New To This Hobby! Statement of Setup and Various Noob questions.

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am brand new here, and I am just getting into saltwater tanks and would like to express my end goals with my setup, as well as seek some various answers as I journey along. I will condense my questions into a list at the end, please bear with me.

Goal:​

I want an aesthetically pleasing tank that shows no visible signs of cords or equipment in the actual display area, modern plain art deco I suppose.

Heating I am hoping to find a solution so it can be contained in the baffle wall area or as a mat under the actual tank.

I am going to run a protein skimmer, I believe the reef glass nano skimmer will fit in the back area as well.

Just going to go for the stereotypically but simple, one pair of clownfish as a base for me to build on. As well as some sort of central rock structure; I was thinking either an arch or sunken island pedestal style.

Setup:​

Black Flipper 20 Gal Stand, 15.7 x 25 x 28.03

Waterbox Penninsula Mini 25 gal, 23.6"x15.7"x15.7"

Heater?

Reef Glass Nano Protein Skimmer

Caribsea Arag Alive Substrate

Caribsea Moani Live Rocks

AI Prime 16HD Lighting

IO Reef Crystal Salt

Water?

Supplements?

Anti-Stuff?

Conclusion and Questions:

Water and Salt:

I have a 25 Gallon tank, what method of water mixing should I be looking at; I am aware that clownfish and let alone other species live for many years so I am looking for fiscal guidance perhaps? Would it be best for me to test, address and mix my tap water into saltwater, purchase distilled gallons, or purchase a RO DI system?

RO DI Systems:

IF I was to purchase...Two are standing out to me the Express Water Countertop System and the RO Buddie Plus DI, I would Like one that can be switched as a faucet so the Express Water Countertop sticks out to me but do not know if it is appropriate. If you know of a better model please recommend!

Heating:

Looking for heating recommendations, would like to be able to mount it within the baffle wall back area of the waterbox tank if possible? Or have under Tank? Please recommend hidden option.

Supplements for Clean new saltwater:

Please advise if anything beyond proper RO DI and salt is needed?

Anti-Stuff:

Please advise for any anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti algae, anti anti, etc..

I really am looking for some constructive feedback, and please correct, recommend or show techniques and perhaps supplies I am totally forgetting!! I look forward to interacting with you all on here. Enjoy as I document my journey, Thank You!

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas greeting.gif

Welcome to R2R. Definitely go with an RODI unit.

For your questions, I would start with the search functions on our forums. There is a whole forum on equipment. ;Bookworm

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things to think about: auto top off. Keeps the salinity stable and marine critters LOVE stability. RODI. It produces pure water for your auto top off. It produces water to mix salt water. Having one means no runs to get water and carry it home. And having an RODI means you have control over the quality of your water. It will pay for itself. Also, get a small cheap aquarium for a quarantine tank.

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas greeting.gif

Welcome to R2R. Definitely go with an RODI unit.

For your questions, I would start with the search functions on our forums. There is a whole forum on equipment. ;Bookworm
Okay, I will check it out! Sorry to clog up the main feed I suppose

OP
OP
T

troutman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things to think about: auto top off. Keeps the salinity stable and marine critters LOVE stability. RODI. It produces pure water for your auto top off. It produces water to mix salt water. Having one means no runs to get water and carry it home. And having an RODI means you have control over the quality of your water. It will pay for itself. Also, get a small cheap aquarium for a quarantine tank.
Ahh, this is a good point. What lengths of time should I be measuring the salinity daily, weekly?
I will invest in one of these in the future, the initial setup hit pretty good.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I will check it out! Sorry to clog up the main feed I suppose
My bad! My post was poorly worded. You did not "clog" up anything. I am glad you started the thread.

I would recommend you get a TDS meter along with your RODI unit. You can save a lot of headache (and heartache) if you only use "0" TDS water.

I do not have experience with heating tanks with a heating pad. You should be able to get a typical heater that will fit in the baffle wall out of site.

Most of all be patient with your tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back