Newbie from Oz setting up a reef tank

Inkarnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, been lurking the forums for a while doing as much research as I can on setting up a new reef tank.

I've put together a bit of a list of the main items needed to get started, and I was chasing opinions and any feedback possible. I wan't to house both fish (I like tangs and angels) and corals. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Prices in Oz.

Tank & Stand - CADE 1200 Pro Reef S2 - $3500
Protein Skimmer - NYOS Quantum 160 Skimmer for Tanks up to 1000l - $690
Chiller - Teco TK500 Aquarium Chiller for tanks up to 500 liters New R290 Model Wi-Fi Capable - $1450
Lighting - 2 x Kessil A360X-TB Tuna Blue - X Series LED Aquarium Light - $1740
Flow - 2 x Ecotech VorTech MP40MQD QUIETDRIVE now with Mobius 3785-12100 lph - $1300
Return Pump - Eheim CompactOn 3000 water pump 3000lph - $335
Filter - Clarisea SK-5000 Gen 2 - $595

Prob the main questions I have is, will that chiller be enough for the tank.
Is 2 x Kessil 1360's enough or would I need 3? Better off going to the AP9X?
is 2 x MP40's enough

OP
OP
Inkarnate

Inkarnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, thanks for the recommendation, def seems like a better fit that pump.

OP
OP
Inkarnate

Inkarnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mate,
I have the same tank and I am also in QLD, the 2x MP40 are enough but the chiller might struggle during summer and I would suggest to invest on a TK1000.
Hey man, awesome tank, I actually thought I might need to step up to the TK1000, thanks for the pickup. Where did you purchase your setup from? Finding it hard to find the tank and not wanting to charge a fortune for shipping. Thanks

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back