New Yellow Assessor won't stop swimming upside down

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just yesterday received a beautiful Yellow Assessor from Blue Zoo. Put it into quarantine after equalizing temp and salinity. It appears to be healthy and is doing great - out in the water column, easily avoiding a curious sapphire damsel, eating already. However, it's swimming upside down. All the time. I haven't seen it right side up yet.

I know this species likes to hang out upside down in caves, but I assumed they would right themselves when coming out into the open. Anyone have any relevant experience with this? Is this fish likely to behave like this indefinitely? I mean, I could get used to it, but would rather not.

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's part of their charm. Some individuals are more apt to do it than others. Give him time, he should orient normally more of the time, but the upside down swimming is perfectly normal.
Thanks for confirming that this is ok!

I am curious what percentage of these stay this way permanently, and of those that do adjust, the typical time course. :)

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I actually have a couple of very nice rock arches in the new tank that I now hope it will take to hanging out under. :)

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing there is not much in the QT tank for it to orient itself. For a fish that is just as comfortable being upside down as right side up, I could see that without substrate or other structure to orient against, it wouldn’t have a reason to orient itself one way vs the other.

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m guessing there is not much in the QT tank for it to orient itself. For a fish that is just as comfortable being upside down as right side up, I could see that without substrate or other structure to orient against, it wouldn’t have a reason to orient itself one way vs the other.
That's a very good point and you are correct, there is no substrate, only some pvc pipe. And the tank sits on an open metal stand, so the fish can see through the bottom. Perhaps I should add a bit of clean sand, or put some pieces of cardboard under the tank.

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any better?
Still doing it! Putting cardboard across the bottom of the tank has made no difference so far. So weird. And yet it's gracefully zooming back and forth when I feed the tank, grabbing tidbits. Absolutely no signs that it's distressed in any way. Just sees the world different than everyone else, I guess.
connie_mini_girlspin.gif

OP
OP
rkpetersen

rkpetersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The odd little fish sailed through quarantine, upside down. Never once turned right side up, not even for a moment. Matched temp and salinity, netted it, dropped it in a social acclimator in the DT, and it immediately started swimming right side up, as if it could have done so all along and was just messing with me. :)

We'll see if it does the upside down thing again once released into the aquascape.

Last edited:

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is "Normal" behavior for Yellow Assessors. Some do it more than others. Mine perches upside down on rockwork, but typically swims normally (sometimes sideways). Just how they are.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine swam right side up for about 5 months then seemingly overnight started to hang around under the plating monti, and now swims upside down 100% of the time.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favorite fish. My Randall’s used to be on a schedule. I could always count on him being the first fish up in the morning and then would disappear into the rocks for the rest of the day and then reappear at feeding time in the evening. I miss him. Had to sell him off when I did my tank move.
Great fish!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other assessor owners, has yours had a lot of colour fade? I can't figure out why mine is very dull versus purchase, eats the same diet as everything else in the tank (mysis, mysis pellets, LRS frenzy, PE calanus).

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back