New Wrasse with White Stringy PooPoo

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a yellow banded possum wrasse. Shortly after adding him to the tank I noticed white stringy poop. It eventually did fall off but only when he swam right near the wavemaker. It was hard to tell but I didn't notice the poop move on its own. I do not have a quarantine tank due to budget and space so I am sorry to anyone who I have disappointed in that regard. With that said he ate at the LFS right before I got him. He also is a little pale, but that didn't originally worry me because I figured he would become more vibrant as he settles in to my tank. Anyways, I am a little worried and to make matters worse I live in Canada and it doesn't seem like I can legally get any medication within a short timeframe.

Does anyone have any advice for me to do from here on out?
What should I specifically pay attention to while watching the wrasse?
Are there any herbal or non fish marketed remedies I can get that would work?

Or am I just completely overreacting?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a yellow banded possum wrasse. Shortly after adding him to the tank I noticed white stringy poop. It eventually did fall off but only when he swam right near the wavemaker. It was hard to tell but I didn't notice the poop move on its own. I do not have a quarantine tank due to budget and space so I am sorry to anyone who I have disappointed in that regard. With that said he ate at the LFS right before I got him. He also is a little pale, but that didn't originally worry me because I figured he would become more vibrant as he settles in to my tank. Anyways, I am a little worried and to make matters worse I live in Canada and it doesn't seem like I can legally get any medication within a short timeframe.

Does anyone have any advice for me to do from here on out?
What should I specifically pay attention to while watching the wrasse?
Are there any herbal or non fish marketed remedies I can get that would work?

Or am I just completely overreacting?
Is the wrasse feeding ok in your tank now? White stringy feces on newly acquired fish can be bacteria, protozoan, lack of food or for no reason at all. Worm parasites usually do not cause white feces, as the worms stay inside and just pass tiny eggs.
Being in Canada is going to really limit your options though....

Jay

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the wrasse feeding ok in your tank now? White stringy feces on newly acquired fish can be bacteria, protozoan, lack of food or for no reason at all. Worm parasites usually do not cause white feces, as the worms stay inside and just pass tiny eggs.
Being in Canada is going to really limit your options though....

Jay
I really appreciate the reply. I was out yesterday so I unfortunately wasn't able to observe him much. However he is still alive and moving from location to location but overall is still obviously stressed and hiding. He currently is hiding in the corner of my tank. I attempted to feed him some frozen food today but there was no reaction at all. He overall seems decent though. I mean he didn't die in the first 24 hours so that's encouraging.

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I think I made a huge mistake. The wrasse is covered in tiny white spots now. Absolutely covered. I am assuming the worst... The only thing that confuses me is that this seemed to have happened over night. He was spotless when I first put him in.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I think I made a huge mistake. The wrasse is covered in tiny white spots now. Absolutely covered. I am assuming the worst... The only thing that confuses me is that this seemed to have happened over night. He was spotless when I first put him in.
Any other fish in there?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep... 2 clowns and a tailspot blenny
Can you post a picture? It is probably ich, but I'd like to try and confirm that....

Jay

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep... 2 clowns and a tailspot blenny
QT all fish now with copper... only sure kill for ich among others. Have to leave the main tank running fish free for at least 3 months to let the ich/parasite cycle run it’s course and die off in there before you can put the other fish back. Best of luck

OP
OP
K

kalebos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as expected the wrasse died this morning. He hung in there for longer than I thought but it was sad to see him go. HT is all setup and fish are in there and I am dosing copper safe. DT is fallow. No signs of ich yet so I'm optimistic that there won't be any new casualties... knock on wood

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back