New to this. And am stuck and frustrated.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drawing-dolphins-hand-painted-dolphin-cartoon-image-and-fish-images.jpg

Glad you joined us!

Cloudy water, well..... White cloudiness- bacterial bloom. Green cloudiness- algae bloom.

What's your water change schedule like?

Ultraviolet sterilizer (UV) will clear the water crystal clear. No need to dose anything.

I would recommend getting your own RO/DI unit to make your our own water. LFS sometimes don't change their filters as they should.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you joined us!

Cloudy water, well..... White cloudiness- bacterial bloom. Green cloudiness- algae bloom.

Ultraviolet sterilizer (UV) will clear the water crystal clear. No need to dose anything.

I would recommend getting your own RO/DI unit to make your our own water. LFS sometimes don't change their filters as they should.

As flipper stated, it's more than likely a bacterial bloom. Hook up a UV sterilizer and you should be good.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you joined us!

I change 20% of the water once a week. I’ve actually done a few extra smaller changes since this cloudiness issue.
The UV sterilizer, are there any negative side affects? I would love crystal clear water but obviously I’d rather have it look awful but have everyone in there happy and healthy!

I’ll check into personal RO / DI. But if I spend much more my wife will likely divorce me. And that’s way more expensive lol

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you joined us!

No idea why I’m surprised. But I’ve found no less than 1,374,244 UV lights in my search. Do you (or anyone) have one they like or can recommend?

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my nanos if I can fit it, I just run the green machine from petsmart or petco.

I run a UV 24/7. Bacterial blooms can come and go if you don't have one. Especially after a good feeding or even after water changes.

I haven't see much harm from having one and I've used them for about 9 years.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. This hobby can be immensely frustrating. Be patient, follow the best advice on here and you'll get someplace. May not be exactly where you wanted to be and you're probably not going to go the way you thought, but you'll get there.

Only words of advice I have now. Lock down the basics, get best water you can, go slow with anything new. Don't chase success...focus on solid, tried and true husbandry, success will come.

Fla04gbf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello WisconsinReefing, i had the same cloudiness in my DT last week. Actually it happened twice. It looked like a bacterially bloom just like the ones i had. I found out that was due to my cheato overgrowing in the refugium that i had neglected and it covered all the light and killed some of my red Macroalgae that was stuff to the rock underneath. If it is bacterially bloom you don’t need to worry just find out what is dead in system and change your filter floss or socks wait a fee hours then everything will be back to normal. There is no fish or coral death, right? Have a good day and keep reefing !

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello WisconsinReefing, i had the same cloudiness in my DT last week. Actually it happened twice. It looked like a bacterially bloom just like the ones i had. I found out that was due to my cheato overgrowing in the refugium that i had neglected and it covered all the light and killed some of my red Macroalgae that was stuff to the rock underneath. If it is bacterially bloom you don’t need to worry just find out what is dead in system and change your filter floss or socks wait a fee hours then everything will be back to normal. There is no fish or coral death, right? Have a good day and keep reefing !
Thanks for the info! No fish and coral seem to be great. All this info Is so great. It’s helping me learn and helping me hopefully get this cloudiness out of here

BeejReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've been so patient and so disciplined that it might well be that you're running into some of the typical two month issues just now. You've just added your first corals. I'd doublecheck on all of them just to be sure no one is bleaching or dying in a spot that's not visible from the front of the tank. Assuming that's not it, you may have just introduced a new bacteria to the tank on one of your frag plugs and it's having its moment in the sun. I bet it resolves itself. Congrats on a fine tank.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 rule in this hobby: if the fish and corals are happy, slow down. There's no emergency. This looks like a typical bacterial bloom, the tank is still young. I would focus on basics (water changes, feed sensibly). With those water changes, you almost certainly don't need to worry about varsity-level issues like dosing until you get a ton of demanding corals in your tank. Make sure you have good flow in the DT, because the bacterial bloom can impact oxygen.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've been so patient and so disciplined that it might well be that you're running into some of the typical two month issues just now. You've just added your first corals. I'd doublecheck on all of them just to be sure no one is bleaching or dying in a spot that's not visible from the front of the tank. Assuming that's not it, you may have just introduced a new bacteria to the tank on one of your frag plugs and it's having its moment in the sun. I bet it resolves itself. Congrats on a fine tank.
Thanks so much!! I’ll do a closer inspection on them tonight. Your message actually calmed my anxiety quite a lot!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back