New Waterbox Peninsula

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good Morning All!

I decided last week to get back into the Nano Reef Tank hobby after a few years hiatus. I bought the Waterbox Peninsula 15 and I’m looking for some tips on what to use in the rear all in one chambers. So far I’ve got the return pump and heater in the right most chamber, the filter sock in the left most chamber and then I was going to run carbon and Purigen in the middle compartment.

I’ve also considered getting a media rack to move the carbon and Purigen over to the left chamber in place of the filter sock and run some floss instead. My previous tanks I’ve never used a skimmer, but also considered doing that as well or maybe even some macro algae

There are so many options out there, I’d love to hear from some other All In One/Waterbox owners on how they setup their rear compartments.

Just for fun, here’s a video of my aqua scape so far: https://youtube.com/shorts/afuukvPMLIg?feature=share

unfortunately the tank isn’t cycling yet because my BRS RODI filter came broken , waiting on them to contact me to get a new one, so I’m taking the extra days to explore all my options.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be hesitant to run the heater in the right most chamber. If something happens and your water level changes (i.e. your auto top off runs out of water), your heater could end up above the water line and then you would have a bad day.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning All!

I decided last week to get back into the Nano Reef Tank hobby after a few years hiatus. I bought the Waterbox Peninsula 15 and I’m looking for some tips on what to use in the rear all in one chambers. So far I’ve got the return pump and heater in the right most chamber, the filter sock in the left most chamber and then I was going to run carbon and Purigen in the middle compartment.

I’ve also considered getting a media rack to move the carbon and Purigen over to the left chamber in place of the filter sock and run some floss instead. My previous tanks I’ve never used a skimmer, but also considered doing that as well or maybe even some macro algae

There are so many options out there, I’d love to hear from some other All In One/Waterbox owners on how they setup their rear compartments.

Just for fun, here’s a video of my aqua scape so far: https://youtube.com/shorts/afuukvPMLIg?feature=share

unfortunately the tank isn’t cycling yet because my BRS RODI filter came broken , waiting on them to contact me to get a new one, so I’m taking the extra days to explore all my options.
first off, hello fellow peninsula 15!

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd be hesitant to run the heater in the right most chamber. If something happens and your water level changes (i.e. your auto top off runs out of water), your heater could end up above the water line and then you would have a bad day.
Ok this is good feedback, middle compartment ok or you suggest in the tank? I’m hoping to hide as much equipment as possible.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I’ve got the return pump and heater in the right most chamber, the filter sock in the left most chamber and then I was going to run carbon and Purigen in the middle compartment.

This is good, same setup as me, make sure to have the heater setup in a way it can always far above the line

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is good feedback, middle compartment ok or you suggest in the tank? I’m hoping to hide as much equipment as possible.

I strongly suggest middle compartment. The water level there basically can't change. Heater issues are one of the most frequent failure modes of a tank, and a tank this small with an open top will evaporate a lot of water each day. Put it in the middle and never worry about it again.

I was checking out the in-tank brand media baskets and I think that running a chamber 1 (left side) media basket with filter floss up top, chemical filtration media in the middle slot, and maybe a little biological media in the third slot would really do the trick. I'd put the heater in the middle chamber and any dosing or ATO lines above the water line in the middle chamber (to avoid a siphon!!!) and have the ATO sensor in the right most chamber with your return pump.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mount the heater submerged in the right compartment, theres usually enough space to sink the heater to the bottom if its fully submergible, if it isn't go mid. its easy to hide the wires if they come from near eachother

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mount the heater submerged in the right compartment, theres usually enough space to sink the heater to the bottom if its fully submergible, if it isn't go mid. its easy to hide the wires if they come from near eachother
And when you have evaporation does the water level here change? What if you have an ATO failure?

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would also love to hear recommendations for an ATO system. On my previous tanks I always topped off manually, but I’m really trying to make a stable system that will last long term. Unfortunately, all of the nano ATO systems on BRS have horrible reviews regardless of model. Is there a consensus on a system that is reliable? I really liked the look of the JBJ Nano system as it’s all electronic, but it too has some terrible reviews and terrible YouTube comments.

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also love to hear recommendations for an ATO system. On my previous tanks I always topped off manually, but I’m really trying to make a stable system that will last long term. Unfortunately, all of the nano ATO systems on BRS have horrible reviews regardless of model. Is there a consensus on a system that is reliable? I really liked the look of the JBJ Nano system as it’s all electronic, but it too has some terrible reviews and terrible YouTube comments.
I own a P15 too and automatically top off with a dosing pump after having bad experiences with "true" ato's.
Works like a charm.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a P15 too and automatically top off with a dosing pump after having bad experiences with "true" ato's.
Works like a charm.
This is not the worst solution, but keep track of things when the weather changes and the humidity in your house changes due to different HVAC utilization.

I've never used one personally, but people seem to really like the tunze ATOs. The 3152 model I believe.

I have a crappy old off-brand one that's due to fail any day .

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ato isn't setup yet, evaporation can drop the level a bit but i just refill the tank at night, the water level doesn't shift that much
Between not being home 365 days a year and a whole lot of "life got in the way" this wouldn't work for me. But I'm glad it's working for you!

Harold999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also considered getting a media rack to move the carbon and Purigen over to the left chamber in place of the filter sock and run some floss instead.
I replaced the filtersock for floss a week ago but i need to rinse it out twice a day because it clogs up very fast. If i forget to do this the waterlevel in the returnpump chamber goes lower than it actually is and in case you have an ATO it will dump in rodi water while it shouldn't do that.

A sock is a pain in the a to clean but the only real good prefilter method in a nano in my opinion.

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced the filtersock for floss a week ago but i need to rinse it out twice a day because it clogs up very fast. If i forget to do this the waterlevel in the returnpump chamber goes lower than it actually is and in case you have an ATO it will dump in rodi water while it shouldn't do that.

A sock is a pain in the a to clean but the only real good prefilter method in a nano in my opinion.
Twice a day sounds intense. Have you ever tried one of the foam pads?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back