New Zoas!....but I don't know what they are. Please help?

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - I recently bought a "frag pack" with 10 zoas, and I have no idea what they are. I paid 10 bucks each for these. I'm assuming they're mostly "beginner" frags, and that's just what I wanted.

Any help you're able to provide on ID for any of the zoas inline here would be greatly appreciated! I have marked the one I think I know...but I'm pretty dang new here.

Note that params on 3/28 were NO3 5-10 (salifert), PO4 - 0.03 (hanna), sg 1.026, ph 8.1, temp 78, cal 380 (salifert), mg 1325 (salifert). The green on the plugs is an outbreak of Euglena I am dealing with. I have a thread in the pest ID section on this topic. Thought I'd mention before anyone flames me about the green stuff. Tank has been online since October, but just added corals about a week ago.

1. Unknown (Black Death?)

IMG_0402.jpg

2. Unknown
IMG_0403.jpg

3. Unknown
IMG_0404.jpg

5. Unknown
IMG_0405.jpg

6. Fire and Ice? (thanks @Ta2oodfreak !)
IMG_0406.jpg

7. Radioactive Dragon Eyes (Thanks @Austin456 !)
IMG_0407.jpg

8. Unknown
IMG_0408.jpg

9. Unknown (also dragon eyes?)
IMG_0409.jpg

Last edited:

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay there’s a lot here! First, thank you for some great photography skills! Patterns are very clear, some angles could be better but honestly I’m astonished with the focus in all of these shots. Second, I’m gonna give you my best guess, I encourage you to google the names and look at the pics vs the corals in your tank to make sure I’m right :)

1- POTO Circus Freak (first pic if you just google “circus freak” but it’s a new release zoa name. Here’s a mediocre pic of mine)
F658C121-6CBA-4B27-8670-ED9D780703FC.jpeg

2- WWC Sweet Tooth
3- GBP (Green Bay Packers)
4- (you skipped 4?)
5- it’s super hard to see from this angle. Can you turn off the pumps and powerheads and take a photo from above? Probably Fire and ice based on blue and red
6- Fire and ice (just BTW, Fire and ice is any blue zoa with a red skirt. There are specific Fire and ice like Snitch, Suck ups, and Utter Peace. Kind of how all apples are apples but we have Fuji, Honeycrisp, and Granny Smith within that)
7- definitely radioactive dragon eyes
8- more Fire and ice (possibly Suck Up)
9- Hotshot

I hope that answers all your questions! Have a great night and your zoas look wonderful!

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay there’s a lot here! First, thank you for some great photography skills! Patterns are very clear, some angles could be better but honestly I’m astonished with the focus in all of these shots. Second, I’m gonna give you my best guess, I encourage you to google the names and look at the pics vs the corals in your tank to make sure I’m right :)

1- POTO Circus Freak (first pic if you just google “circus freak” but it’s a new release zoa name. Here’s a mediocre pic of mine)

2- WWC Sweet Tooth
4- (you skipped 4?)
5- it’s super hard to see from this angle. Can you turn off the pumps and powerheads and take a photo from above? Probably Fire and ice based on blue and red
6- Fire and ice (just BTW, Fire and ice is any blue zoa with a red skirt. There are specific Fire and ice like Snitch, Suck ups, and Utter Peace. Kind of how all apples are apples but we have Fuji, Honeycrisp, and Granny Smith within that)
9- Hotshot

I hope that answers all your questions! Have a great night and your zoas look wonderful!
Thank you SO MUCH! I really do appreciate you taking the time to educate a noob.

I will try to get a better shot of #5, and I guess I did skip #4! my bad. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

2- WWC Sweet Tooth
4- (you skipped 4?)
9- Hotshot

Also, regarding the photos, thank you for the compliment. Shot using an old Canon EOS60d, with a 70-300mm telephoto I have laying around and an extension tube, which enables you to convert a regular lens to a macro.

The way the frags are sitting in the tank made it hard to get straight shots at them, and any angle on the glass interferes with focus, especially for macro shots. Photography is my other hobby. Still learning how to make it work with a glass full of water, but getting better.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, regarding the photos, thank you for the compliment. Shot using an old Canon EOS60d, with a 70-300mm telephoto I have laying around and an extension tube, which enables you to convert a regular lens to a macro.

The way the frags are sitting in the tank made it hard to get straight shots at them, and any angle on the glass interferes with focus, especially for macro shots. Photography is my other hobby. Still learning how to make it work with a glass full of water, but getting better.
I just use my phone and a clip on lens lol. I really like turning off all the flow then taking top-down shots like I did with the Circus Freak

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use my phone and a clip on lens lol. I really like turning off all the flow then taking top-down shots like I did with the Circus Freak
That shot looks fantastic. I'll try to get some better shots of them tomorrow, and @ you in this thread, if you wouldn't mind. Thanks again for the help!

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@footgal - Here are a few overhead shots. Would love it if you could have another look. Thanks! (Please forgive the algae. Had a bloom of something, but I'm managing it, and it's getting better every day.)

1617394997167.png

1617395026760.png
Great pics!!
1- Fire and ice
2- radioactive dragon eyes (that have been in high par)
3 & 4- they look the same in these pics. If they have yellow then they’re probably Desert Star (not JF) and if no yellow then they’re Incredible Hulk
5- PPE
6- Radioactive Dragon Eyes (normal coloration)
7- honestly I’m not sure. Possibly morphed tinkerbells?
8- GBP and sweet tooths
9- probably more sweet tooth
10- Cry baby/ Halle Berry
11- eagle eyes
12- I’m working on finding it, but it’s going to take a while :)

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics!!
1- Fire and ice
2- radioactive dragon eyes (that have been in high par)
3 & 4- they look the same in these pics. If they have yellow then they’re probably Desert Star (not JF) and if no yellow then they’re Incredible Hulk
5- PPE
6- Radioactive Dragon Eyes (normal coloration)
7- honestly I’m not sure. Possibly morphed tinkerbells?
8- GBP and sweet tooths
9- probably more sweet tooth
10- Cry baby/ Halle Berry
11- eagle eyes
12- I’m working on finding it, but it’s going to take a while :)
Thanks again! You're the best. 3 and 4 are the same, btw. bought some from another vendor, and some more came in the zoa frag pack I bought.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all - I recently bought a "frag pack" with 10 zoas, and I have no idea what they are. I paid 10 bucks each for these. I'm assuming they're mostly "beginner" frags, and that's just what I wanted.

Any help you're able to provide on ID for any of the zoas inline here would be greatly appreciated! I have marked the one I think I know...but I'm pretty dang new here.

Note that params on 3/28 were NO3 5-10 (salifert), PO4 - 0.03 (hanna), sg 1.026, ph 8.1, temp 78, cal 380 (salifert), mg 1325 (salifert). The green on the plugs is an outbreak of Euglena I am dealing with. I have a thread in the pest ID section on this topic. Thought I'd mention before anyone flames me about the green stuff. Tank has been online since October, but just added corals about a week ago.

1. Unknown (Black Death?)

IMG_0402.jpg

2. Unknown
IMG_0403.jpg

3. Unknown
IMG_0404.jpg

5. Unknown
IMG_0405.jpg

6. Fire and Ice? (thanks @Ta2oodfreak !)
IMG_0406.jpg

7. Radioactive Dragon Eyes (Thanks @Austin456 !)
IMG_0407.jpg

8. Unknown
IMG_0408.jpg

9. Unknown (also dragon eyes?)
IMG_0409.jpg
@footgal haven't called you in a while. Anywho let's see some of your magic

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! You're the best. 3 and 4 are the same, btw. bought some from another vendor, and some more came in the zoa frag pack I bought.
lol I’m glad I was right about that! Spent a good 5 minutes staring at them to make sure they were the same

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back