Newbie attempting a 7gallon.... I'm sure it'll be fine

teela

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I've had freshwater tanks in the past and after getting far too deep into some research over the new year I've decided I want my own little coral reef.

I bought a second hand 7 gallon all in one and am currently cycling it with some caribsea aragalive and a couple live rocks from one of the local shops. I'm lucky enough to be in San Diego so I went over to the Scripps institute of oceanography and got some free ocean water from their tap.

The plan is to just have some soft corals. I'm excited to see how it goes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all. I've had freshwater tanks in the past and after getting far too deep into some research over the new year I've decided I want my own little coral reef.

I bought a second hand 7 gallon all in one and am currently cycling it with some caribsea aragalive and a couple live rocks from one of the local shops. I'm lucky enough to be in San Diego so I went over to the Scripps institute of oceanography and got some free ocean water from their tap.

Will be fine. We have a few 2 gallon Pico tanks on here

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

I'm currently rocking a 1.2g SPS 'single frag' tank! Still cycling, but it's a fun journey!

I love San Diego. Although most of my time was spent in O-side, two of my sons made their way through MCRD. One of these days I'll make it back to that coast.

Can't wait to see your build thread and progress! Cheers!!

dlsorensen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

I'm currently rocking a 1.2g SPS 'single frag' tank! Still cycling, but it's a fun journey!

I love San Diego. Although most of my time was spent in O-side, two of my sons made their way through MCRD. One of these days I'll make it back to that coast.

Can't wait to see your build thread and progress! Cheers!!
Tell both your sons thank you for their service and to you for raising bad butt sons! From an old Marine. Semper Fi

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

As a fellow San Diego resident, welcome aboard!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all! I'm mostly concerned about my lack of experience and the small size. All the you tube folk seem to think beginners shouldn't go smaller than 20 gallon. My place is small though so small tank it is!
This is a big reason they're on youtube and not here.

That said, it's common consensus that bigger is better because dilution is the solution to yoir pollution, but it's also said 'Run what ya brung' and this is true everywhere. A smaller tank means more diligent maintenance, but it's also smaller, so there's less work and worry.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back