New Waterbox silicone is this okay?

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just received my waterbox marine x 110.4 this is my first new tank and I noticed some bubbles in the silicone I can't truly tell if it is bubbles or just a reflection its the front bottom section. When I press the silicone from the bottom the bubble goes away. I have not put water in the tank yet. I have been impressed with the quality and everything I'm just scared the silicone might not hold later on. thank you for helping me as well! The last picture is were the front glass and the bottom glass meet

20201021_192005.jpg 20201021_192026.jpg 20201021_192019.jpg

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit confused about what I'm looking at. Can you take a further away picture so I can get an idea of the whole picture? You mentioned bubbles but I'm seeing uneven/wavy silicone??

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a bit confused about what I'm looking at. Can you take a further away picture so I can get an idea of the whole picture? You mentioned bubbles but I'm seeing uneven/wavy silicone??
Thank you for your response! I will take a far away picture and I honestly don't know if it is a bubble or uneven

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I think I see now. The bubbles are in between where the panels meet? That is a very important part of the seal so I personally would be a bit uncomfortable about it and would probably contact waterbox and see what they have to say. Maybe they'll replace it but either way it's good to get issues like this documented in an email right away.

That being said I assume you still have the rest of the silicone in good shape and will most likely be just fine.

Of course if you do decide to set it up I would do a ~one week freshwater leak test in a garage or outside or something. That should give you some piece of mind

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok I think I see now. The bubbles are in between where the panels meet? That is a very important part of the seal so I personally would be a bit uncomfortable about it and would probably contact waterbox and see what they have to say. Maybe they'll replace it but either way it's good to get issues like this documented in an email right away.

That being said I assume you still have the rest of the silicone in good shape and will most likely be just fine.

Of course if you do decide to set it up I would do a ~one week freshwater leak test in a garage or outside or something. That should give you some piece of mind
Thank you for your response! Yes its where they meet and the rest looks good but I am nervous as well it seems that the silicone isn't in contact fully at that spot and there's another spot like this in same line but further to the left where the bottom and ride side meet. I will leave them everything thankyouu!

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear hopefully they can help us out its a beautiful tank!
Your post reminded me... I just emailed them about the silicon and I can't seem to get the doors on the edge away from the hinge to be flush with the tank/stand. Flush by the hinge, but not in the middle... and since it is a peninsula tank, that's an issue on ALL 5 doors.

I'll share what I hear back

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it’s good to contact them, mine is similar and just assumed it was an artifact of the floating pane optics and never bothered me. Been up and running for around a year so far.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your post reminded me... I just emailed them about the silicon and I can't seem to get the doors on the edge away from the hinge to be flush with the tank/stand. Flush by the hinge, but not in the middle... and since it is a peninsula tank, that's an issue on ALL 5 doors.

I'll share what I hear back
Let me know what they say! I had the same issue but was able to get it flush some how

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While it’s good to contact them, mine is similar and just assumed it was an artifact of the floating pane optics and never bothered me. Been up and running for around a year so far.
When you push on the silicone does it go away? Do you think its fine?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you push on the silicone does it go away? Do you think its fine?

I don’t think pushing has any impact on mine. It’s very possible they are different issues and it’s hard to tell from the photo. If you have any doubt contact them - it never hurts.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of the appeal and aesthetics of these tanks are the beautiful, clean silicone lines. Even if it's not structurally compromised, I'd be upset it looks like crap.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know what they say! I had the same issue but was able to get it flush some how

When your doors are closed are they flush? Where the PTO/soft-close pin is mine sticks out and can't get the door flush with the tank. The hinge side is fine so it's not a hinge adjustment, I think it's that pin.

Part of the appeal and aesthetics of these tanks are the beautiful, clean silicone lines. Even if it's not structurally compromised, I'd be upset it looks like crap.

Right, that is what I told WB when I had my issue with 2 of the hinge holes on the stand side being the length of the hinge off, the top screw hole on the hinge goes into the bottom predrilled. We came to an agreement on that issue though.

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick reply, this is what they had to say about the silicone...

" For your first concern of the marks in the silicone - you have to consider that glass magnifies everything. So even a .5mm (or .00019") imperfection or variance would be magnified to look of something much larger. The seams are completely filled in with silicone and have no issue that would be a concern of integrity of longevity. "

Now while I'd argue that they are not in fact 'completely filled in' otherwise I wouldn't see the squiggles... but agree that it's cosmetic. Good to have it on record incase something comes of it though.

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quick reply, this is what they had to say about the silicone...

" For your first concern of the marks in the silicone - you have to consider that glass magnifies everything. So even a .5mm (or .00019") imperfection or variance would be magnified to look of something much larger. The seams are completely filled in with silicone and have no issue that would be a concern of integrity of longevity. "

Now while I'd argue that they are not in fact 'completely filled in' otherwise I wouldn't see the squiggles... but agree that it's cosmetic. Good to have it on record incase something comes of it though.

I will take a picture of my doors so you can see it. I'm not gonna lie my brother helped me with the door. It was about an half an inch to low to be flush even though the door was on right. I also filled out my claim and have a feeling they will tell me the same. I bought waterbox because of the warranty and them doing right. If it is just a cosmetic issue then I will be okay with it. You can't really see it if you don't look ( thats all I can see now though lol). I also called and he sort of made it seem that it is just light going through the silicone but wouldn't that mean it should do that in most of the seams and not just the bottom seam?

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will take a picture of my doors so you can see it. I'm not gonna lie my brother helped me with the door. It was about an half an inch to low to be flush even though the door was on right. I also filled out my claim and have a feeling they will tell me the same. I bought waterbox because of the warranty and them doing right. If it is just a cosmetic issue then I will be okay with it. You can't really see it if you don't look ( thats all I can see now though lol). I also called and he sort of made it seem that it is just light going through the silicone but wouldn't that mean it should do that in most of the seams and not just the bottom seam?

Think it has to do with the pad on there as to why it's more noticeable. But if you look at the vertical panes on the corner you can see it too. Looks like it has to do with the beveled edge. Right edge looks normal, but the left edge you can see the 2 bows. Looks like they just aren't using quite enough silicone in some places to get it to come out of the seam enough to need to be wiped down to give it that clean line.

PXL_20201022_182114344.jpg

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think it has to do with the pad on there as to why it's more noticeable. But if you look at the vertical panes on the corner you can see it too. Looks like it has to do with the beveled edge. Right edge looks normal, but the left edge you can see the 2 bows. Looks like they just aren't using quite enough silicone in some places to get it to come out of the seam enough to need to be wiped down to give it that clean line.

PXL_20201022_182114344.jpg
Thats what they eluded to when they responded to me. As long as its cosmetic I'm 100 percent fine with it

OP
OP
Simon Reefing

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Marcelo, thank you for bringing your concerns to us as we are happy to let you know what you are seeing. Waterbox is designed as a "floating" type style aquarium. This is how we have the tank flush with the cabinet doors and also the tank is not making direct contact with cabinet on the seams. The leveling mat is applied to the bottom of the aquarium as the leveling support needed to achieve this style of aquarium. As such light has the ability to reflect/refract down glass and to the seams. The leveling mat is not laser cut like the glass so there can be small imperfections in that mat. Those can cause a variance in how the light penetrates down. You also do have to consider that glass magnifies everything. So even a .5mm (or .00019") imperfection or variance in silicone would be magnified to look of something much larger. The seams are completely filled in with silicone and have no issue that would be a concern of integrity of longevity. We 100% stand behind our product and hope this makes a bit more sense to what you are seeing.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%

Back