New Waterbox 50.3 AIO

JDWolverine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. I'm brand new to keeping fish. I have a 130g+40g sump partially set up that I hope to finish someday, it needs lights still and to refinish the cabinet and I need to make sure I'm physically able to take care of a tank that big. So we ordered the 50.3 AIO to start me off in the meantime. I've watched 52 weeks of reefing, but I still have a LOT of questions.

- How do I know how many fish I can put in it? I was using the aqadvisor calculator and I'm doubting its accuracy. I know I cant put them all in at once.

- How in the world do I choose a skimmer? I was thinking the tunze 9012 or the reef octopus classic 90 but I have NO idea what I'm doing.

- What test kit should I get? I hear API is garbage but it still seems to be the most popular?

- Is the syncra 2 a good return pump for my tank?

- How many powerheads do I need and how do I know where to set them?

- What do I need to clean my tank? Just something to scrape the glass? A siphon to vacuum the sand? Is that it?

- I'm making a saltwater mixing station and will have a barrel for fresh and one for salt. What size barrel should I get? Can I store the fresh water over a period of time? How far in advance can I mix the salt?

- What lights should I get for my 130g when I'm ready to set it up? Do I *have* to spend thousands on lights to keep coral? My 50.3 is coming with two AI Primes.

- Is it unethical to buy, for example, a juvenile yellow tang for the 50.3 and move it to the 130g when it matures? The fish store man told me that was fine or even trading it in would be fine, but I don't want to be a jerk.

- Are there meds or similar things I should keep on hand for emergencies?

- How big of a QT tank do I need? Do I just need tank, HOB filter, and a heater? Should I medicate fish in the QT as a matter of course or just monitor them? How long should I QT?

- Is it possible to someday alter the AIO to connect it to my 40g sump if I wanted to increase the water volume?

- I was looking at the Apex controller. Is that a ridiculous thing for me to buy at this point? Is there a cheaper way to get started? I know they said in the BRS video that you could get separate controllers for different things and upgrade over time, but I don't know enough yet to know what to get, that is overwhelming me.

- I'm disabled and I can't carry buckets. I want to pump water from my water mixing station down the hall to the tank and from the tank to the drain by the water mixing station. What kind of pumps should I buy to do that? What kind of hose? Is there anything I'm not thinking of?

- Does BRS only save your cart short term? I had like 50 things in my cart that all disappeared and now I have to start over. :( I'm crushed.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate any answers you can help with. I know I have a lot of questions but I felt a lot more prepared when this was all theoretical!

-Jill

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- How do I know how many fish I can put in it? I was using the aqadvisor calculator and I'm doubting its accuracy.
I know I cant put them all in at once. depends on how much filtration, dry rock, how old the tank is, and what you wanna do with the tank.

- How in the world do I choose a skimmer? I was thinking the tunze 9012 or the reef octopus classic 90 but I have NO idea what I'm doing.
I would totaly go bigger on the skimmer I think those two might be to small for a 50 if you are getting a sump. I like nyos 120 and it is recommended by water box for that tank

- What test kit should I get? I hear API is garbage but it still seems to be the most popular?
I use red sea kit. you only need phosphate test nitrate test calcium alkalinity and magnesium test kit after you cycle.

- Is the syncra 2 a good return pump for my tank?
not sure have not used one.

- How many powerheads do I need and how do I know where to set them?
set them opposite sides of tank 3/4 ways up make sure you have a controller to set them to random mode unless you get PW wit built in controller.

- What do I need to clean my tank? Just something to scrape the glass? A siphon to vacuum the sand? Is that it?
that is what I use. along with water changes a turkey baster to blow stuff off the rocks. you would be surprised.

- I'm making a saltwater mixing station and will have a barrel for fresh and one for salt. What size barrel should I get? Can I store the fresh water over a period of time? How far in advance can I mix the salt?
I get red sea salt they recommend a few hours but I have dun over night just fine. for a 50 gallon tank a ten gallon bucket would do just fine for a 20% water change maybe 20g if you want to go bigger.

- What lights should I get for my 130g when I'm ready to set it up? Do I *have* to spend thousands on lights to keep coral? My 50.3 is coming with two AI Primes.
depends on how long it is and what corals you want to keep you could get two red sea reef 90 that's about $700 there are cheaper and more expensive options I am sure.

- Is it unethical to buy, for example, a juvenile yellow tang for the 50.3 and move it to the 130g when it matures? The fish store man told me that was fine or even trading it in would be fine, but I don't want to be a jerk.
from what I understand yes that is fine but they grow fast.

- Are there meds or similar things I should keep on hand for emergencies?
I would get a quarintien tank and some copper or something besides copper to treat ick it will happen. get coral dip some seachem prime. all good things for emergency's. the list goes one. personaly a extra water heater would be a smart idea.

- How big of a QT tank do I need? Do I just need tank, HOB filter, and a heater? Should I medicate fish in the QT as a matter of course or just monitor them? How long should I QT? depends on what you QT for every treatment and situation is different.

- Is it possible to someday alter the AIO to connect it to my 40g sump if I wanted to increase the water volume? yes you would need a hang on back siphon for it to go to a sump.

- I was looking at the Apex controller. Is that a ridiculous thing for me to buy at this point? Is there a cheaper way to get started? I know they said in the BRS video that you could get separate controllers for different things and upgrade over time, but I don't know enough yet to know what to get, that is overwhelming me.
I do not use those things at all I manually test less things to have to clean and calibrate.

- I'm disabled and I can't carry buckets. I want to pump water from my water mixing station down the hall to the tank and from the tank to the drain by the water mixing station. What kind of pumps should I buy to do that? What kind of hose? Is there anything I'm not thinking of?
I would personaly just have the water changing system pump ro/di to a water holding tank near the tank that you can add salt to and have it mixed up close by or run a long pipe to the tank from water changing station I would think..

- Does BRS only save your cart short term? I had like 50 things in my cart that all disappeared and now I have to start over. :( I'm crushed.
I am not sure I have not run into that issue.

Thank you for your time, I appreciate any answers you can help with. I know I have a lot of questions but I felt a lot more prepared when this was all theoretical!

-Jill
let me know if I need to clear anything up or if you have more questions.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI the waterbox AIO and marine are the same tank except for the hole drilled in it. That’s actually a huge issue with the tanks because the AIO chamber holds so much water

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just FYI the waterbox AIO and marine are the same tank except for the hole drilled in it. That’s actually a huge issue with the tanks because the AIO chamber holds so much water
just wondering how do these arrive? cuz I want to get a WB 45 marine none AIO. i have a 40g breeder currently =p

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just wondering how do these arrive? cuz I want to get a WB 45 marine none AIO. i have a 40g breeder currently =p
I got mine from the lfs. But they aren’t packaged super well and I spent months replacing cabinet parts. Got the 45 cause it’s the right size but honestly lots of wasted space for a sump setup

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Red Sea 170 is slightly better tank setup but the waterbox sump works great with a fuge out of the box
got it. just that 4 instalment payments is appealing on there website.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got it. just that 4 instalment payments is appealing on there website.
Don’t do it. Seriously that’s not worth going into any debt for. It’s not that much better than your breeder

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad taking over the thread. Great Info on WB thanks all. Nah I can buy 2 in full just dont want to in full sorta deal.. Sounds like they are packaged well. Who the heck delivers somthing that big in good condition. Sure isn't USPS I'm guessing.

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel bad taking over the thread. Great Info on WB thanks all. Nah I can buy 2 in full just dont want to in full sorta deal.. Sounds like they are packaged well. Who the heck delivers somthing that big in good condition. Sure isn't USPS I'm guessing.
Usually they contract with a shipping company. I think the tanks are packaged well but the cabinets were packaged in cardboard that was rather thin and at least for me the hardware box was way too thin an some of the hardware damaged the cabinets. WB is pretty good about sending replacements but usually takes about 2 weeks per.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back