Newbie finally posting

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lurking here a while, absorbing a lot of the great comments and information from you more experienced aquarists. Started my first (kind of) marine tank back in May of this year (2021), added my first fish in July and been continuing to add more ever since, with the goal of moving into corals when I'm confident. I have a 55 gallon cheapie that came with a HOB filter and basic LED lights which has worked out ok so far. Started with CaribSea live sand and live rock, Dr. Tim's to cycle which seems to have worked well. Last week I added a Tunze Comline in tank skimmer to help lighten the load on the HOB filter and so far pleased with the results. My question at the moment is what are good indicators of how many fish one can put in a 55 gallon? So far I have the following:

A pair of clowns,
1 Diamond watchman goby
1 Blue-green chromis
1 Royal gramma
1 Yellow coris wrasse
1 Flame angel
Assorted CUC inverts. Trochus, astraea and nassarius snails, cleaner, peppermint and fire shrimps, hermit and emerald crabs and 1 tuxedo urchin

Feels like I am getting maxed out, but I would like to add some yellow-tail, blue or springer damsels for some blue color and maybe some kind of reddish flasher wrasse to round things out if that wouldn't overload my tank. Would appreciate any thoughts and comments from this community.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

I’m a copperband lover! Good luck!

4F941FCE-F6BA-468F-B94D-19DF5D1A0C1D.jpeg

7E958CE7-6A32-4998-A64F-E3185617638B.gif

JayA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been lurking here a while, absorbing a lot of the great comments and information from you more experienced aquarists. Started my first (kind of) marine tank back in May of this year (2021), added my first fish in July and been continuing to add more ever since, with the goal of moving into corals when I'm confident. I have a 55 gallon cheapie that came with a HOB filter and basic LED lights which has worked out ok so far. Started with CaribSea live sand and live rock, Dr. Tim's to cycle which seems to have worked well. Last week I added a Tunze Comline in tank skimmer to help lighten the load on the HOB filter and so far pleased with the results. My question at the moment is what are good indicators of how many fish one can put in a 55 gallon? So far I have the following:

A pair of clowns,
1 Diamond watchman goby
1 Blue-green chromis
1 Royal gramma
1 Yellow coris wrasse
1 Flame angel
Assorted CUC inverts. Trochus, astraea and nassarius snails, cleaner, peppermint and fire shrimps, hermit and emerald crabs and 1 tuxedo urchin

Feels like I am getting maxed out, but I would like to add some yellow-tail, blue or springer damsels for some blue color and maybe some kind of reddish flasher wrasse to round things out if that wouldn't overload my tank. Would appreciate any thoughts and comments from this community.
Hi @Tim McLellan , welcome! IMO you could add a damsel. Not sure about the flasher wrasse with a coris wrasse already? AND would think the flasher wrasse maybe a little late to the tank, since it is more peaceful...Anyone else...

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only keep the blue damsel, I have one in quarantine at the moment and it is a fairly simple fish, quiet, it's also cheap and beautiful, I have never had aggressive problems with this fish over the years, I can not say what same as the other damsels I've dealt with.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back