New tool in the help to fight Cyano - Microbacter CLEAN

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting fellow reefers, I wanted to share my experience with a product I recently purchased.

Reefer 250 started from dry rock and sand approx. 5 months ago. Seeded the tank with Fritz Turbo and have continued doing Microbacter 7 since startup. The cycle went well but shortly after the cycle I started getting some Cyano that quickly started taking over the tank. I added another Gyre and started daily siphoning / manual removal. I knew I was not making much headway as every evening I was removing about the same amount of Cyano. I began looking for some other additives to try and diversify my bacteria population since I did not want to go the Chemiclean route.

I found Microbacter Clean online and figured it was worth a try. I started out with a 10ML dose on day one and have been dosing 2ML daily for the past 14 days. Happy to report that my cyano has nearly faded completely away and now only have 2 small patches left that I predict will be gone by the end of this week.

Normally I would think this may have just been a coincidence and my tanks' natural cycle completing is what knocked out the Cyano but I do not think that is the case. I was cleaning the Cyano every day and was very tuned into the amount I was removing. As stated above I was removing the same amount or more every day so I knew my problem was not getting any better. Until I began doing Microbacter Clean. Not only did I notice a reduction in the amount of Cyano I was removing just two days after beginning to dose I also noticed the color of the Cyano beginning fade from deep purple to a lighter pink. Hopefully other find this info useful and have some success fighting back the Cyano!!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeting fellow reefers, I wanted to share my experience with a product I recently purchased.

Reefer 250 started from dry rock and sand approx. 5 months ago. Seeded the tank with Fritz Turbo and have continued doing Microbacter 7 since startup. The cycle went well but shortly after the cycle I started getting some Cyano that quickly started taking over the tank. I added another Gyre and started daily siphoning / manual removal. I knew I was not making much headway as every evening I was removing about the same amount of Cyano. I began looking for some other additives to try and diversify my bacteria population since I did not want to go the Chemiclean route.

I found Microbacter Clean online and figured it was worth a try. I started out with a 10ML dose on day one and have been dosing 2ML daily for the past 14 days. Happy to report that my cyano has nearly faded completely away and now only have 2 small patches left that I predict will be gone by the end of this week.

Normally I would think this may have just been a coincidence and my tanks' natural cycle completing is what knocked out the Cyano but I do not think that is the case. I was cleaning the Cyano every day and was very tuned into the amount I was removing. As stated above I was removing the same amount or more every day so I knew my problem was not getting any better. Until I began doing Microbacter Clean. Not only did I notice a reduction in the amount of Cyano I was removing just two days after beginning to dose I also noticed the color of the Cyano beginning fade from deep purple to a lighter pink. Hopefully other find this info useful and have some success fighting back the Cyano!!
Good to know. I will give it a try.

OP
OP
TheDuude

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I knew about it years ago! Cyano has always been my nemesis

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased and started dosing today! Hoping for the same result!
Cyano.......just CANT seem to tackle it....and don't want to use Chemiclean - yet.

I'll report back!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice! Good to know!

yasince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about vibrant? Does anyone have enough experience to compare?
Thanks in advance.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does it look today?
I ask because I have a bottle that I've been contemplating using.
Cyano seems like it going to be always present in my low flow high nutrient system no matter what I do...

Any ill effects regarding inverts, coraline algae, corals or anything else that you have noticed?

Todd1white

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know... I had been dosing MB7 from the start of my cycle. Dry sand, epoxy structure. Months 3&4 had serious cyano. Stopped mb7, still cyano. I read about Clean, so I got some and did a sizable dose. About a week later, cyano is almost gone and the hair algae is just about gone too. I only did the one dose because my service guy said to stop adding bacteria. Didn’t even think about it till I saw this post. Hmmm

LittleMaui

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried Vibrant. There's another extensive thread elsewhere. I found it did something to my tank that cause my corals to die. Probably reduced nutrients.

sg88

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching thread...I just cycled my new tank also dry rock, dry sand and Dr. Tim’s One and Only. I have not turned on the lights but tank is in a bright room (no direct sunlight but plenty of light). I am getting a slime of green Cyanobacteria at the sand-glass interface.
Any idea why some get purple others get green?
I bought a bottle of Microbacter7 to use but would Microbacter Clean be better?

AnnaCassandra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemiclean is just a band-aid, it doesn't fix the underlying issue and in a few weeks time cyano just comes back. It kills the cyano but also kills its competition. I also don't really believe that high nutrients cause cyano, mine started when nitrates and phosphates were essentially zero and large water changes just seem to fuel it rather than kill it off- likely incoming water is the source of the cyano especially in my case on well water and not chlorinated city water because RO filters can't remove all bacteria from the water. I imagine if I added a UV sterilizer to my RO system it might help.

In any case I really think out-competing the cyano is the key to removing it forever, I had it on a previous system and everything I tried only seemed to make it worse so I stopped doing large water changes and let my system stabilize and it slowly died out and went away. I tried doing that this time but it really hasn't worked, it dialed the cyano back to a not quite obscene level but it never really died out- again probably because of my source water being well water (even though I have RO/DI it doesn't filter out all cyanobacteria but I've read that it can reduce it). So I just ordered microbacter7 and clean and I'm hoping that it eventually solves my problem.

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant reef - Check
Dr Tims waste away - Check
Brightwell Microbacter 7 - Check
Brightwell Microbacter clean - Need lol

Dr Tims & MB7 are new for me, i've used Vibrant reef before on dino's and it did work. i currently have a bad case of cyno that Vibrant didn't seem to tackle.
I've read multiple threads stating all these have diffrent benificial bacteria so it might be worth using a mix just in case what you usually use might not do the trick.
I dose the recommended amount every other day but ony 1 brand at a time and it seems to be working.

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased and started dosing today! Hoping for the same result!
Cyano.......just CANT seem to tackle it....and don't want to use Chemiclean - yet.

I'll report back!
Hey bud, curious on what your results were.

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bud, curious on what your results were.
Yeah....I finally broke down and used Chemiclean. It did get rid of my Cyano, but I got dinos to replace. I'm battling those now. I kind of wish I had just gone the natural route, and fixed my nutrient issue, and let the tank balance out itself. You DONT want dinos. Much harder to get rid of.

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah....I finally broke down and used Chemiclean. It did get rid of my Cyano, but I got dinos to replace. I'm battling those now. I kind of wish I had just gone the natural route, and fixed my nutrient issue, and let the tank balance out itself. You DONT want dinos. Much harder to get rid of.
Thanks for sharing. Obviously the chemiclean worked for you, but did you see any noticeable change in dosing the microbacter clean? Also, curious what you nutrient levels were at and how much you dosed.

clhardy5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing. Obviously the chemiclean worked for you, but did you see any noticeable change in dosing the microbacter clean? Also, curious what you nutrient levels were at and how much you dosed.
When I had Cyano, my nitrate was high - and my phosphates were undetectable - ie 0 on the Hannah ULR. After I used Chemiclean, my nitrates bottomed out - at 0, and my phosphates were still at zero....so dinos took over.

The Microbacter clean didn't help much when I had Cyano....but now that I'm at end of my dino battle, I'm using it to help with extra algae that is taking over where the dinos were. It is helping quite a bit with that. Everyday my rocks are a little bit cleaner.

badams.one

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had Cyano, my nitrate was high - and my phosphates were undetectable - ie 0 on the Hannah ULR. After I used Chemiclean, my nitrates bottomed out - at 0, and my phosphates were still at zero....so dinos took over.

The Microbacter clean didn't help much when I had Cyano....but now that I'm at end of my dino battle, I'm using it to help with extra algae that is taking over where the dinos were. It is helping quite a bit with that. Everyday my rocks are a little bit cleaner.
Thanks for sharing bud.. glad to hear you're on the right track. I'm pretty much the opposite, high phosphates and low nitrates.. high meaning .10 to .15 sometimes .20, which has never been a problem in almost 3 years.. my corals seem to like it. My nitrates on the other hand, bottomed out and were undetectable from when I added my algae reactor several months back with my initial cyano battle. I didn't know or consider it would do a better job at stripping nitrates than phosphates.

I started dosing nitrates in an effort to perhaps help get my phosphates down so I could add some beneficial bacterias to battle the cyano.. I did that for a few weeks and saw no results and am looking for other ideas, so your feedback is much appreciated.

I know I didn't really give this enough time to perhaps see results with the cyano, but at this point, several months of looking at it, I just want it gone. I have chemiclean, microbacter clean and microbacter7 on hand and am trying to figure out what I should do. I know I just need to be a little more patient, but this brown/red sand junk really steals the thunder from everything in the tank.

Anyways, thanks again for the feedback. Cheers!

thegrimreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the exact same situation! Just posted a thread here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/atl-nuvo-40g.806550/page-2

I am using seed to help reestablish the bacteria population after using chemiclean..is this the correct bac to diversify the population? Will monitor for a few days..but cyano was coming back slightly after the 48hr 20% water change. Willing to give micro bacter 7 or clean a try..have also heard about biodigest

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back