"New To You" Reefing methods and equipment that you are on the the fence about trying?

Are you up to trying out new Reefing Methods and Equipment on your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 361 64.9%
  • NO

Votes: 86 15.5%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 105 18.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to install some t5 accent lighting along the led lineup. Leds just aint cuttin it anymore... and t5's are so nostalgic :D
I’m an old school fan! I bought some fancy led light and it looked nice, aesthetically. But, I couldn’t keep anemones alive and my corals begged for mercy! I went and bought a cheap grow light threw out the bulbs, replaced with Geismann (something like that/German) T5 bulbs, and I’m back easy peasy! LED’s don’t cut it! Not for corals... or, I’m doing something totally wrong. Cheap T5 is the way to go... spend the big bucks for ATI ... or the German bulbs. If interested, I use 1 actinic and the rest .. blue plus bulbs (T5s.) Good luck!

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really varies depending what the situation is. So like, an established reef tank that is doing well and is stable? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

An established reef tank that is having problems? Maybe. It would need to be something that wouldn’t disrupt the reef more than it already was being disrupted by problems, so probably a small change. Like changing from kalkwasser to two-part, maybe.

When planning a new reef? I’m perfectly happy to try something radically different!

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always up for something new, but most of the time... it’s a flop! Like, I had a decent wave maker, then gyre (Jabao) ... then/now ... a dual Icecap 4K with the WiFi controller (I needed it, I’m planning a vacation, next month!lol :) ). I might have over did it! My tang is hiding under a frag rack and my mushrooms are hanging on for dear life! I turned it down, but I think 1 pump is going to get pulled. But, then I will have an extra pump! Maybe, another tank? And, the cycle continues!

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm maybe trying too much on my current build.... As long as you update your build with what doesn't work, at least someone can learn from it! From that perspective, why not push the boundaries a bit? Lay your brick down!

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always up for something new, but most of the time... it’s a flop! Like, I had a decent wave maker, then gyre (Jabao) ... then/now ... a dual Icecap 4K with the WiFi controller (I needed it, I’m planning a vacation, next month!lol :) ). I might have over did it! My tang is hiding under a frag rack and my mushrooms are hanging on for dear life! I turned it down, but I think 1 pump is going to get pulled. But, then I will have an extra pump! Maybe, another tank? And, the cycle continues!
Just bought two of these for our 180. How big is your tank?

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for years I was really bad at EXPERIMENTAL Additives and Coral Foods. (Tried many)
Always inconsitant, or over feeding leading to all kind problems.
I swore a year ago, I would try and go natural, and no additives.
Stopping additives didn't hurt, but corals were ho-hum coloration and growth.

I particular I had problems with Euphylea's. Weak or fading out.
SPS Frags I couldn't keep alive for more than 2-3 months.

Recently I have fought a never ending Cyano outbreak, and decided to tackle it the SLOW way. No ChemiClean.
I did try ChemiClean a few times but cyano would just come back (Root Cause not eliminated)

Instead I tried dosing Competitive Bacteria (Cyano Clean). I did in the past but never bought enought for full treatment.

I still have lingering cyano after 2 months of dosing Cyano Clean but it's slowly receeding. Tank is looking great as Coraline Color is replacing the Ugly Red Look.

I looked into other Zeovit products after watching the latest BRS TV video.

Started the following strict hand drop additives AND LIKE NEVER BEFORE the Corals took off Color and Growth.

Doing the following additives. (Proper consistant dosing).

- Zeovit "Cyano Clean" (Bacteria) in conjuction with Zeovit "Coral Snow"
- Zeovit "A-Balance" (Cyano clearing agent)
- Zeovit "Coral Booster" (Coral Health and Immunity)
- Zeovit "Kalliumioid-Flour" (Potassium Iodide Floride Suppliment)
- Brightwell "CoralAmino" (Amino Acids)

Another swtich I did is I went from Monthly Manual Water Changes to Daily automatically.

• Cyano fading more and more each day, while SPS corals looking better each day in Tank A.
  • LPS corals looking better in Tank B. I see thicker flesh around all my Torches, and Euphylia (First time ever)

It could be a placeobo effect, but I've never see such coloration and growth in years of trying SPS.

Last edited:

Grallster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s funny—in some ways I’ve upgraded the tank with tech (just got a Trident) and in someways I’ve went back to more low tech. I ditched my reactor and went back to just hanging a bag with carbon in the sump. A reactor is just another thing to clog and need cleaned.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought two of these for our 180. How big is your tank?
I’ve got several, that sounds terrible... 1 -100g and 1-75 gallon (I needed more room for corals.) The others don’t count... I have 1 up and running (for problems/hospital tank/unforeseen disaster) for sick fish or to separate fighting matches, tank crash/power failure. Currently, (happy report) empty. 1 is 20g QT (1 black & white chromis) in copper treatment. (2 - 2.5 for coral dips and formalin dips/both in storage)
I think I might be addicted, to coral! Lol :)

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got several, that sounds terrible... 1 -100g and 1-75 gallon (I needed more room for corals.) The others don’t count... I have 1 up and running (for problems/hospital tank/unforeseen disaster) for sick fish or to separate fighting matches, tank crash/power failure. Currently, (happy report) empty. 1 is 20g QT (1 black & white chromis) in copper treatment. (2 - 2.5 for coral dips and formalin dips/both in storage)
I think I might be addicted, to coral! Lol :)
So I'm guessing you have the two Icecap 4K in the 100G. I was thinking I needed them with a 6 x2x2 tank. Guess we will find out. We have a 55 we are setting up for, as you describe, QT or emergencies.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well for years I was really bad at EXPERIMENTAL Additives and Coral Foods. (Tried many)
Always inconsitant, or over feeding leading to all kind problems.
I swore a year ago, I would trying and go natural, and no additives.
Stopping additives didn't hurt, but corals were ho-hum coloration and growth.

Recently I have fought a never ending Cyano outbreak, and decided to tackle it the SLOW way. No ChemiClean.
I did try ChemiClean a few times but cyano would just come back (Root Cause not eliminated)
Instead I dosed Competitive Bacteria (Cyano Clean).

I still have lingering cyano after 2 months of dosing Cyano Clean but it's slowly receeding. Tank is looking great as Coraline Color is replacing the Ugly Red Look.

I looked into other Zeovit products after watching the latest BRS TV video.

Started the following strict hand drop additives AND LIKE NEVER BEFORE the Corals took off Color and Growth.

• Cyano fading more and more each day, while SPS corals looking better each day in Tank A.
  • LPS corals looking better in Tank B. I see thicker flesh around all my Torches, and Euphylia.

Doing the following additives.

- Zeovit "Cyano Clean" (Bacteria) in conjuction with Zeovit "Coral Snow"
- Zeovit "A-Balance" (Cyano clearing agent)
- Zeovit "Coral Booster" (Coral Health and Immunity)
- Zeovit "Kalliumioid-Flour" (Potassium Iodide Floride Suppliment)
- Brightwell "CoralAmino" (Amino Acids)

Another swtich I did is went from Monthly Mannual Water Changes to Daily automatically.

It could be a placeobo effect, but I've never see such coloration and growth in years of trying SPS.
Interesting... out of curiosity..
have you heard of, or tried: (not related to each other)...
1) dosing peroxide?
2) vodka dosing?
I really thought the vodka dosing was a joke... but, apparently it’s a real thing. They have YouTube videos on it... anyway...
I’m terrified to try either ... I would miscalculate and kill everything in the tank.
Curious but, can’t take the chance!

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guessing you have the two Icecap 4K in the 100G. I was thinking I needed them with a 6 x2x2 tank. Guess we will find out. We have a 55 we are setting up for, as you describe, QT or emergencies.
Yes, 100g and 2- (is overkill)... even, turned down. I was tired of fighting algae! But, it has gotten better ... probably, from cutting back on light, and food.
I highly recommend QT’s. You don’t realize the importance, till something goes wrong (like velvet!) And, you lose your whole collection of fish. And, the fallow period affected the coral. It saves money and time, in the long run. I’m sure you can tell... it was bad enough, it made me extremely cautious (I wasn’t going through that, again!) Lesson learned, for sure.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sochting oxydator

I doubt I'll actually do it, as its another piece of equipment to maintain, but very curious.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "No". I've tried a lot of processes, products, and gadgets over the years. I've killed a lot of things and spent a lot of money trying to learn how to build a successful reef tank. My new 90 is a product of the lessons learned from those experiences. While it's too early to know for sure if I've done it right this time, I'd be hard pressed to make any changes.
So I lied... just bought 2 Maxspec Gyre pumps to replace my old MP40's. I'll never learn!

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, that Triton tank in the OP. So beautiful.

I just replaced by Gyres with MP40s, glad I did! I change things up from time to time, but mostly it's equipment, not strategy. I try to stick to one reefing strategy for consistency..

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 2 would work well in the 6x2x2. Good call on the 55 gallon. My 20 gallon is too small. I wish someone had suggested to me, a minimum of 29g. But, for quarantining big fish/ or, the ones that need open swim space.... Go big.
I think after this 1 goes in DT, I’m going to stop adding fish and focus on my corals. And, retire the QT! I will (definitely) pick a larger tank, next time.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow! Sounds like me! I just can’t leave well enough, ALONE! Lol
Probably overkill, I bought the 350's (& a controller) for my 90. My MP40's were really old and noisy. I bought them used over four years ago, and they were not very new even then. I'm hoping the Gyre's will move water for efficiently and be w-a-a-a-a-y quieter.

No corals in the tank yet, so it's a good time to change the flow. I'm following one of my lessons learned... no corals until the fish are stocked, the tank is stable, and the ugly stage is mostly over. I'm past the diatom, sheet algae, Cyano phases. Now in the hair algae stage.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm willing to try any methodology that simplifies my reefkeeping efforts, or that makes it easier and safer for my specimens to survive. That said, I'm really not big on unproven additives, especially if I don't happen to trust the additive manufacturer. There are just too many additives out there that make miraculous claims.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back