Newbie here. Planning before purchase.

Yktay2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am a complete newbie but have spent many months watching youtube videos (incl BRStv 5 min series and 52 weeks series). My dream is to have a beautiful reef tank at home.

I am thinking to put a 180cm tank at the bottom of my staircase - photo 1 and 2 yellow area.
Attached is my floor plan showing the layout and electrical floor plan of the house, and also a video clip of the spot.
Is the spot ok ? It is away from direct sunlight and is a place where everyone walks pass everyday.

Any suggestions before I get a tank?
What kind of plumbing could I set up and how many power points do I need to allow easy maintenance and future prove?
I am thinking to get a 180cm tank. My local fish store recommended Redsea S850. Is it a good option?

Thanks for your comments.

1.jpg 5.jpg Spot Measurement.jpg

Attachments

• Movie.mp4
    3.3 MB
Last edited:

nick7948

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would only have it there myself if I was able to make use of the area under the stairs for aquarium stuff. Assuming you'll have more equipment then can fit in a cabinet, you won't have an option to put something like a controller cabinet next to the tank. You could use that room to keep things like a water reservoir for ATO and/or automatic water change and anything else that doesn't fit in the cabinet. (assuming you're OK with drilling a hole in the wall behind the tank. A UV filter may or may not fit in your cabinet, so you could run the piping through the wall in to that room.

Your laundry room appears to be close so another thing you can do if you decide to get a device for "Automatic Water Changes" is run the tube for dirty water through the wall to the drain (if there is one) in the laundry room. Your probably not going to want the tank right up against the wall so assuming you have 6+ inches behind it, not sure how much room you have in front of it.

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as @nick7948 alluded to, you’ll want to consider how convenient this space will be for tank maintenance. If the space is pretty to walk by but a pain to work in, then your family is going to be walking by an ugly tank.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally, I like to have my tanks in the area we are in the most. In our case, the living room. Our house is pretty small, and that is my only option, but even if we had a large home, I would still have them in the area people gathered in the most.

OP
OP
Y

Yktay2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought about drilling hole in the wall behind the tank and I'm happy with that.

Personally, I would only have it there myself if I was able to make use of the area under the stairs for aquarium stuff. Assuming you'll have more equipment then can fit in a cabinet, you won't have an option to put something like a controller cabinet next to the tank. You could use that room to keep things like a water reservoir for ATO and/or automatic water change and anything else that doesn't fit in the cabinet. (assuming you're OK with drilling a hole in the wall behind the tank. A UV filter may or may not fit in your cabinet, so you could run the piping through the wall in to that room.

Your laundry room appears to be close so another thing you can do if you decide to get a device for "Automatic Water Changes" is run the tube for dirty water through the wall to the drain (if there is one) in the laundry room. Your probably not going to want the tank right up against the wall so assuming you have 6+ inches behind it, not sure how much room you have in front of it.

Just as @nick7948 alluded to, you’ll want to consider how convenient this space will be for tank maintenance. If the space is pretty to walk by but a pain to work in, then your family is going to be walking by an ugly tank.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back