New to the Salty Life

Deep dive coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Right now we just have an Aqueon QuietFlow 30 but I’m already considering upgrading to a canister filter?

It is a small tank. We’ve been using poly filter to help strip the extra ammonia as well.
I personally dont like canister filters. I'd rather oversize a hang on back filter. Maybe something like this. Since you said you want to go FOWLR. Built in UV sterilizer, and get the 40gal tank version.
24134333a54a23c0804f24b5956aff07.jpg

Adam_C

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! It looks like you have a pretty good plan so far. I definitely agree with Captrichc's post about getting either a lid or a screen top to keep those fish in. Keep learning/researching as much as you can and before you know it, you'll be addicted like the rest of us ;Bookworm. Take your time and remember to make any changes slowly. Best of luck! -Adam

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time to up size your system already lol, there's no way on god's green earth i could keep a 20 gal stable, unless it had a 100 gal sump! ;Cat ;Cat ;Cat

but my brother had a 10 gal back in the undergravel filter days (1970s?), and kept 2 clowns and a nem for years and years!

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you say 6 (six) children? Like you had five, then had another, then got a saltwater fish tank? ;Greedy;Hurting:eek:;Jawdrop

I don't know whether to fall to my knees and praise you for unparalleled patience and tenacity or to reach out and try to alert the relevant authorities that there's a crazy guy on here.. lol.

You're going to need to do a massive upgrade! IMHO, you'll need at least a 6', pedestal style tank just so there's enough room for the whole family to sit around and look at it together!!

Seriously though, welcome to you, your family, and Atlas.

welcomeXD.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Adventures In Reefing

Semper Fidelis
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! ;) Many people have been successful with canister filters on a tank your size. Remember the filter needs to cycle as well so if you are going to do it sooner is better. Like what was stated above a cover for the fish you have chosen would be a must have or you will end up with fish jerky on the floor. I find it interesting that you have a bubble tip (challenging in its own right) but no clowns to host, It is not necessary I just found it interesting.

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you say 6 (six) children? Like you had five, then had another, then got a saltwater fish tank? ;Greedy;Hurting:eek:;Jawdrop

I don't know whether to fall to my knees and praise you for unparalleled patience and tenacity or to reach out and try to alert the relevant authorities that there's a crazy guy on here.. lol.

You're going to need to do a massive upgrade! IMHO, you'll need at least a 6', pedestal style tank just so there's enough room for the whole family to sit around and look at it together!!

Seriously though, welcome to you, your family, and Atlas.

welcomeXD.gif

We passed crazy a long time ago! My oldest is 13 and he’s pulling me into his addiction.

OP
OP
AtlasReef

AtlasReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! ;) Many people have been successful with canister filters on a tank your size. Remember the filter needs to cycle as well so if you are going to do it sooner is better. Like what was stated above a cover for the fish you have chosen would be a must have or you will end up with fish jerky on the floor. I find it interesting that you have a bubble tip (challenging in its own right) but no clowns to host, It is not necessary I just found it interesting.
That’s a great thought. Thanks!

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome!!! We are glad to have you part of our reefing family.

You are off to a good start, asking questions right away. Remember, dont rush. Only thing that can and will happen quickly is devastation. Take your time adding livestock, and that includes corals and anemones. personally I wait at least 6 months if not longer to add corals and anemones

Now if you would like to add a clean up crew (snails, crabs, shrimp) that will be good after about a month once some algea starts growing and they have something to eat.

Also, as funs as it might be, especially for the kiddos, unless you are familiar with the water chemistry at the beach and what you are collecting, leave the critters at the beach and out of your tank. There is no telling what parasites or whatever else they could introduce into your system.

Please continue to ask more questions and post some photos.

Back