New Yellow Tang Discoloration or Sick?

abreeann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an 180gal reef tank that's been up and running for almost a year now. We unfortunately do not have a quarantine tank. The yellow tang, along with a Tomini tang and Diamond Watchman Goby all went into the display tank last Saturday 6/27/20. Tomini is feeding/grazing great and Goby is sifting the sand as he should be. Yellow Tang on the other hand has something going on. Poor thing is very shy. It's remained in the caves and dimmer areas of the tank. It doesn't flee when it sees me now so is doing better but still isn't coming out at feeding time. I've put some nori right by a cave and it's eaten that as well as some LRS Reef Frenzy (soaked in Selcon). Originally I noticed some darker discoloration but figured that was just stress and night time colors as I observed it better when the lights were off initially. I'm now seeing multiple larger white splotches and more darker areas of discoloration. I also noticed a dark string/hair/algae piece on the right fun while taking some pictures this morning. Any idea what's going on?

IMG_20200702_104445.jpg MVIMG_20200702_104120.jpg IMG_20200702_104453.jpg IMG_20200702_104234.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor fish. That's a horrible case of HLLE and a bacterial infection too.

OP
OP
abreeann

abreeann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor fish. That's a horrible case of HLLE and a bacterial infection too.

Thank you for the quick reply. I was thinking possible bacterial infection :( I'll aquire the needed antibiotics and try to get something set up to start treatment this weekend. I've got Furen2 I could start with. (We do have a UV sterilizer set up on the tank.) As for HLLE, looks like it's kinda a sit and wait to get better? We're feeding good food (the LRS reef frenzy and nori soaked in Selcon), we don't run carbon and there's been no copper exposure here. We have a ground in the tank as well.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add some Beta Glucan to the food mix. It tremendously boosts the fish's immune system. Might also want to try adding Brightwell's Angelixir to the food as well.

IMG_2165.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-17 at 2.37.00 PM.png

OP
OP
abreeann

abreeann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an 180gal reef tank that's been up and running for almost a year now. We unfortunately do not have a quarantine tank. The yellow tang, along with a Tomini tang and Diamond Watchman Goby all went into the display tank last Saturday 6/27/20. Tomini is feeding/grazing great and Goby is sifting the sand as he should be. Yellow Tang on the other hand has something going on. Poor thing is very shy. It's remained in the caves and dimmer areas of the tank. It doesn't flee when it sees me now so is doing better but still isn't coming out at feeding time. I've put some nori right by a cave and it's eaten that as well as some LRS Reef Frenzy (soaked in Selcon). Originally I noticed some darker discoloration but figured that was just stress and night time colors as I observed it better when the lights were off initially. I'm now seeing multiple larger white splotches and more darker areas of discoloration. I also noticed a dark string/hair/algae piece on the right fun while taking some pictures this morning. Any idea what's going on?

IMG_20200702_104445.jpg MVIMG_20200702_104120.jpg IMG_20200702_104453.jpg IMG_20200702_104234.jpg

Well before we could get anything set up or catch the poor guy to get him back to the LFS, we found him dead this morning. Thanks for the help and suggestions moving forward.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss. Lots of sick yellow tangs all of a sudden in postings.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back