NEW VID & CONTEST: Reef Octopus eSsence S-130

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Premiumaq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today we are taking a look at The Reef Octopus eSsence S-130 Protein Skimmer. We are also going to do an unboxing, setup and review of this protein skimmer. Comment and Subscribe for a chance to win!

Reef Octopus eSsence S-130: https://goo.gl/Kxia9W

Visit Premium Aquatics: https://premiumaquatics.com

Footprint: 8.3" x 6.9" | Body Diameter: 6" | Height: 20.5"
Powered by: Reef Octopus Aquatrance 1800s Pinwheel Pump

Follow Premium Aquatics
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/PremiumAquatics
Twitter - https://twitter.com/premiumaquatics
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/premiumaqua...

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how simple it is to set it up. What was even more appealing was how easy it is to take apart for maintenance. My current skimmer is a pain for maintenance. I'll be looking into this skimmer in the new year when we upgrade to a 180 g.

premiumaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love how simple it is to set it up. What was even more appealing was how easy it is to take apart for maintenance. My current skimmer is a pain for maintenance. I'll be looking into this skimmer in the new year when we upgrade to a 180 g.
I agree. That's one thing i've never liked about sump saving skimmers that put the pump inside the skimmer body, that solves the issue having the entire body lift off. I hope they come out with several size options soon.

RudyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks very easy to clean afterwards. That diffuser cup looks different. I would like to see it in action.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone used this skimmer yet? Looking into purchasing but not many reviews out there yet

premiumaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone used this skimmer yet? Looking into purchasing but not many reviews out there yet
I would love to hear some feedback as well. We expected this to be a super popular model, but it's been really slow moving. So we haven't had any feedback from customers yet on it.

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed mine and it is absolutely dead silent. Its still currently breaking in but hope it settles in soon. Its sitting in 8 inches of water. If anyone has any other advice please let me know.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed mine and it is absolutely dead silent. Its still currently breaking in but hope it settles in soon. Its sitting in 8 inches of water. If anyone has any other advice please let me know.

Keep us posted on how it works out!

Bdrake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reviewed this skimmer a few months ago:

Cons:
-Took forever to break in. 2-3 weeks to get it to stop overflowing after a 24 hour vinegar soak and run in a vinegar RO solution for 4 hours. It was about another week before it was pulling thick black sludge.
-It's top-heavy, but that is to be expected since it doesn't sit on a wide base.
-Twisting the collection cup off is more difficult than I'd like it to be.

Pros:
-Skimmate production is great. No pictures but this skimmer doesn't under-perform here in the least.
-Easy to clean.
-Very quiet when cabinet door is open, and inaudible when closed
-The adjustment knob makes calibration fool-proof
-Quality materials and construction
-Compact

I'm very happy with the purchase. It packs a real punch for its footprint, it's easy to use and calibrate, and the unique features Reef Octopus employed aren't just flashy gimmicks. My only real complaint at this point is removing the collection cup can be a hassle that may require an extra set of hands.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cons:
-Took forever to break in. 2-3 weeks to get it to stop overflowing after a 24 hour vinegar soak and run in a vinegar RO solution for 4 hours. It was about another week before it was pulling thick black sludge.
-It's top-heavy, but that is to be expected since it doesn't sit on a wide base.

Pros:
-Skimmate production is great. No pictures but this skimmer doesn't under-perform here in the least.
-Easy to clean.
-Compact

I'm very happy with the purchase. It packs a real punch for its footprint, it's easy to use and calibrate, and the unique features Reef Octopus employed aren't just flashy gimmicks. My only real complaint at this point is removing the collection cup can be a hassle that may require an extra set of hands.

Great review!

Would you choose this model again over some of their other designs or other skimmers on the market?

James Mikell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cons:

Pros:
-Easy to clean.
-Compact

What hight is your water at?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back