New to the saltwater hobby

clorein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have recently found an interest in the saltwater hobby I got into because a friend that was into dart frogs was also into coral but I do have some questions i am currently cycling a shallow 10 gallon tank

do You need a protein skimmer ive heard people say they don’t because it can strip excess nutrients that is in the water

what good brand supplements can I use to dose the water to add back the nutrients that has been sucked up

what is a good light that can grow coral for under 100

what do I need for The long term to make sure my tank will thrive I’m mostly going to have lps Corals its Going to be a coral only tank to Grow frags and colony’s and then I will make my way up to bigger tanks with fish, shrimp, and live rock stuf like that

what are some good foods so far I have frozen brine shrimp and reef roids

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have recently found an interest in the saltwater hobby I got into because a friend that was into dart frogs was also into coral but I do have some questions i am currently cycling a shallow 10 gallon tank

do You need a protein skimmer ive heard people say they don’t because it can strip excess nutrients that is in the water

what good brand supplements can I use to dose the water to add back the nutrients that has been sucked up

what is a good light that can grow coral for under 100

what do I need for The long term to make sure my tank will thrive I’m mostly going to have lps Corals its Going to be a coral only tank to Grow frags and colony’s and then I will make my way up to bigger tanks with fish, shrimp, and live rock stuf like that

what are some good foods so far I have frozen brine shrimp and reef roids

I dislike "Reef Roids" as a coral food as it can spike unwanted nutrients. I prefer "BenePets" for coral food.

Lighting is a topic that can be discussed till the cows come home, leave, and come home again without ever finding a result everyone agrees on.

Why supplement nutrients when a fish or two will do the job naturally? Ever been to a coral store? Notice they almost always have a couple fish (usually a tang) in the tanks? They eat the algae and provide the nutrients that the corals need.

Protein skimmers are not needed.. PROVIDED that you are diligent in your husbandry. What the skimmers remove can be removed by water changes. On a 10g system, water changes are a must. So, I would say no to a skimmer. You will be changing water fast enough that it will be irrelevant to add a skimmer

OP
OP
clorein

clorein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dislike "Reef Roids" as a coral food as it can spike unwanted nutrients. I prefer "BenePets" for coral food.

Lighting is a topic that can be discussed till the cows come home, leave, and come home again without ever finding a result everyone agrees on.

Why supplement nutrients when a fish or two will do the job naturally? Ever been to a coral store? Notice they almost always have a couple fish (usually a tang) in the tanks? They eat the algae and provide the nutrients that the corals need.

Protein skimmers are not needed.. PROVIDED that you are diligent in your husbandry. What the skimmers remove can be removed by water changes. On a 10g system, water changes are a must. So, I would say no to a skimmer. You will be changing water fast enough that it will be irrelevant to add a skimmer
No I have not been to a coral store so there is no need to buy 100$ plus worth of supplements if I can just get fish that’s good to know what type of fish do you recomend

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not been to a coral store so there is no need to buy 100$ plus worth of supplements if I can just get fish that’s good to know what type of fish do you recomend

For a 10g tank, Tangs are out of the question. What you need is an algae grazer that will both provide for your corals, and be small enough to live happily in a tank that small.

I am afraid that this is an area beyond my expertise. Perhaps someone else will chime in here to help you out.

Nano tanks are not my thing.. sorry.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back