Newb - how to place powerheads?

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current layout during phase 1 of the cycle. Can someone help me make a proper flow? Should I aim the powerheads on the rocks? And how can I avoid sand movement (avoiding bare glass bottom)

Here’s a few pictures of my setup, I have one very strong tunze powerhead and a weak one + bought a medium strength (265 gph) as a spare and for mixing salt. I made a drawing of how I placed them with the thicker arrow being the stronger powerhead, thin arrow the very weak one (120gph) and blue arrows filter water coming from the top.

the tunze powerhead isn’t attached yet as I ordered a new magnet stand because mine was rusted. I don’t know how strong the tunze one is but the seller told me it’s enough for my 60 gallon tank on its own.

also how high should they be placed? And facing more up or down? The strong one is about 1/3rd of the tank from the bottom and pointing slightly up

317B2455-68DB-4C7E-BD5E-7B8694D37F26.jpeg 266AA573-2A80-4ED0-9A03-94E389288578.jpeg 6739EDED-F757-4B3C-8799-4605B192A5B3.jpeg 0B903311-D166-448F-8811-53EB97A6C2C0.jpeg

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your placement should work well especially in the bull nose tank. It should be easy to create a circular flow around your rock scape. I would aim the Tunze up slightly so it creates a disturbance on the waters surface for added agitation and oxygenation. I would probably move your hob filter to the end as well, but it is all personal choice.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to place the strongest one on the side closest to the rear & near the surface pointing down towards the middle bottom. This will help blowing waste to the front for easy cleaning. The other unit use for surface agitation

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your placement should work well especially in the bull nose tank. It should be easy to create a circular flow around your rock scape. I would aim the Tunze up slightly so it creates a disturbance on the waters surface for added agitation and oxygenation. I would probably move your hob filter to the end as well, but it is all personal choice.
I totally agree with you having the filter on the other end would be a way better setup it's just that it wont fit unless i start cutting the frame (its too thick) I placed it where the guy before me had his since he already cut a nice piece to make it fit. I bought the tank secondhand

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back