New to the salt life

Denali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, new to the salt life. I swore I never would do it but here I am. I’ve been a hooked hobbyist since I was a toddler watching my dad in his fish room. I’ve kept many different types of freshwater fish over the years but cichlids have always been at the center of my addiction. Africans, South American, Central American, “New world” and what’s had me making poor financial decisions the last 3.5 years... Hybrids.

My wife has always wanted a reef tank, so About 2 years back I impulsively bought some pre mixed salt water and some clowns thinking it would push her into the hobby, I was wrong as my timing was horrible. She is a mother of 3, working full time and was going to school full time so this tank never received a single thought of hers. One day I found the clowns had moved some sand causing some live rock to tip over and one clown sadly passed. She recently saw this lone survivor who now resides under a stand of another tank in a 10g. She called dibs on one of my 9 tanks a really clean 35 gallon tall and told me to set it up upstairs where she will be able to tend to it. She seams excited and has already told me this is going to be her tank.

I plan to use the 35g tall and transfer everything from the 10g. I have salt mix to get the new tank filled. I plan on using the HOB that’s on the 35g until I turn the 10g into a sump. At that point is when I intend to let her learn and do her thing as we acquire equipment to make things easier. She is very aesthetic, has expensive taste and is insanely cheap so this outta be fun. So far I’ve found her researching seahorses, corals and clams, so I’m sure they are in the future. I’m planning on giving her one of my larger tanks eventually if this is something she enjoys.

Anyways the point was to say hi. So

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back