New Tomini tang with weird white "thing" on the side of his face.

Nazzar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

A few days ago I bought a Tomini tang that has been doing quite fine. (Eat quite well/seen him grazing from the algae and Nori that is in the tank and starts to swim around more and more now)

However He/she started to have a white "thing" on the side of its head that looks nothing like I can find on the forums. Hopefully the picture shows what I mean.

Now looking at this picture I've noticed that he also has some white spots around his face.

Does anyone know what this could be? And if so how I could treat it?

TominiSick.jpeg

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are you talking about this thing or the two symmetrical white spots on his “nose” ?

Attachments

• BA3B47F6-7266-4064-B231-B84B15001C87.jpeg
    BA3B47F6-7266-4064-B231-B84B15001C87.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 53

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

A few days ago I bought a Tomini tang that has been doing quite fine. (Eat quite well/seen him grazing from the algae and Nori that is in the tank and starts to swim around more and more now)

However He/she started to have a white "thing" on the side of its head that looks nothing like I can find on the forums. Hopefully the picture shows what I mean.

Now looking at this picture I've noticed that he also has some white spots around his face.

Does anyone know what this could be? And if so how I could treat it?

TominiSick.jpeg
Are you talking about the white cane shaped material on its left head above the eye? That could be a mucus plug that tangs get from time to time. A clearer picture might help.

This article discusses some aspects of mucus and fish:

Jay

OP
OP
N

Nazzar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the white cane shaped material on its left head above the eye? That could be a mucus plug that tangs get from time to time. A clearer picture might help.

This article discusses some aspects of mucus and fish:

Jay

I think you are right with the mucus plug, I had no Idea that tangs could get those! I've google about them and I found a couple of your other posts on the forum and they looked quite similar. (especially this post: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-tang-disease.783074/ )

I tried to take a picture with white lights but the white string/thing has now fallen off.

So for now I think my issue is solved. Hopefully it was indeed a mucus plug!

Thanks!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • None.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back