New Zoanthus Colony Loosening off rock with white string on them and slowly decaying (smell horrible aswell) !NEED URGENT HELP!

MiloVW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
So I bought this new zoa colony at an LFS where I have been once before and it's not doing too great.
I bought the colony Saturday November 28th 2020 so I've had it for almost a week now.

The issues:
- Less and less polyps open up every day
- White strings appearing at the base of the stems of the polyps also causing them to peel off.
- Black/Dark green sludge in the middle of the colony underneath the polyp stem bases.
- Smells like rotten eggs in a dumpster when I take it out to have a better look.
- Some polyps even fell off when I picked it up to take pictures.

I don't know what could be the cause I don't have much experience with zoanthids.

I have a 60 Liter tank (15.85 Gallons) and my livestock is:

- Tiny ocellaris clownfish (does not nest in the zoas so not the cause as far as I can tell)
- Royal gramma (put in the same time as the zoa colony)
- Candy cane goby
- Cleaner shrimp
- Peppermint shrimp (put in the same time as the zoa colony)
- Halloween hermit crab
- 3 nassarius snails

I would really appreciate help, is this a bacterial infection or virus or pest or are they rotting or something? My water values were all fine when I tested them the day I bought and put in the zoas.
Below I will put some pictures

IMG-3597 (1).jpg IMG-3596.jpg IMG-3593.jpg IMG-3591.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, when you say your water paramters were "all fine", what exactly were they?
Next, how old is the tank?
What lighting are you using?
It could be a bacterial infection, a pest or tank params. Did you dip it before placing in the tank? Any other corals in the tank?
Pro tip: Use a glove when handling Zoas. Don't want to find out the hard way if you're allergic to their toxins. (better safe than sorry in my book!)

OP
OP
M

MiloVW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know exactly what the parameters are, they put a test strip in my water I took they said nothing out of order all parameters were as they should.

The tank is about a year old, got it last christmas.

I am using the Horizon Lancia WiFi LED (590 mm 24W I think or one size bigger which isnt that much of a difference), the light it emits goes automatically by the horizon app and are the basic settings to recreate lighting like it is in the ocean (mostly like around the equator).

No I did not dip it, I just acclimated and I have a pavona cactus, green star polyp colony and green candy cane coral but none of them are even close to it, its alone in the substrate bottom of the tank.

Yes I will thanks, I was kinda shook when they smelled so bad and I was like; oh no maybe they're releasing palyzoa toxins, I hope I don't have any wounds on my hands since im really sensitive with some allergies like certain fungi, trees and my hay fever.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know exactly what the parameters are, they put a test strip in my water I took they said nothing out of order all parameters were as they should.

The tank is about a year old, got it last christmas.

I am using the Horizon Lancia WiFi LED (590 mm 24W I think or one size bigger which isnt that much of a difference), the light it emits goes automatically by the horizon app and are the basic settings to recreate lighting like it is in the ocean (mostly like around the equator).

No I did not dip it, I just acclimated and I have a pavona cactus, green star polyp colony and green candy cane coral but none of them are even close to it, its alone in the substrate bottom of the tank.

Yes I will thanks, I was kinda shook when they smelled so bad and I was like; oh no maybe they're releasing palyzoa toxins, I hope I don't have any wounds on my hands since im really sensitive with some allergies like certain fungi, trees and my hay fever.
In addition to looking for an Nudi's as suggested above, you should get some test kits and test your water.
Salinity, temp, Nitrate, Phosphate, etc.
Your LFS uses test strips?

I would not be using that LFS.

OMG, this is gold! Agree 100%!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I would immediately get those zoas off the plug. Razor blade to separate the zoas from the plug and collect the zoas in a container. Submerge in 1:1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide to tank water for 1-2 minutes to kill any bacteria/infection. Remove from dip and superglue to a fresh frag plug or piece of rubble. The dip will cause the zoas to stay closed for 2-5 days so don’t freak out. Hopefully they get better

OP
OP
M

MiloVW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to looking for an Nudi's as suggested above, you should get some test kits and test your water.
Salinity, temp, Nitrate, Phosphate, etc.

OMG, this is gold! Agree 100%!
Yes I already have all those meters I just tested again and everything is still perfect, Salinity 1.025, temp 25 degrees celcius, nitrate 30, phosphate 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have no faith in test strips or badges
If they use strips, I’d consider finding an alternative place to shop
It could be the glue loosening or stress. As others indicated you must know the levels in order to get accurate assessment- this is where you want to be
Keep them off sand as it gets on them and irritates them. Moderate light and water flow also

salinity. 1.024 - 1.025
Ph. 8.1-8.3
Temperature 77-79
Nitrate < .04
Ammonia < .03
Phosphate .05

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You gotta dip your corals or face the consequences. At this point any baddies are now throughout your entire tank.

I'd do what Footgal suggested and put them in hydrogen peroxide.

Also be aware Peppermint shrimp have been known to prey on Zoas (this could be your issue).

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, 0 phosphate will kill your corals. They need phosphate to live. May not be helping.

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I would immediately get those zoas off the plug. Razor blade to separate the zoas from the plug and collect the zoas in a container. Submerge in 1:1 ratio of hydrogen peroxide to tank water for 1-2 minutes to kill any bacteria/infection. Remove from dip and superglue to a fresh frag plug or piece of rubble. The dip will cause the zoas to stay closed for 2-5 days so don’t freak out. Hopefully they get better
This is the best advise. When zoas smell bad, it is usually Bacterial infection. H2O2 dip will kill the bacteria and yes the zoas will be ticked off and stay closed. The will open in a few days and recover. As for a LFS that uses strips to test, I suggest that you stop going to the LFS.

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I already have all those meters I just tested again and everything is still perfect, Salinity 1.025, temp 25 degrees celcius, nitrate 30, phosphate 0
Nitrates at 30? that is high. You need to bring this down slowly with water changes and look into Vodka dosing.

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not take them out of the water to look at them. If one squirts you in the eye, you could be in a world of trouble.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
So I bought this new zoa colony at an LFS where I have been once before and it's not doing too great.
I bought the colony Saturday November 28th 2020 so I've had it for almost a week now.

The issues:
- Less and less polyps open up every day
- White strings appearing at the base of the stems of the polyps also causing them to peel off.
- Black/Dark green sludge in the middle of the colony underneath the polyp stem bases.
- Smells like rotten eggs in a dumpster when I take it out to have a better look.
- Some polyps even fell off when I picked it up to take pictures.

I don't know what could be the cause I don't have much experience with zoanthids.

I have a 60 Liter tank (15.85 Gallons) and my livestock is:

- Tiny ocellaris clownfish (does not nest in the zoas so not the cause as far as I can tell)
- Royal gramma (put in the same time as the zoa colony)
- Candy cane goby
- Cleaner shrimp
- Peppermint shrimp (put in the same time as the zoa colony)
- Halloween hermit crab
- 3 nassarius snails

I would really appreciate help, is this a bacterial infection or virus or pest or are they rotting or something? My water values were all fine when I tested them the day I bought and put in the zoas.
Below I will put some pictures

IMG-3597 (1).jpg IMG-3596.jpg IMG-3593.jpg IMG-3591.jpg
I would keep an eye on the Peppermint shrimp.

Back