though. So no problem. Funny there's a Scott that works at FB too. Size doesn't really matter. Quality over quantity to me :D FB didn't have much to my liking in corals and what they did was a little pricey nor did PR. They are pretty good stores no doubt though.

Back