sixty_reefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I’m sorry, but that isn’t definitive. There are many reef aquariums, more in the past, that kept nutrients stripped without issue.
That’s absolutely correct, not just in the past many still do it successfully today as a method, meaning that there is some knowledge behind what they doing, they feed immensely they’re tanks and export the same, meaning that at any given point there is a abundance of nutrients, most people stop feeding they’re tanks as soon as they see a few green hairs of algae growing and deplete the systems out of nutrients. There’s a big difference between having a good import export system and depleting a system out of nutrients.
in addition I haven’t seen anyone being successful at reducing or eliminating invasive algaes by just depleting a system of nutrients. Not entirely sure on why it become a common practice.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

sixty_reefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
And I also disagree with the first statement. While many cases involve dinoflagellates surfacing after trying to eradicate nuisance algae, you also see a lot of cases of people that have them spontaneously arise on new dry rock and sand.
If you look at the residual nitrate and phosphates in those threads you could make the connection.
I’ve seen many where residual nutrients were just bottom out also creating the high abundance of Doc and N-Doc situation that dinoflagellates and Cyanobacteria need tho thrive.
We are a culture of blaming things but we rarely try and figure out why something happens.
it’s not just dry rock the same happens with live rock as long as the nutrient imbalance situation is made it doesn’t really matter what’s in the tank, if there is a spore, bacteria or cell they will bloom.

djf91

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
That’s absolutely correct, not just in the past many still do it successfully today as a method, meaning that there is some knowledge behind what they doing, they feed immensely they’re tanks and export the same, meaning that at any given point there is a abundance of nutrients, most people stop feeding they’re tanks as soon as they see a few green hairs of algae growing and deplete the systems out of nutrients. There’s a big difference between having a good import export system and depleting a system out of nutrients.
in addition I haven’t seen anyone being successful at reducing or eliminating invasive algaes by just depleting a system of nutrients. Not entirely sure on why it become a common practice.
I do agree with this and I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I think a well rounded aquarium/ reef ecosystem has a high import and export of nutrients/ large fish load while still maintaining low N and P. Combine this with live rock, sand, and mud from the ocean and a large sized /diverse refugium.

sixty_reefer

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I do agree with this and I think we are mostly saying the same thing. I think a well rounded aquarium/ reef ecosystem has a high import and export of nutrients/ large fish load while still maintaining low N and P. Combine this with live rock, sand, and mud from the ocean and a large sized /diverse refugium.
I agree and what I find difficult and some times frustrating is that most new comers to the hobby just copy the residual low nutrients and forget about the import export. Those amazing tanks they see on YouTube probably will see more food in a day than they’re tank would see in a month.

Deltec

Did you start off in the reef hobby buying used equipment? Do you still use pre-owned equipment? (Choose all that apply)

• Yes, I did start off with some used equipment. It made getting everything going easier!

Votes: 139 40.2%
  • Yes, I did start off with some used equipment, but it was a mistake I won't make again.

Votes: 18 5.2%
  • I still buy used equipment! It's a helpful way to save money in this hobby!

Votes: 106 30.6%
  • Nope! Everything I used to get started was new! And I'm glad I started with all new stuff!

Votes: 85 24.6%
  • Nope! Everything I used to get started was new! But, I should've looked around for used options!

Votes: 35 10.1%
  • I still only buy new equipment! Lots of problems avoided that way!

Votes: 45 13.0%
  • Other... (Post in the thread)

Votes: 13 3.8%