New to the sw hobby, is a pico reef a good idea?

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very experienced in the fw hobby. I have set up a 3/4 gallon pico. I have got all the equipment and have cycled. Before I buy my zoas abd mushroom I want to say is this a good idea... I have already bought everything but stock..

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very experienced in the fw hobby. I have set up a 3/4 gallon pico. I have got all the equipment and have cycled. Before I buy my zoas abd mushroom I want to say is this a good idea... I have already bought everything but stock..

I have seen you here for a while.. I expect you have been doing your research and have a grasp of what you are getting into. I say go for it!

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pico, especially such a small one, will be challenging even for someone experienced. Just look at the mini complete tank challenge thread, it’s very difficult to keep steady salinity, temp, lighting can be difficult (and influences the former concerns). It’s just leaves very little room for error. That said, if you think you’re up for it, go for it (though I do wonder why you didn’t go with even a 5 gallon tank, which still has its challenges but is probably an order of magnitude easier than a sub-gallon pico). Do you have proper test kits and a refractometer? Again, I don’t want to sound like I’m discouraging you, just that for your first tank you’ve made things about as challenging as possible. But it’s doable (though I would maybe start with something even easier than zoas, maybe a mushroom or some gsp or clove polyps), just make sure that you stay on top of everything.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a pico, especially such a small one, will be challenging even for someone experienced. Just look at the mini complete tank challenge thread, it’s very difficult to keep steady salinity, temp, lighting can be difficult (and influences the former concerns). It’s just leaves very little room for error. That said, if you think you’re up for it, go for it (though I do wonder why you didn’t go with even a 5 gallon tank, which still has its challenges but is probably an order of magnitude easier than a sub-gallon pico). Do you have proper test kits and a refractometer? Again, I don’t want to sound like I’m discouraging you, just that for your first tank you’ve made things about as challenging as possible. But it’s doable (though I would maybe start with something even easier than zoas, maybe a mushroom or some gsp or clove polyps), just make sure that you stay on top of everything.

I agree with this.. the tank you propose is probably one of the most advanced level tanks out there.

That said, I love experimenting. If you feel up to the challenge, then do it!!

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered nessasary test kits.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is overrated! Wild reefs are not stable! Especially not for 90% of the corals in the trade which come from shallow lagoons and flats. They get blasted with rainstorms frequently which absolutely swings salinity quickly. Cold upwellings come into reefs all the time not to mention the highly seasonal variation of places like lord howe island! pH swings happen in the wild too for various reasons. In many places, all sorts of corals, yes even freaking acros, bake in the hot sun for several hours a day out of water.

I think "stability" really doesn't matter to hardy corals like the ones you're likely to keep in a pico anyways. I am not sure it matters even to the "difficult" corals (within reason)

The most difficult part of reefkeeping is long term consistency in maintenance. A pico is very easy to clean and garden in. I'd bet on success for 5 well kept gallons over 50 gallons of lazy.

If OP wants a pico get a pico. It's small enough that if you regret it starting over isn't the end of the world anyways.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability is overrated! Wild reefs are not stable! Especially not for 90% of the corals in the trade which come from shallow lagoons and flats. They get blasted with rainstorms frequently which absolutely swings salinity quickly. Cold upwellings come into reefs all the time not to mention the highly seasonal variation of places like lord howe island! pH swings happen in the wild too for various reasons. In many places, all sorts of corals, yes even freaking acros, bake in the hot sun for several hours a day out of water.

I think "stability" really doesn't matter to hardy corals like the ones you're likely to keep in a pico anyways. I am not sure it matters even to the "difficult" corals (within reason)

The most difficult part of reefkeeping is long term consistency in maintenance. A pico is very easy to clean and garden in. I'd bet on success for 5 well kept gallons over 50 gallons of lazy.

If OP wants a pico get a pico. It's small enough that if you regret it starting over isn't the end of the world anyways.

This is the thinking I try to convey.

Push the limits, expand the envelope. Don't let the armchair experts tell you what can not be done. Be stubborn enough to do it anyway and prove the doubters wrong!!! This is how I run my tanks and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the thinking I try to convey.

Push the limits, expand the envelope. Don't let the armchair experts tell you what can not be done. Be stubborn enough to do it anyway and prove the doubters wrong!!! This is how I run my tanks and I really don't care what anyone else thinks about it.
Sounds like my kinda style

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol thanks

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept all sizes of tanks and agree “they” oversaturate us with the stability thing…

I’d mind my temp swings and evaporation more than anything with a small tank. Go for it

Zer0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing about nanos and picos is that you can replace 100% of the water very fast, in the event that something goes wrong. And water changes are your best friend in this hobby, regardless of size.

Advice I could give you is be careful with the lighting. With such a low volume of water, it’s easy to provide too much light.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep pico, id say they generally easy the one thing i have trouble of are coral placement, kenya tree are stinging everything… coral selection is definitely important.. best coral imo are xeniids they wont sting and they cant get sting and they will easily make your pico reef look full in no time… wc every 2 weeks.. if something goes wrong its one water change away from fixing it.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH MAN PICO REEFS.....I used to keep them. They are super fun, but you have to know your limits. I have a 3 gallon cookie jar, which is currently not up and running. I would suggest finding the CORAL magazine article written by Brandon429 as a good reference point. That whole issue is dedicated to the PICOs. Basically you can keep coral in them, but no livestock. I had xenia, kenya tree, ya know....tuff stuff. I think I had a favites in there too. I would watch the evap (biggest issue) and try to keep the lid on to prevent it. You'll need to do near 100% WCs at least weekly on it.

Aiptaisia anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep pico, id say they generally easy the one thing i have trouble of are coral placement, kenya tree are stinging everything… coral selection is definitely important.. best coral imo are xeniids they wont sting and they cant get sting and they will easily make your pico reef look full in no time… wc every 2 weeks.. if something goes wrong its one water change away from fixing it.
I forgot to add, that i use purigen it definitely help with bioload if you feed corals like i do.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH MAN PICO REEFS.....I used to keep them. They are super fun, but you have to know your limits. I have a 3 gallon cookie jar, which is currently not up and running. I would suggest finding the CORAL magazine article written by Brandon429 as a good reference point. That whole issue is dedicated to the PICOs. Basically you can keep coral in them, but no livestock. I had xenia, kenya tree, ya know....tuff stuff. I think I had a favites in there too. I would watch the evap (biggest issue) and try to keep the lid on to prevent it. You'll need to do near 100% WCs at least weekly on it.
This
was gonna say, do near 100% or very high percentage changes weekly it will do well. So basically get real good at making SW exactly how you neeed it (should be everyone’s first skill) but I def say go for it, you will learn a lot.
GL!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 104 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 53 29.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 64 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 54 29.8%
Back