New to this site!

Ok, just started my new tank. Should I add fish first or coral??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,
Ive just started my first saltwater baby and I'm excited to see what she turns into. Ive had freshwater tanks in the past but it's been a while and saltwater is sooo different! I'm almost finished my cycling and adding fish soon. Any advice for a reef tank virgin? Lol I'll any and all help I can get. Thanks!!
Screenshot_20200801-200525_Photos.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to check out this R2R article to help you get started:

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nice looking tank so far! My best advice is to not put anything you wouldn't want long term in your tank. Don't buy test run ugly paly's just to see if they will live. Don't buy a test run damsel to see if he lives. Things are hard to remove and can become invasive. So take your time and plan everything you want in your tank.

I didn't do this and ended up throwing away half my rocks because they were covered in palys and xenia. I also had a stubborn damsel that I could never catch.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

Absolutely go slow. I would add a couple fish once your cycled completely. You still have to go through the "ugly" stage.

Best advice I can give with a completely sterile tank is to add a couple pieces of live rock to your dry rock for some biodiversity. Rock from the ocean shipped to you or some from a LFS. Helps immensely with microfauna and bacterial strains you need. Better than bottled bacteria that you can add to your tank.

The link @Peace River posted is a great read!

Great advice by everyone!

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With what looks like all dry rock and no live rock, I’d wait a good 2-4 months before adding corals. I’d add your fish and let them get established and let the rock mature then try some easy corals.

Welcome, you’ll enjoy this side much more than freshwater.

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nice looking tank so far! My best advice is to not put anything you wouldn't want long term in your tank. Don't buy test run ugly paly's just to see if they will live. Don't buy a test run damsel to see if he lives. Things are hard to remove and can become invasive. So take your time and plan everything you want in your tank.

I didn't do this and ended up throwing away half my rocks because they were covered in palys and xenia. I also had a stubborn damsel that I could never catch.
Thanks! Yea I at first heard good things about damsels being great first fish additions but the more I read the more I realized that they are not the best fish, are territorial and can be real di*ks lol. I have a pretty good idea of what I want: pair of clowns (of course lol), Royal gamma, bengai, a benny, a Gobi and some cleaners. My 2 stars that I want to add I heard need a few more months of waiting for a more established tank: a green Mandarin and a copperband butterfly. But we'll see how it goes! Any other suggestions? I'm open and flexible to some changes =)

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to check out this R2R article to help you get started:

Ok thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tank looks really nice

welcome16.gif

OP
OP
FastandCurious

FastandCurious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polish_20200506_011127297.jpg

Absolutely go slow. I would add a couple fish once your cycled completely. You still have to go through the "ugly" stage.

Best advice I can give with a completely sterile tank is to add a couple pieces of live rock to your dry rock for some biodiversity. Rock from the ocean shipped to you or some from a LFS. Helps immensely with microfauna and bacterial strains you need. Better than bottled bacteria that you can add to your tank.

The link @Peace River posted is a great read!

Great advice by everyone!
Thanks! I did live rock and live sand and luckily I have a pretty great salt water Aquatics store relatively close by that's helped a lot with my millions of questions lol and from whom I bought my tank that did the install. But there's so much I'm still learning. But since we've all been stuck home for the most part now I thought this might be a good time to start this bc I've been trying to for almost 2 yrs now. 'Thank god for the internet' --has been my motto for the past 2 weeks lol

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the fun and challenge! On the damsels, I have had success so far with a very small yellow tail that I put in last in my 29 gallon. I have two clowns and a royal gramma also. He is so beautiful! Let your other fish get well established first if you want one. But you may end up taking him back for an exchange if he does decide to be the boss of the whole tank.

1596336572171.png

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%

Back