New to this. And am stuck and frustrated.

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve done everything right, I started the tank with lots of good live rock, bought an expensive light and pump, etc. started with 2 clownfish. Waited 6 months and slowly added new fish. An, anemone and last week some coral. I do 20% water changes weekly, use the best carbon, bio balls I can find. Skimmer working great. I’m very careful to not over feed. Attaching my testing from this morning just trying to get all the info out there Incase someone can help me.
My fish and coral all appear very happy and healthy but for the last week or more I’ve had a distinct “fogginess” to my water. I use a flipper and clean my glass daily, so it’s not the glass. I can not figure why my water isn’t clear. Picture of current situation attached.
Help me R2R you’re my only hope!

6E65B490-9872-4934-B4F1-42E610E985D4.png

A9E0C5B8-227D-4C47-AAA1-B2FB7256C224.png

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R fellow cheesehead!
tenor.gif

How was the tank cycled?
#WelcometoR2R
Thanks!

I’m not sure what you mean, I started it with saltwater from LFS added the live rock and the clowns and waited for testing to be consistent then added livestock. Sorry for my ignorance here

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have your parameters been consistent? Do you use a filter sock? Do you run carbon? Do you have a lot of current that would stir up the sand bed? Is you sand really fine or course? Just trying to find out some background

they have been very consistent. I don’t think I have a filter sock. I have 4 compartments in the back. One with a sponge next has skimmer 3rd has 4 compartments 2 have bio balls, 3rd has carbon, 4th has a filter pad. Final compartment has heater

yes I run carbon, and I wouldn’t say I have a lot of current. Movement at the top but no, it’s not heavy. Sand is more course than fine.
Thank you for trying to help me!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I’m not sure what you mean, I started it with saltwater from LFS added the live rock and the clowns and waited for testing to be consistent then added livestock. Sorry for my ignorance here
So you're currently testing 0 ammonia and nitrite?

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, you've had this tank for over 6 months and this is the first time you've asked for help? That's darn good! You must be doing something right :)
Haha why thank you. I’ve asked other sources for lots of help! Lol. First time on here

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp is low as well as Alk and Ca. Fogginess is usually a algae or bacterial bloom of some kind if it's not detritus. I'd get those params up a little and start Vibrant to clear up the water.
I was told 75, should I increase temp?? I also was considering calcium as it’s always been a bit low, but I’ve been warned off that.
What is vibrant?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told 75, should I increase temp?? I also was considering calcium as it’s always been a bit low, but I’ve been warned off that.
What is vibrant?
75 isnt bad, but 78 is ideal imo

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is vibrant?

Vibrant is a bacterial treatment. The good kind. Or Microbacter 7 is another brand. Personally I think a reef tank should be 76 degrees minimum and most things like it even a little warmer.

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant is a bacterial treatment. The good kind. Or Microbacter 7 is another brand. Personally I think a reef tank should be 76 degrees minimum and most things like it even a little warmer.
I read online that sometimes bacterial treatments can increase nitrate. Is that true?

Clownfish2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’ve done everything right, I started the tank with lots of good live rock, bought an expensive light and pump, etc. started with 2 clownfish. Waited 6 months and slowly added new fish. An, anemone and last week some coral. I do 20% water changes weekly, use the best carbon, bio balls I can find. Skimmer working great. I’m very careful to not over feed. Attaching my testing from this morning just trying to get all the info out there Incase someone can help me.
My fish and coral all appear very happy and healthy but for the last week or more I’ve had a distinct “fogginess” to my water. I use a flipper and clean my glass daily, so it’s not the glass. I can not figure why my water isn’t clear. Picture of current situation attached.
Help me R2R you’re my only hope!

6E65B490-9872-4934-B4F1-42E610E985D4.png

A9E0C5B8-227D-4C47-AAA1-B2FB7256C224.png
Your water doesn’t look that cloudy. When I have cloudy water, I add carbon to my hang on the back filter, rinse the carbon under tap water to wash the dust off, use approximately 1/4 cup per 20 gallons. I don’t pack the carbon bag full so that tank water can flow well through it. Water clears in 2 to 3 days.

it’s also possible your coral or anemone ejected substances which could cloud the water.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read online that sometimes bacterial treatments can increase nitrate. Is that true?

Most recommend you start with 1/4 of the dose and increase from there.
This is an overused saying in the hobby but really is true. Nothing good happens fast.
Besides, you have some room for Nitrates to rise so no worries.

Edit: There is definitely such a thing as too clean! Feed your fish, let them poop. Best thing for your corals. People who keep their tanks on ultra low nutrients are either doing a LOT of manual work or they have paid to have everything automated. A natural working ecosystem needs stuff in it. Bacteria, algae, fish poop...

OP
OP
WisconsinReefing

WisconsinReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water doesn’t look that cloudy. When I have cloudy water, I add carbon to my hang on the back filter, rinse the carbon under tap water to wash the dust off, use approximately 1/4 cup per 20 gallons. I don’t pack the carbon bag full so that tank water can flow well through it. Water clears in 2 to 3 days.

it’s also possible your coral or anemone ejected substances which could cloud the water.
I actually thought that as I posted the pic. That it doesn’t look super cloudy. But it looks worse live.

Back