Newbe to marine i hope

Gham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi to all reading this post, I am looking at getting into marine from the UK.
My only problem is I am on crutches from multiple hip replacement operations on the same leg. I hope to be off them soon but lifting heavy weights like water change may be a problem?
The tanks I am looking are Red Sea 170, 250 or 350. My choice of bigger is on if the water chemistry is going wrong I have more of a change of saving the tank, but this will mean bigger water change ie more weight. The 350 I like as the sump is away from the electrical side, to me having the 170 all electrical is above water not sure I like that?

What are your recommendations thanks in advanced
Graham

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone will say go as big as you can. I have a WB70.2 and wish I went bigger, now my problem is convincing the wife to allow me to go bigger..

Having a larger water volume will mean less parameter swings and easier to maintain. Yes larger water changes but well worth it.

Hope your recovery is quick. I got mine when I was in a sling for 8 weeks.. fun times and good luck

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome fellow brit.
I have also had had very bad mobility problems and had few back surgeries,up until last august i was on a mobility scooter as couldnt walk further than 5 metres but after that surgery been great success so hope yours is a good recovery also.
As for water changes we can use equipment to help us,i have a cheap pump with inlet at bottom ( cost was £ 16.99 i believe) and bought some hosing to fit and stick pump in sump but also can hold in dt or hang in aslong as confident hose wont detach then me personally i pump out exactly 25 litres and i make 25 litres clean saltwater and then using same pump i pump in saltwater with hose, you can have longer hose to take you where you make saltwater so dont have to physically lift any buckets whatsoever.
Only buckets i need to lift is after i make rodi water and i put it on a home made dolly that i made ( just some cheap wheels with bracket i screwed onto some wood) but you can buy a made one then i push it to the cupboard where i make saltwater.so my water changes less strain on my back plus much quicker as only takes 15 minutes now
Picture below isnt my exact model but very similar.just make sure if want a long length of hose then the pump can deal with the head pressure even if its horizantal it still loses pressure the further the length

Screenshot_20210830-141204_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gham

Gham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, it sounds better to move the water by pump then lift the water. Engineer out the problem with aids not pure muscle.

Any recommended on tank size?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Size all comes down to preference,budget, space,the wife,lifestyle plus many things.
Bigger systems when something goes wrong with parameters you got more time to realise and make changes compared to smaller systems that can go downhill fast.
But bigger systems you got or may have alot more £ in it with fish and need alot more corals to fill it in so need buy more straight away if inpatient or buy frags and wait longer for them to naturally get bigger.
Bigger systems you have more variety of fish choices but sometimes at higher cost.
Doing a 10% wc on a 100 litre tank going be less work and less salt plus just less off everything that you need to add like dosing if choose further down line or medication if fowlr than a bigger say 500 litre system.
So just need research all the ins and outs of owning a reef tank from day one -year 1 or year 10 etc ( the life of the tank) then make decision based on that.
Alot say buy as big as you can afford, biggest size can fit in room etc etc as will just ugrade bigger anyhow,but this isnt always the case.
Ive got a 300 litre dt with sump but i would off went to at least a 500 litre if not bigger if lived in a house but unfortunately live on second floor flat and only way to get bigger tank would be hiring a crane and taking window out which i like the hobby but not that much lol
One bit advice i would say is for me i always wished i got a longer tank but not as tall as ball ache trying to put hands in and fish generally swim length ways not upwards so longer tank usually means can get bigger fish unless super slim in height off course.
Good luck and hope you get great enjoyment from your tank.

Brs has some great videos on setting up saltwater tanks and the ongoing running costs,salts to use etc,and just about everything related to reef tanks

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R , I never did an automatic water change system, there are many who run these. Manual labor can really put one down. If you have a willing helping hand. I say big as you can afford. There are plenty of people who can tell you the parts needed to run with the auto systems.
That way you can add it to budget.
I hope you have a quick recovery!

OP
OP
Gham

Gham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R , I never did an automatic water change system, there are many who run these. Manual labor can really put one down. If you have a willing helping hand. I say big as you can afford. There are plenty of people who can tell you the parts needed to run with the auto systems.
That way you can add it to budget.
I hope you have a quick recovery!
Thanks for the reply. I am thinking of a D-D 1200 not sure on lighting

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger allows for more swimming space for fish, which gives you more options as far as species go. Bigger also means that you need more lights to provide adequate coverage for coral growth, which can get expensive. It's a balancing act. I started with a 46 gallon tank in March of this year and am already upgrading to an 80 gallon lagoon (only 16 inches tall) this fall.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back