Newbie first time at LFS(s)

Baffels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to check my city (San Diego) out the other day and see what LFS I shall claim as mine. Looking for a place thats clean, has good employees and can answer any questions I come up with. I went to 6 shops over the course of 4 hours throughout the city and I can say one thing... it was a bad experience.

Out of the 6 shops, only one had someone who acknowledged I existed, and this one really just had frags. The guy was nice and personable. The other 5 shops, no one said a word to me. Now, I don't need or want someone walking behind me to answer all my questions who then becomes my best friend forever. But as a customer, at least say "sup, anything I can help with?".

At one store, I literally didn't see a soul. I heard two employees in the back talking and laughing about the prior weekend with... a lot of details, but I could have wheeled out a 1,000 gallon tank and they would have had no idea. Was in there for 10 minutes...

The other 4 just seemed like I was walking into a club I didn't belong in. If anyone here has wargaming experience, its a lot like walking into a bad game store. Everyone knows each other, and that each other isn't you. As someone new to the hobby, this was really weird to me.

Has anyone else had this experience?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LFS only want to deal with experience reefers. I had a very similar situation here locally. But did find one showilling to help.

Don’t get to discourage and also most experienced R2R forum members think you should come here to ask and learn and not your LFS. I love this website but tread lightly imo. You will find the ones here to help and others that feel like there way is the only way.

I would try your LFS one more time but go in during the week and see how it goes. You will find one you will like more than others.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back