New to the Saltwater set up

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, @RWolf86 , I'm so glad you joined. I too, am from Arizona. I just purchased two tangs from Seth at Ocean Floor yesterday. He is a great guy and a fantastic source for information. Dan and Jason from Ocean floor are wonderful sources for reef advice too. Acrylic or glass is a personal preference -- I went with glass because I have kids and am clumsy and glass is less likely to scratch. But if situations were different, I would go acrylic. It comes down to the person purchasing the tank. You can buy an RO buddie from Amazon that works great -- it just hooks up to your faucet whenever you want to make RODI water. However, it is designed for a smaller set up. For a large set up, you might just want to buy water from Ocean floor. It is only 30 cents per gallon. Yes, you have to haul it up to the 7th floor, but it is cheap. I'm not certain if your landlord would let you hook an RODI unit up to your plumbing. Welcome to R2R! You will love it here.
Arizona Hello.gif

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Just decided to stay in my apartment for another year (and probably indefinitely if I pull the trigger on what I want) and stumbled into Ocean Floor here in Phoenix AZ. Seth there was extremely helpful in laying out the basics of owning and caring for a salt water tank. I've had several fresh water set up in my late youth but am ready to graduate to salt. Looking at 150g - 240g set up. But am torn on weather Acrylic or glass would be a better option. Also living in an apartment on the 7th floor, what are some alternatives to bringing in water? Is there a filtration system to make RO/DI from Tap water in large quantities?
That's a lot of weight to have on a 7th floor apartment. Like as in a couple thousand pounds. I'm building a 280 gallon setup. Between the tank, water weight, rock, stand/wall unit, sump water volume, all other equipment... I'm close to 4000 lbs of total mass concentrated on 2 ft. X 7 ft. Space. However I'm on a concrete floor at ground level.

RobW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, @RWolf86 , I'm so glad you joined. I too, am from Arizona. I just purchased two tangs from Seth at Ocean Floor yesterday. He is a great guy and a fantastic source for information. Dan and Jason from Ocean floor are wonderful sources for reef advice too. Acrylic or glass is a personal preference -- I went with glass because I have kids and am clumsy and glass is less likely to scratch. But if situations were different, I would go acrylic. It comes down to the person purchasing the tank. You can buy an RO buddie from Amazon that works great -- it just hooks up to your faucet whenever you want to make RODI water. However, it is designed for a smaller set up. For a large set up, you might just want to buy water from Ocean floor. It is only 30 cents per gallon. Yes, you have to haul it up to the 7th floor, but it is cheap. I'm not certain if your landlord would let you hook an RODI unit up to your plumbing. Welcome to R2R! You will love it here.
Arizona Hello.gif
he can actually easily accomplish hooking up an rodi unit with any modifications to the plumbing in the unit. You can get a tee adapter for the cold water stop under the kitchen sink. It's just a compression style fitting that would slip in between the kitchen faucet cold water supply line. It can then be removed if he decides to move without any need for plumber to be called in to make repairs like from a piercing valve through a copper line.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone! Just decided to stay in my apartment for another year (and probably indefinitely if I pull the trigger on what I want) and stumbled into Ocean Floor here in Phoenix AZ. Seth there was extremely helpful in laying out the basics of owning and caring for a salt water tank. I've had several fresh water set up in my late youth but am ready to graduate to salt. Looking at 150g - 240g set up. But am torn on weather Acrylic or glass would be a better option. Also living in an apartment on the 7th floor, what are some alternatives to bringing in water? Is there a filtration system to make RO/DI from Tap water in large quantities?

RO unit with a booster should make nice quantities of water for you quickly. Best way to bring in water and a 22 or 40 gallon brute can will store water for your needs as they arise.

5d3ed014fd2426469231993d5270ca1d.jpg

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty side! Keep us updated on your new build by starting a build thread, with lots of pictures preferably ;)

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Decisions, decisions,,,
For your situation, I would go acrylic, get a quality RO/DI unit and start enjoying the hobby.
Share and Like often!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.3%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.3%
Back