New Waterbox Marine X 60.2 Build

hworner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having my nano tank running for about 5 Months now I couldn't wait any longer to upgrade to a bigger tank. I decided to go with the marine x 60.2. This will be my first tank with a sump so I am excited to see how this turns out! Going to be a mixed reef with fish!

Sand: 40 LBS of caribsea fiji pink live sand
Rock: 30 LBS of live rock from LFS (going to add more)
Power Head: Nero 5 thinking of adding a 2k Gyre to the opposite side
Return Pump: Coral Box DCA4000
ATO: Duetto
Heater: BRS 300 Watt Titanium controller by InkBird wifi controller
Skimmer: Undecided, looking at the Reef Octopus Classic 110
Lighting: Still deciding between a XR15 with a T5 hybrid, XR30, Or the Reefbreeder photon V2
Media Reactor: BRS Dual chamber carbo/gfo
If anyone has any input on better equipment I am open to anything!

IMG_7281.jpg IMG_7282.jpg IMG_7283.jpg

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great, thanks for sharing your build fellow Waterbox Marine Xer! I'm admittedly a newbie reefer, but your equipment list looks good! Excited to see your tank progress.

RDK63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i just got the x60.2 I was told that the rule of thumb should be 1 lb of rock to 1 gallon of water. the X60.2 is 36 gallons. so i have 40 lbs of caribea Sea life rock and i am trying to arrange it while staying a couple inches away from all the glass. Did you ever add more rock ? I will have absolutely a minimum of open sand space thats not somehow under the rock canopy. Please tell me your thoughts and anything you might have done differently. Any help with anything about your tank would be helpful. Thanks

RDK63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having my nano tank running for about 5 Months now I couldn't wait any longer to upgrade to a bigger tank. I decided to go with the marine x 60.2. This will be my first tank with a sump so I am excited to see how this turns out! Going to be a mixed reef with fish!

Sand: 40 LBS of caribsea fiji pink live sand
Rock: 30 LBS of live rock from LFS (going to add more)
Power Head: Nero 5 thinking of adding a 2k Gyre to the opposite side
Return Pump: Coral Box DCA4000
ATO: Duetto
Heater: BRS 300 Watt Titanium controller by InkBird wifi controller
Skimmer: Undecided, looking at the Reef Octopus Classic 110
Lighting: Still deciding between a XR15 with a T5 hybrid, XR30, Or the Reefbreeder photon V2
Media Reactor: BRS Dual chamber carbo/gfo
If anyone has any input on better equipment I am open to anything!

IMG_7281.jpg IMG_7282.jpg IMG_7283.jpg
Hi, i just got the x60.2 I was told that the rule of thumb should be 1 lb of rock to 1 gallon of water. the X60.2 is 36 gallons. so i have 40 lbs of caribea Sea life rock and i am trying to arrange it while staying a couple inches away from all the glass. Did you ever add more rock ? I will have absolutely a minimum of open sand space thats not somehow under the rock canopy. Please tell me your thoughts and anything you might have done differently. Any help with anything about your tank would be helpful. Thanks

OP
OP
hworner

hworner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t got to the lfs yet to get more rock but am still going to, I aquascaped my rock outside of the tank on a piece of cardboard cut to the dimensions of the tank and that definitely helped a lot instead of trying to do it inside the tank, if you want more space in the sand you can always take a piece or two out and just throw it in the sump incase you ever want to use it in the display! Hope this helps

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!!

RDK63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t got to the lfs yet to get more rock but am still going to, I aquascaped my rock outside of the tank on a piece of cardboard cut to the dimensions of the tank and that definitely helped a lot instead of trying to do it inside the tank, if you want more space in the sand you can always take a piece or two out and just throw it in the sump incase you ever want to use it in the display! Hope this helps
Yes, ive done the same. My local reef shop said to use at least one pound of rock per gallon for filtration and such. Since its a 36 gallon tank, i purchased 40 pounds of caribisea life rock. I laid out the card board pattern on a table. marked off 2 inches around the whole card board box to allow for sand area and ability to clean inside the glass. I'm telling you that 20-25 pounds of rock about a 12-14 inches high is all i will be able to put in my tank. Anymore and i will not have any room for any kind of swimming fish to have room. Whats going to happen to my water balance if i cant put but half of what is recommended for a 36 gallon tank? I will ultimately put in a protein skimmer in my sump tank so that will limit adding much if any rock in there? This question is open to all and any that can give me some advice. Thanks

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, ive done the same. My local reef shop said to use at least one pound of rock per gallon for filtration and such. Since its a 36 gallon tank, i purchased 40 pounds of caribisea life rock. I laid out the card board pattern on a table. marked off 2 inches around the whole card board box to allow for sand area and ability to clean inside the glass. I'm telling you that 20-25 pounds of rock about a 12-14 inches high is all i will be able to put in my tank. Anymore and i will not have any room for any kind of swimming fish to have room. Whats going to happen to my water balance if i cant put but half of what is recommended for a 36 gallon tank? I will ultimately put in a protein skimmer in my sump tank so that will limit adding much if any rock in there? This question is open to all and any that can give me some advice. Thanks
I'm going to be purchasing rock for the Marine X 60.2 too and I was thinking the same thing that there won't be any space for fish to swim. How much rock did you end up going with?

RDK63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to be purchasing rock for the Marine X 60.2 too and I was thinking the same thing that there won't be any space for fish to swim. How much rock did you end up going with?
I used 25 lbs of the caribea sea life rock. Its been 4.5 weeks and my tank finally cycled. Im sure it probably would have been better if i could have used all 40 lbs of the life rock . However , there would not have been much room at all for to add a swimmers unless i wanted bottom dwellers only.

RDK63

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 25 lbs of the caribea sea life rock. Its been 4.5 weeks and my tank finally cycled. Im sure it probably would have been better if i could have used all 40 lbs of the life rock . However , there would not have been much room at all for to add a swimmers unless i wanted bottom dwellers only.
If your local shop has any small piece of live wet rock that you can add to help with the cycle , you may want to do that too. I was worried about adding anything extra to my water that the true live rock might be carrying. However, if you feel good about adding a small piece that already has bacteria and such on it, may speed up your cycling. Its always a gamble.

OP
OP
hworner

hworner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your local shop has any small piece of live wet rock that you can add to help with the cycle , you may want to do that too. I was worried about adding anything extra to my water that the true live rock might be carrying. However, if you feel good about adding a small piece that already has bacteria and such on it, may speed up your cycling. Its always a gamble.
I added about 10 more pounds of live rock last week so I now have roughly 35-40 pounds in the tank now. I’ll take pictures when I get home of how I scaped it seems like the fish still have a decent amount of space to swim

OP
OP
hworner

hworner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added about 10 more pounds of live rock last week so I now have roughly 35-40 pounds in the tank now. I’ll take pictures when I get home of how I scaped it seems like the fish still have a decent amount of space to swim

Attachments

• FCA1D573-0D2D-423F-A292-7772A6724375.jpeg
    FCA1D573-0D2D-423F-A292-7772A6724375.jpeg
    212.9 KB · Views: 176

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you were cycling the tank did you have the socks in?

albertski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my socks in when cycling the tank, what equipment did you end up with for your tank?
LOL All I have so far is the AI Prime Light and the 200W Titanium Aquarium Heater System. Planning on getting the EcoTech Marine Vectra S2 next and the wavemaker closer to when the tank gets cycled.

I'm waiting on one more item for my RODI system and hoping to start my 10-gallon quarantine tank. Perhaps in two weeks start the cycle process on the Marine X 60.2.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back