newbie aquarium question

niels123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I do not have any concrete plans of building a real aquarium (with fish / plants etc.) at home I do wonder something. I've been a (nearly) lifetime mineral collector and many minerals only come in tiny crystals that are much smaller than 1 millimeter. The pieces usually fit in 1" x 1" x 1" boxes and are called micromounts.

Is there such a thing in the aquarium world as well? So a tiny aquarium (like a few liters up to 1G max) with fish / aquatic life that never gets bigger than 2-3 millimeters.

jasrivas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing i can think of for a 1 gallon tank is freshwater shrimp and they can be tricky with water fluctuation occurring a lot at that size. i have seen people just keep small aquatic plants in 1 gallon fish bowls and tank with successes, but most smaller aquatic life generally need at least a 5 gallon to thrive like a freshwater Betta

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure there are, I’ve never had one but usually when I see them they just have a few small coral frags in them. I saw one user that put an aiptasia in theirs.
Here is one that can be bought

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In the ocean I have retrieved rock with minerals and shiny gold pigments and can only assume safe if it is/was in the ocean

jasrivas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the ocean I have retrieved rock with minerals and shiny gold pigments and can only assume safe if it is/was in the ocean
not necessarily, it depends on hat kind of minerals but there is a possibility it can over time leach inside our small ecosystem and pollute the tank. i would not trust any rock with metals or minerals in it. even if you found it in the ocean it can still leach but if it leaches in the ocean nothing will happen because of how big the ocean is.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
not necessarily, it depends on hat kind of minerals but there is a possibility it can over time leach inside our small ecosystem and pollute the tank. i would not trust any rock with metals or minerals in it. even if you found it in the ocean it can still leach but if it leaches in the ocean nothing will happen because of how big the ocean is.
No metals- no exceptions

OP
OP
N

niels123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No metals- no exceptions

I never have / had the intention to put minerals in the aquarium. I just was comparing the size: many mineral collectors limit themselves to tiny specimens. So I wondered if there is a group of fish tank owners that only has aquatic life the size of a few millimeters.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I never have / had the intention to put minerals in the aquarium. I just was comparing the size: many mineral collectors limit themselves to tiny specimens. So I wondered if there is a group of fish tank owners that only has aquatic life the size of a few millimeters.
I realize . You were wondering how safe. Others may see this and acdept as a warning

OP
OP
N

niels123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sounds like pyrite. They quickly get unstable and decompose once in a more oxygen-rich and wet environment. It will leak Fe3+ sulphate into the water and lower the pH.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just have a load of different copepods,ampripods and isopods and the pod I always forget how to spell ( octhropod) (orthropods) spelt something like that.
As for fish small enough to fit in a 1 gallon does it exist idk but would have to be super hands on checking water temp/parameters and the such

Even a small clown goby 1 gallon would be to small I would off thought ,but anyway you mention 2-3 mm size so idk

Good luck

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just googled if any 2-3 mm fish lol and smallest saltwater fish above at 8-10 mn

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220703-203344_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703-203344_Google.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 16

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There definitely are, but as a newcomer to aquariums you must be warned that the smaller the tank the harder they are to keep stable! Parameters can swing quickly in a tiny tank and wipe it out in the blink of an eye.

Back