Newbie - Future Mixed Reef Aquascape/Questions

Seek&Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5' x 2' x 2' 150 gallon display with a 40 gallon sump. This is my current aquascape.

NOTE: the rock on the very far left is by itself in the back left corner as an island. Tiny island rock on right. All other rocks are touching.

IMG_3782.jpg

I am wanting a mixed reef in the future and will be getting 60" 6 bulb ATI t5 fixture. So I have a few questions.

1. All my fish hang out on the right half of the tank. Thoughts? (powdered blue, blue hippo, foxface rabbitfish, diamond goby, clownfish, and some sort of anthias (orange with red dots on pelvic fins). All fish came with the tank when I bought it. 2nd Hand tank.

2. Powder blue will not leave the hippo alone. Hippo will come out and powdered blue will chase it till it goes in its cave. Going to try mirror method, but also think if I could get one to move to the other side it would help. Note: cut back feedings from 2x a day to 1x afternoon due to cyano. Started feeding nori in the morning to see if that will help. Also don't know if I really want both of these fish permanently, really want a scopa and a bristle tooth instead as utilitarian.

3. Once aquascape is set in stone ;), how could I glue these while underwater so I can quit stressing about them falling over. Secure for now but not enough for when I add CUC of turbos and maybe conchs. Still figuring stocking plan.

4. What is a decent stock plan for this size? I like these, not saying stock all of these.
  • I'd like to keep at least one of my current tangs
  • Bristletooth
  • Scopa
  • Sailfin
  • Royal Gramma
  • Wrasse of some sort
  • Copperband Butterfly!!!
  • Paired Clowns w/ anemone
  • Spotted Mandarin
5. CUC recommendations for this size tank?

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions but I am completely new to saltwater. Thanks in advance!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Could be less flow or if you feed them in that corner they're hoping to get the jump on their competition. As you add corals, etc. they'll probably start exploring more.
4. Stocking list looks ok.
5. Nassarius snails, trochus snails, spiny astrea snails. Definitely a few conches and a bunch of hermit crabs. A sand sifting starfish or two would also work out great. I like sea cucumbers, but not everyone is a fan.

laxer23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would not get the sand sifting stars or sea cucumbers. Both eat a huge amount and will starve even in a 150. I have wanted a sand sifter star but everything I read says they require a lot of food to live. Some people have tried to spot feed them, but that has seemed to only delay their death as they seem to be missing something. The sea cucumber is the same at least the ones that eat algae they get big and eat loads of algae especially with tangs also competing for algae. But that's just my opinion, if you search this site you can make your own conclusion based on others experience.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back