Newbie here, looking to slowly get serious.

raketemensch

Ape That Likes Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are looking into this as a potential business, and we also love the beauty of these things, plus the idea of preserving coral is extremely appealing. She has been a freelance writer for years, and is looking to do something new, so we have someone part/full time to work on things, and I've got quite a bit of engineering/automation/water science experience from beermaking and plumbing/electrical work. We don't plan on making any money from it for years, and are being realistic about it. We'd like to work out something for her to do from home that can continue to grow over the years. My family has historically always been involved in some sort of farming, so the idea of continuing that trend in a modern way and teaching the kids is a positive, too.

I'm looking for any good beginner guides. I've been working my way through The Supreme Guide, which is awesome, but there are times when I could use more detail, especially about plumbing. I'm almost done with that guide, then I figured I would dig around for some good, explanatory build threads.

Any links to guides, recommended builds, etc. would be great. I've got space for a 55 gallon tank/stand set aside in the basement, and am putting together my checklist of things to pick up, while also perusing facebook marketplace for good deals.

The main thing I'm wondering right now -- do people with 40+ gallon tanks generally set up their own RO filters at home?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Ro/DI setups are not necessary, but definitely make reefing life easier. You don't have to go to the LFS to pick up RO/DI water, you can just make it at home.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Another great resource is the BRS 52 weeks of reefing videos. Regarding the RO system, it will vary but it will come down to the convenience and cost trade off of buying RO from your local fish store (LFS). Personally I started buying saltwater from my LFS then moved to buying RO and mixing my own saltwater, then I got tired of the bother of dragging buckets back and forth. Either way, you will want to use RO instead of tap water.

j.falk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do people with 40+ gallon tanks generally set up their own RO filters at home?

Yes, that would be a good first step to do so you aren't lugging home buckets/jugs of water every week...and in the long run, having your own unit would be cost effective over buying water.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R Welcome.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral farming is a great idea!
The best book available for everything Reef has just been reprinted and is available on Amazon=

It was written by @Paul B and has lots of good information for folks starting out in reefs

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. You've definitely found the best resource for reefing information. As far as RO/DI goes, I would absolutely invest in your own system. Not only is it more convenient and potentially cost effective, but when you make your own water, you know exactly what you're getting batch to batch. Otherwise, you have to trust your source to provide the quality water you need (doesn't always happen).

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! You have received a bunch of great info already. I do find that an at home RO/DI setup is really important to long term success and ease of husbandry. I couldn't imagine reefing without one. As well, automated water changes have made life so much easier. Looking forward to tagging along to share in your adventure.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and your new reefing family. I would echo the prior comments regarding setting up your own water making system (RODI) from the start. Below is an article that gives you the essential details of setting up a relatively easy system that works quite well (and I'm not just saying that because I know the author). :cool:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back