New Tomini Tang Injury?

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking for some assistance in IDing what this is on the side of my tang.

I just got him the other day from Dr. Reef QT Fish. He’s been in the tank since Friday morning. I don’t recall this whitemark on his side when I got him, I’m wondering if he might have injured his side on the rocks or maybe one of my urchins. The mark is unilateral and only in that one spot. I don’t see anything near his head or face.

He’s been a little skittish the past couple days but eating food that passes near his hiding spot and today during feeding he came out for a while and was hanging out in front of the glass which allowed me to see this mark and catch this video of him.

He’s my third attempt at a Tomini tang, so I really need him to be healthy…

Other fish show no signs of illness and his only other tank mates are two juvenile clowns and a flame Hawkfish that I just put through QT with cooper power and prazi. No aggressive behavior and the Tomini obviously went through QT from the vendor.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine would get scrapes from the rocks that showed like that on his dark sides.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine would get scrapes from the rocks that showed like that on his dark sides.
Any treatment required? Day 1 he was really tucked up under the rocks, so I definitely think this is feasible.

Ive been feeding extra heavy (as you can see by the water particulate) with Selcon to try to entice him out. I’m hoping he’s starting to get comfortable with me because this is the first I’ve seen him out.

My first one hid almost every time I was near the tank and then died after 11 days so I’m doing everything I know how to minimize stress.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that i'm aware of, disappeared in a couple of days. They are skittish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mine of three years very bashful and easily startled making them susceptible to injury
They as most saltwater do heal quickly on their own
Just keep an eye on fish for any indication of infection

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any treatment required? Day 1 he was really tucked up under the rocks, so I definitely think this is feasible.

Ive been feeding extra heavy (as you can see by the water particulate) with Selcon to try to entice him out. I’m hoping he’s starting to get comfortable with me because this is the first I’ve seen him out.

My first one hid almost every time I was near the tank and then died after 11 days so I’m doing everything I know how to minimize stress.
I don’t think it needs treatment, but it looks a bit thin; be sure to feed it multiple small feedings of meaty seafood items every day….not too much nori for now.
Jay

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t think it needs treatment, but it looks a bit thin; be sure to feed it multiple small feedings of meaty seafood items every day….not too much nori for now.
Jay
Agree...

Unfortunately I've just about got the hair algae in my tank under control that I've been battling since June and I'm sure that this is going to trigger another explosion of it but if I can fatten up this fish and keep him healthy it'll be completely worth it. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back