"New To You" Reefing methods and equipment that you are on the the fence about trying?

Are you up to trying out new Reefing Methods and Equipment on your reef tank?

• YES

Votes: 361 64.9%
  • NO

Votes: 86 15.5%
  • MAYBE

Votes: 105 18.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 0.7%

• Total voters

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no.
I have yet to set up and run a calcium reactor or ozone. I am skeptical about my ability and the fact both could crash or kill my tank and the inhabitants.
D

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes.
My 120 was setup 21 month ago as a no scheduled water change system.
So far only 3-10 gallon changes in that time frame.
I add ez-trace to keep mag and K stable along with a few other elements in the ez- trace solution.
My carx runs manmade media so it only keeps alk and cal stable.
I dose a small amount of ez-carbon to feed the corals and bacteria and thats it so far.
Heavy feeding for the 14 fish and heavy skimming works for me.
Very stable system with very little maintenance.
20210304_163857.jpg

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting... out of curiosity..
have you heard of, or tried: (not related to each other)...
1) dosing peroxide?
2) vodka dosing?
I really thought the vodka dosing was a joke... but, apparently it’s a real thing. They have YouTube videos on it... anyway...
I’m terrified to try either ... I would miscalculate and kill everything in the tank.
Curious but, can’t take the chance!
I did try Vinegar Dosing. When I had to run my Tank Fallow after a disease kill my fish.
I remove corals. Wrapped Tank is Black Gabage bags for darkness and dosed vinegar for 2.5 months.
That really cleaned up the tank. Cyano, Algae, etc. So when I started it back up with Fish, it was like never before perfect.

Vodka/Vinegar is a kind of like using NOPOX.
I don't like to get into either (Vinegar/Vodka) since you get hooked on it, and have to dose forever.
Of course that may happen using the Zeovit products.

Peroxide I never considered except for ICH treatments.

For me the best thing I ever did for my Tank is to build in a ATS (Algae Turf Scubber).
That's for nutrient Export. I'm almost on the fence to remove my skimmer.
I actually forgot to mention, now I turn off my Skimmer for 4 hours after Dark. To give the Corals a chance to consume the food and when they are feeding (dark time).

From reading many succesful tank stories, the key to a clean but well nurished tank is HIGH-NUTRIENT-IMPORT/HIGH NUTIRENT-EXPORT.
If you get EXPORT matched to IMPORT thing can really click.
Use whatever mean you have to both.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try Vinegar Dosing. Vodka/Vinegar is a kind of like using NOPOX.

I don't like to get into either since you get hooked on it, and have to dose forever.

For me the best thing I ever did for my Tank is to build in a ATS (Algae Turf Scubber).
I actually forgot to mention, now I turn off my Skimmer for 4 hours after Dark. To give the Corals a chance to consume the food and when they are feeding (dark time).

From reading many succesful tank stories, the key to a clean but well nurished tank is HIGH-NUTRIENT-IMPORT/HIGH NUTIRENT-EXPORT.
Well said about high in high out export.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed a biopellet reactor in January And it’s far superior to “basic” carbon dosing.
Can you back that up with Evidence.
I'm an engineer so always want some kind of data, or even visual proof OVER TIME to suport a change or different technology, or tank Husbandry.

Better than Carbon Dosing, may be a good thing, if Carbon Dosing is a good thing.
To me an ATS is the best thing I've done since it's free to run. Little bit of work. Self regulating to control N&P and keep it stable.

What has become better after you installed your BioPellet Reactor? Stable N&P? Corals took off? Cost effective over what?
I've never run one. Always wanted to. Seen other folks using one.
I alway fear some of the risks if not properly maintained (religiously).
I'm sometimes fall into traps on proper maintenance (Vacations, Family issues, etc), so in my case running a BioPellet reactor IS VERY RISKY.

Another example of a failure for me (cost wise) was trying a C02 scrubber. Wonderful way to improve PH.
But the media was burning out like crazy, and not cheap for little gain.
I gave up before I had a chance to see the benefits over long term.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a ton of info out there but all the evidence I need, is that my system is looking better, it's more stable and less hassle than traditional carbon dosing and my parameters are improving. I don't see any risk whatsoever.

rknapp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Voted maybe. Have switched lighting methods and have tried various salt mixes / additives from time to time. But with stability being a key to success, trying every shiny new thing or method that comes along seems counterproductive. But convince me of a very good reason and I might try something new.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try Vinegar Dosing. When I had to run my Tank Fallow after a disease kill my fish.
I remove corals. Wrapped Tank is Black Gabage bags for darkness and dosed vinegar for 2.5 months.
That really cleaned up the tank. Cyano, Algae, etc. So when I started it back up with Fish, it was like never before perfect.

Vodka/Vinegar is a kind of like using NOPOX.
I don't like to get into either (Vinegar/Vodka) since you get hooked on it, and have to dose forever.

I’m going to try turning off the skimmer. I think that’s a great idea. Makes sense. And, it doesn’t hurt anything to try it.
As for the additive dosing... I think it’s an interesting concept. But, not for me. I would find a way to screw it up. I need straight forward, real directions, store-bought kind. :)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try turning off the skimmer. I think that’s a great idea. Makes sense. And, it doesn’t hurt anything to try it.
As for the additive dosing... I think it’s an interesting concept. But, not for me. I would find a way to screw it up. I need straight forward, real directions, store-bought kind. :)
Sure try it. Can't hurt. The Skimmer does catch up when it comes back on anyway.

I'm actually looking at the positive results, and may extend my SKimmer off to 6 hours. Maybe even 8 hours.
Just a bit more each day, since as learned so many times (Best to do thing SLOWLY with any Changes to your Reef Tank)

Not sure how your skimmer is located.

What I learned when I turn off my skimmer, it drains extra water into my sump.
That extra water raises my sump level, which triggers my ATO (Tunze Osmolator) by the 2nd Overfill sensor, and it alarms. No big deal but the Alarm Sound is disturbing since everyone is sleeping.

So I setup my Skimmer on my APex to turn off for the Night Time 4 hours. (AND) Also turn OFF my ATO on a 2nd Apex EB8 outlet. This avoids my ATO alarming.
Both Skimmer and ATO come back on at the same time. Everything back to normal.

You can achieve same by having your skimmer and you ATO on a timer, with a Dual Power splitter (or mini power bar).

Nicklepickle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
As someone who has just returned to this hobby I would like to give my opinion. I have had a pre millenium analogue tank and now have just set up a modest 100 ltr tank with access to today’s technology.
I am in awe of the technology available and understand that, money no object, you can build yourself anything you want and keep anything you want. My local frag shop has the most techy controls and dosers etc. , in combination with chaeto and has the most amazing water quality, control and stock levels. For most this is not possible.
My build used what I had learnt 20 years ago about water quality, biodiversity, maximising bacterial filtration and the importance of high quality lighting.
My approach and methods haven’t really changed. I think a more natural system than is often favoured today with lots of copepods, fauna and ‘natural’ filtration is the way to go, assisted by today’s technology.

New things I have used and loved:

up to date compact skimmer tunze 9004
Use of rowaphos with hanna phosp tester
Hanna alkalinity meter
Digital salinity meter
Maxspect nanosphere ceramic bio media
‘Live sand’
Reef Roids and phytoplankton products
ATO
LEDS so much better than MH except par at depth
Availability and sustainability of ‘Frag’ market

Conclusions:

If I had a huge tank with lots of expensive stock I would rely on more technology and there wouldn’t be much I wouldn’t consider using. I would still want to use this control in combination with a very rugged and diverse natural system with some temperature swings etc. I sometimes think today’s reefers want a spotless tank with themselves as controller of every parameter.
The advances in tech have made it possible to run a very good tank with only a few v good bits of equipment, a bit of testing and some cleaning.

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure try it. Can't hurt. The Skimmer does catch up when it comes back on anyway.

I'm actually looking at the positive results, and may extend my SKimmer off to 6 hours. Maybe even 8 hours.
Just a bit more each day, since as learned so many times (Best to do thing SLOWLY with any Changes to your Reef Tank)

Not sure how your skimmer is located.

What I learned when I turn off my skimmer, it drains extra water into my sump.
That extra water raises my sump level, which triggers my ATO (Tunze Osmolator) by the 2nd Overfill sensor, and it alarms. No big deal but the Alarm Sound is disturbing since everyone is sleeping.

So I setup my Skimmer on my APex to turn off for the Night Time 4 hours. (AND) Also turn OFF my ATO on a 2nd Apex EB8 outlet. This avoids my ATO alarming.
Both Skimmer and ATO come back on at the same time. Everything back to normal.

You can achieve same by having your skimmer and you ATO on a timer, with a Dual Power splitter (or mini power bar).
Sounds good! I think it should work about the same. I’m notorious for forgetting to empty my skimmer cup, this might help keep me on schedule. I’ve read about some of the Apex and Neptune devices. I have a lot of mismatched/different brand products. It would be nice to have everything controlled from 1 location/power source. I’m not sure I’m saying that right. Those systems are so expensive. I’m not sure if it’s practical, but I thought I might start with the power strip/backup battery and add things a little along. I need to update my automatic feeder. Anyway, I’m going to try this out. Anything that is on a schedule seems to turn out much better, in the long run. I think I’ve tried everything to make my corals grow faster. I haven’t mastered that 1! And think ... nothing good in this hobby happens fast. Ughhh!
Thank you, for the info! Happy reefing! ;)

nursebran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, that Triton tank in the OP. So beautiful.

I just replaced by Gyres with MP40s, glad I did! I change things up from time to time, but mostly it's equipment, not strategy. I try to stick to one reefing strategy for consistency..
I totally agree. I see those and wonder, will I live long enough to see my coral grow like that?! Lol... Amazing!

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have reached the stage "If it aint broke, dont fix it" . My tanks pretty much run themselves. I watch for things that need cleaned, refilled or replaced.
I will second that! My tank has been up and running without water changes for 8 years now. The only thing I have really changed was to adjust my dosing regimen.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am always looking for automation to make up for my lazy tendencies - and still haven't totally mastered acropora (after 12 years of effort).

1. Current new thing is dialyseas (dialysis) instead of water changes which is working well for me. I have much better control of my salinity and my ICP tests are closer to perfect than the previous sporadic water change when I felt like it routine. It is also very compact and saves valuable floor space compared to my previous water change system.

2. Toying with the idea of an algae scrubber. Nitrates are hanging at 20 (which is probably fine), but, It's a bit of a battle to keep the phos down.

BrianKav

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m an old school fan! I bought some fancy led light and it looked nice, aesthetically. But, I couldn’t keep anemones alive and my corals begged for mercy! I went and bought a cheap grow light threw out the bulbs, replaced with Geismann (something like that/German) T5 bulbs, and I’m back easy peasy! LED’s don’t cut it! Not for corals... or, I’m doing something totally wrong. Cheap T5 is the way to go... spend the big bucks for ATI ... or the German bulbs. If interested, I use 1 actinic and the rest .. blue plus bulbs (T5s.) Good luck!
Nuesrbran, I still have the first model maxspect Razor (swapped from halide and t5 combo) put in bubble tip last year sold 15 large nems to the LFS this year. Under halides I had issues with sps and could not keep them alive. I think we each have a knack at growing things in our tanks

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! I think it should work about the same. I’m notorious for forgetting to empty my skimmer cup, this might help keep me on schedule. I’ve read about some of the Apex and Neptune devices. I have a lot of mismatched/different brand products. It would be nice to have everything controlled from 1 location/power source. I’m not sure I’m saying that right. Those systems are so expensive. I’m not sure if it’s practical, but I thought I might start with the power strip/backup battery and add things a little along. I need to update my automatic feeder. Anyway, I’m going to try this out. Anything that is on a schedule seems to turn out much better, in the long run. I think I’ve tried everything to make my corals grow faster. I haven’t mastered that 1! And think ... nothing good in this hobby happens fast. Ughhh!
Thank you, for the info! Happy reefing! ;)
Grow? I'm still working on keeping SPS alive. Over 5+ years, and plenty of failures. Cross my fingers, knock on wood things finally look good.

Neptune Apex and all the other Fancy controllers are no longer needed for Power Outlet Control. Too expensive.
Technology has caught up on controlled Outlets, and a far better price.

I use these WIFI Sinlge Plug Outlets to automate many things around my house, including fish tank stuff.

So long as the Wifi Outlets work with the SMART LIFE App I recommended them. Many different shapes, and sizes.
I tested many apps, and many are GARBAGE.
SMART Apps is fast response, reliable, and outlets have features like schedule, countdown, even random.
Each outlet has different features depending on brand.
SMART Life Apps devices also work on Amazon Alexa, Apple, google voice response control.

I love the countdown feature. YOu can turn on a outlet and set it to turn off in 1 minute, or 20 minutes, etc
Many times I started a mini flood while filling my Salt Water Mixing Station. Turned on a filling pump, walked away, got a phone call and forgot. NOW....I set the Outlet/Puump for 10 minute countdown an the Garbage can never overfills.

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back