Newbie here with a quick question

sharkbait7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after years of freshwater, i have decided to setup a saltwater tank. I have a 46gallon bow front tank with a canistr filter. So i plan to throw in live rock andsand but curious if the premixed saltwater i saw in Petco is worth it for 11bucks fr 5 gallons??? I feel it may be worth the exra money since my house tap does not have filtration system.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. I would get a hydrometer to check the salinity but it would work to cycle the tank but if your going to have coral I would get a RO/DI unit and a good salt mix. I really don't know much about the calcium and magnesium levels in there water. You will need to clean the canister filter once or twice a week or you will have algae problem from nitrates.

sirevans reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! I would have to say that that sounds a little pricier. You should be able to find a LFS that has pre-mixed salt water with ro/di water for right around $2.50-$3.00 gal. But after that I would invest in a ro/di unit and save yourself time and money all the way around. Good luck!!!:wink:

OP
OP
S

sharkbait7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured to run the first cycle with it and go from there. I plan to start with fish first then see how it goes. Does the canister need to be cleaned out that often with saltwater??? Thanks for all of the help. Glad to be apart of R2R!!

Scuba George

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco brand salt is high in calcium I use it, leaves me at 450 where a lot of other brands leave me at 400

I need gills @_@

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In saltwater you want your rock and sand to be the biological filter and if you let your canister go to long it will start to collect food and break it down into nitrate that will feed algae. That is why people have stopped using bio balls and wet/dry filters because you have high nitrate. They do a great jod of removing food but instead of it being broke down by macro fauna it just sets there.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the short term it might work, but in the long run you would be better off with your own RO/DI unit, and making your own saltwater. Besides being able to control the quality of water, you won't have to worry running out of water at 9 PM on a Sunday.

As for the cal being at 450, nothing wrong with that -- assuming the Alk and Mag levels are in check.

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to r2r, as others have said I would invest in getting an rodi unit, at what it would initially cost you to buy the salt water at Petco you could use that money to cover a large chunk of what an rodi unit would cost you. Yes it will cost a little bit more at the intial setup for the rodi unit salt and containers for freshwater for top off and a container for holding and mixing your saltwater, but you will quickly save money imo going that route. Also if you do start with the Petco saltwater you will still need to find a source for rodi water for topping off.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Thanks for joining and please make sure and post often!

strange33w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An RO?DI system was one of the best investments I have made. If you can I would get one. Also if possible I would not use the canister filter for the reasons others have stated. Good luck with you build it is very enjoyable to watch a tank change and become mature.

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to agree with everyone with regard to buying the RODI unit and mixing your own water - if there is any way to swing it, that's the best route to go as it will pay for itself in short order - not only monetarily, but also with a much easier to maintain system.

I disagree with everyone with regard to the canister filter. Since you've kept freshwater, you know you have to clean these every so often. Same is true with a canister filter on a saltwater tank. If you have it - use it. I've run 100+ gallon tanks with canister filters - they are not as easy to service as a skimmer or a filter sock, but they work fine. Eventually - a few months from now - you'll probably have the desire to upgrade to a skimmer, but even then you can run media in your canister filter such as carbon, gfo or even purigen.

There is no way a canister filter can become a nitrate factory - its a myth. They cannot put more nitrate into the water than they take out - I still run a canister filter for media.

OP
OP
S

sharkbait7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now i plan to run a penn plax cascade 10000 with live rock and live sand.... now can i test my house water or even my water cooler water to see the levels? I can then maybe mix like everyon is saying. AGAIN THANKS FOR ALL OF THE HELP

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back