New York Aquatics vs bluezoo review

Lionfish hunter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a moorish idol from NY Aquatics. After reading and talking to them it seemed they use decent quarantine procedures. They claim Moorish Idols are not as hard as everyone says because they only sell ones that are eating, and do not list them on the list of fish with no 7 day guarantee. I was told the moorish idol was eating hikari mysis shrimp. The fish came in plump and seemingly healthy. He was put in a cycled quarantine tank by himself with no copper. First off he would not eat hykari mysis shrimp and I do not believe he ever had. When I put it in the water it was like he had never seen it. I did get him to eat seaweed and live clams on day one. Day 6 comes around and he went from eating seaweed and clams (wouldnt touch anything else), to completely covered in velvet and lost all his color. the poor guy did not make it to the next day. I emailed NY Aquatics on what happened asking for their 7 day alive promise. I received no response. I emailed 2 days later, I received no response. That was a month ago.

I then purchased a Moorish Idol from blue zoo aquatics. I asked for them to only send me a fish that was eating. They called me the next day and said the moorish idols didn‘t eat and the shipmant was on hold. The next day I got a call saying they all ate and were shipping out. The moorish idol I received ate pellets, seaweed, and frozen food on day 1. He now has a streamer 4 times the length of his body and has put on an insane amount of weight. Did he have ich or velvet? I do not know, went straight into copper. He has been out of copper for 9 days now.

I understand every place online sells fish with ich/ velvet. The fish go into copper and show up with no signs of disease. This is the industry standard. I had a blue tang with ich from bluezoo. And a dead urchin. Without hesitation they gave me store credit for both. NY aquatics should be avoided if possible in my opinion, they have proven that they won’t do what they claim.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I purchased a moorish idol from NY Aquatics. After reading and talking to them it seemed they use decent quarantine procedures. They claim Moorish Idols are not as hard as everyone says because they only sell ones that are eating, and do not list them on the list of fish with no 7 day guarantee. I was told the moorish idol was eating hikari mysis shrimp. The fish came in plump and seemingly healthy. He was put in a cycled quarantine tank by himself with no copper. First off he would not eat hykari mysis shrimp and I do not believe he ever had. When I put it in the water it was like he had never seen it. I did get him to eat seaweed and live clams on day one. Day 6 comes around and he went from eating seaweed and clams (wouldnt touch anything else), to completely covered in velvet and lost all his color. the poor guy did not make it to the next day. I emailed NY Aquatics on what happened asking for their 7 day alive promise. I received no response. I emailed 2 days later, I received no response. That was a month ago.

I then purchased a Moorish Idol from blue zoo aquatics. I asked for them to only send me a fish that was eating. They called me the next day and said the moorish idols didn‘t eat and the shipmant was on hold. The next day I got a call saying they all ate and were shipping out. The moorish idol I received ate pellets, seaweed, and frozen food on day 1. He now has a streamer 4 times the length of his body and has put on an insane amount of weight. Did he have ich or velvet? I do not know, went straight into copper. He has been out of copper for 9 days now.

I understand every place online sells fish with ich/ velvet. The fish go into copper and show up with no signs of disease. This is the industry standard. I had a blue tang with ich from bluezoo. And a dead urchin. Without hesitation they gave me store credit for both. NY aquatics should be avoided if possible in my opinion, they have proven that they won’t do what they claim.
Best I can say- if you quarantine- medicate even with ruby rally pro
When medicating, always increase oxygen

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

Back