OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had flatworms in a tank once but they didn’t really cause any issues. I just told myself they were part of the clean up crew. I have seen them reach plague proportions but that was in a tank with pretty high nutrients. Not sure if that correlation is causation.
I am running a pretty clean system at the moment with pretty high flow and so far after sucking out what I saw in my refugium and dipping the two suspect corals which none come off of I am just going to do the same for now. I don't see anything in the DT yet.

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the FLATWORM Red Planaria situation: Last night I syphoned out another 6 or 7 from the refugium and spent 20 minutes checking the DT with a flash light and could not find anything in there at all... After reading a bunch about the Flat Worm Exit product it seems that the biggest risk is from the die off which based on I don' think I am at crisis mode yet I am going to treat the tank with it in the next couple days. Wish me luck!

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FLAT WORM UPDATE:

Today was to the day to deal with this flatworm issue. Step 1 was to suck out all the flat worms I could see as before I only had 6 or 7 on the refugium glass none in the DT. I left the Chaeto in and added the Flatwork exit. 85 drops for the 101 gallons (I know its called 105.4 but it doesn't really get there) any ways I spent most my time looking in the dt and did not see one flat work floating around. Dropped down to the refugium and there were at least 30-40 free floating out of the Chaeto so I quickly turned off the power head and removed the chaeto into a small bucket and began to suck them all out. Once that was done I scraped all the glass in the refugium took out and cleaned the power head and re-installed it back into the refugium. I had 5 gallons of salt water pre-mixed for my nano that I used to treat the Chaeto. It was time to trim anyways so I thru 80% of it away and began a series of 2 saltwater flatworm exist rinses and then 3 clean saltwater rinses. The first 2 times probably 40 or so fell out of the chaeto by the last rinse the Chaeto was clean so I put it back into the display. I have switched on my skimmer and put about a lb. of carbon in my second sock chamber blocking up the bottom to force water thru it. So far everything looks good nobody looks upset. Will let you know tomorrow how everything did but so far Flat Worm Exit seems to easy!

I have googled flatworms for 2 weeks btw and never read anything about them living in Chaeto like this and to be honest since I read they liked glass and crevices I never thought that is where they were hiding all this time!

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: went well no loses and I dont see any flatworms in the refugium. Quick question: should i change out carbon sooner than normal?

bucketnerd5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great! well depends...carbon is cheap.. depending on how many FW died and toxins were released etc (no way to quantify that really). short answer.. i would change out as risk of toxins/etc leaching back in the tank isn't worth the cost of the carbon..

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I spent last weekend moving the tank across the room into a new spot to make some room for a new addition. 2021 was a good year for us so we decided to go big and pulled the trigger on a Red Sea Reefer s-1000. I love Waterbox I have nothing negative to say about the experience so far with this WB Frag 105 but my LFS had a Reefer S1000 sitting in his store for a couple months and I could not resist. This tank will fit perfectly where my current tank sits filling up the entire wall. Stay tuned for a new thread.....

Sgchick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to you guys. I am super happy with my 105.4. Maybe my height makes a difference 5’4”. Can’t say that I’ll never get a larger tank, but I don’t see that happening at this point. Make sure you connect your new build here so I can follow along!! :)

OP
OP
Maxcmo

Maxcmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also thinking about a larger (deeper) tank..love the WB but the frag is just too short for a good view.. Congrats/Good luck
I saw a Frag 105.4 in a local LFS who worked with this issue by placing it on top of a 8" platform and building the scape down very low in the middle and then all the way up to the top on each side and it looked great but I am commited with my scape and have already
Good luck to you guys. I am super happy with my 105.4. Maybe my height makes a difference 5’4”. Can’t say that I’ll never get a larger tank, but I don’t see that happening at this point. Make sure you connect your new build here so I can follow along!! :)
I love the tank as well but its like getting a Porsche 911 and driving a Porsche 911 Turbo. Human nature I guess its never enough! Thank you and for sure I will get it going as soon as I have a few minutes I documented moving the Frag it went alot better than I thought it would! Only lost about a 2mm size of an SPS that grows extremely fast anyways. (I bumped into it)

primalpete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad I came across this thread. I have been looking at your listing for this tank everyday on Facebook. Tank and sump look nice. Almost ready to pull the trigger.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back