New to the Hobby!

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there all.

I am new to the Hobby and have just started. I have purchased a Whale mini 120 since it was very cheap! I only have a 10 gallon tank due to size. I have a heater that is a 50W. I am looking for some guidance to startup. I have added my salt water to the tank and when I added it the sand blew up and it got all messy. I am planning on fixing the sand when everything settles. I wanted an opinion on how everything looks. I do not have any lights or rocks or anything.

I was told I should give at least 3 weeks before putting anything into the tank so I could let the tank do a full cycle.

Is my tank normal right now for its state of starting out and is moving the sand to level when everything settled alright?
cece0705532ff7e43ebc0d27b13d6e5b.jpg

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using dry or live rock I would add it now rather than later as it will need to cycle with your tank and doing what you want with the sand would probably be better now than later as whatever you do will make the water look like it does now and it will have to resettle

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using dry or live rock I would add it now rather than later as it will need to cycle with your tank and doing what you want with the sand would probably be better now than later as whatever you do will make the water look like it does now and it will have to resettle
Thank you Josh! Was just having some leakage problems with my filter down below. Hoping I fixed it.

I will have to go to the store to get live rocks next week. I wanted to know if I needed lighting for the live rocks right away?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're very welcome, and leaks are definitely stressful and something to focus on first. You do not need lights in order for your tank to cycle with the live rock. In fact no lights will help hinder the growth of algae that is common in new tanks, not that algae is a bad thing, I enjoyes it growing while my tank cycled.

budau18

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your ultimate plans with the tank fish only or do you want to do corals?

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're very welcome, and leaks are definitely stressful and something to focus on first. You do not need lights in order for your tank to cycle with the live rock. In fact no lights will help hinder the growth of algae that is common in new tanks, not that algae is a bad thing, I enjoyes it growing while my tank cycled.
Awesome!
Had to stay up late last night to figure out why it was leaking. Still leaking this morning. I can't find anything online, have you heard anything like this before on my type of filter?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with canister filters but we can always start with the basics. Where is it leaking from? pics would be helpful

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no experience with canister filters but we can always start with the basics. Where is it leaking from? pics would be helpful
Leaking from the back of the canister. I had taken it apart and dumped the water out. I closed the seal tight. Back meaning the front because I have the front to the back of my cabinet.

Is this a good filter Josh? The pet store said it was a good filter but I'm starting to think not.
6906cd2928bb5c293543c9c30ac2b666.jpg

There is a tiny line of water on it. I just wiped it down.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet is there's a small piece of debris on or near the seal, it only takes the tiniest piece to create a small leak in a seal. I would suggest a sump rather than an external canister filter myself but there are plenty of those out there that do use canisters on there set up. If you decide to stick with the canister definitely keep up on the weekly maintenance.

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet is there's a small piece of debris on or near the seal, it only takes the tiniest piece to create a small leak in a seal. I would suggest a sump rather than an external canister filter myself but there are plenty of those out there that do use canisters on there set up. If you decide to stick with the canister definitely keep up on the weekly maintenance.
Weekly maintenance as in cleaning the filters I have inside Josh?

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh I'm seeing lots of people say they rather use sumps than the canister. Did I make the wrong decision with this?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are by far the more popular choice as they can hide heaters and other equipment such as skimmers. Keeping them out of the display and at the same time increasing your water volume which is a key thing for us beginners as it helps make it easier to maintain stable parameters. It is the route I took with my set up and what many would recommend. I wouldn't say you made a bad choice as some people do use canisters but more of an uninformed choice. And yes, weekly filter cleanings at a minimum.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I would wait a lot longer than three weeks, personally. Months, even, ideally. I know it is hard but nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

Feed with dead shrimp to keep the nitrogen cycle moving! :)

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sumps are by far the more popular choice as they can hide heaters and other equipment such as skimmers. Keeping them out of the display and at the same time increasing your water volume which is a key thing for us beginners as it helps make it easier to maintain stable parameters. It is the route I took with my set up and what many would recommend. I wouldn't say you made a bad choice as some people do use canisters but more of an uninformed choice. And yes, weekly filter cleanings at a minimum.
Okay. If I cannot get a replacement from the store I purchased it from our cannot figure out the leak I think that is the path I will be taking.

How often would you recommend me doing water changes? I am not sure if the levels in the tank right now seeing as I just set it up yesterday.

I am also thinking of going to get my live rock tomorrow and get a form in so I can hide the intake tube. Would it be okay for me to put a rock and corals in front of it. I mean it time when I add corals. It won't mess it up or cause harm to anything?

OP
OP
B

Brandon7878

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

I would wait a lot longer than three weeks, personally. Months, even, ideally. I know it is hard but nothing good happens quickly in this hobby.

Feed with dead shrimp to keep the nitrogen cycle moving! :)
You mean just drop some dead shrimp in there?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you want to do this,?
Once should be good. As @4FordFamily suggested, you are using the shrimp to kick start the ammonia spike. Pull the shrimp in a week. At about 30 to 45 days add your clean up crew, at about 6 to 8 weeks you can add a hardy coral or two. At 8 to 10 week a fish. As suggested patients is your friend in reefing.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back