Newbie needs help

Navi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi can someone tell me what's on my rocks. It's brown web like substance. I don't run any media
Water parameters are stable. Tank is 2 months old

IMG_7691.JPG

IMG_7692.JPG

IMG_7693.JPG

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos... don't panic.

New tank uglies are par for the course. Virtually everyone has them, in some form, over the course of the first few months. I had dinos, diatoms, and cyano over the first 6 months or so. All went away.

Lost my skimmer motor last week, had to do without for a week while I got a new motor... started seeing cyano in a few days with no skimmer. New skimmer hooked up a couple of days ago, cyano is already going away.

Test for phosphates, if they're more than trace levels, you might run some GFO for a while. Careful, it can drop phosphates to near zero, and cause as much harm as benefit, but it's a very handy tool to have in your toolbox.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test for phosphates, if they're more than trace levels, you might run some GFO for a while. Careful, it can drop phosphates to near zero, and cause as much harm as benefit, but it's a very handy tool to have in your toolbox.
Typically, it specie dependant and it's more common to see dinos with zero phosphate rather than the opposite. Since the rocks look very clean without corlline or any other life, I would say nutrients in general are very limited. When adding coral to this environment, the dino hitchhiker can take advantage.

Course of action would be to seed diversity, boost fish population, allow nutrients to naturally build up with microbial diversity. Clean slate tanks more often than none see this issue.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically, it specie dependant and it's more common to see dinos with zero phosphate rather than the opposite. Since the rocks look very clean without corlline or any other life, I would say nutrients in general are very limited. When adding coral to this environment, the dino hitchhiker can take advantage.

Course of action would be to seed diversity, boost fish population, allow nutrients to naturally build up with microbial diversity. Clean slate tanks more often than none see this issue.
+1
And back off with water changes, until bacteria's and nutrients are up.

OP
OP
Navi

Navi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does look Like Dino's to Me as well. Should I take steps to get rid of them or will they go away on its own I have 0 nitrates and phosphate

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look Like Dino's to Me as well. Should I take steps to get rid of them or will they go away on its own I have 0 nitrates and phosphate
Don't take this the wrong way but Dino's never go away. Healthy tanks have Dino's. Just what we don't see is the biological warfare that takes place keeping dinos from thriving. This involves microbial diversity. Bacteria and other organisms need to be present. I would add a nice piece of creature rich live rock and some live sand from a healthy tank or ordered from Indo Pacific sea farms.

Let's go over some other tank parameters.

What size tank and how many fish? Do you feel like you are stocked as far as fish go?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Navi

Navi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't take this the wrong way but Dino's never go away. Healthy tanks have Dino's. Just what we don't see is the biological warfare that takes place keeping dinos from thriving. This involves microbial diversity. Bacteria and other organisms need to be present. I would add a nice piece of creature rich live rock and some live sand from a healthy tank or ordered from Indo Pacific sea farms.

Let's go over some other tank parameters.

What size tank and how many fish? Do you feel like you are stalked as far as fish go?
I have 9 fishes in 75 gallon tank
2 Damsels
4 green cromis
2 clown
Yellow tang
Foxface
6 line wrasse
The Dino's are causing my corals not open.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 fishes in 75 gallon tank
2 Damsels
4 green cromis
2 clown
Yellow tang
Foxface
6 line wrasse
The Dino's are causing my corals not open.
Thats not too bad. What are you running for filtration?

OP
OP
Navi

Navi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used dry rock but live sand. I used coral rx to dip my coral. Yea tank is ultra low on nutrients 0 phosphates and nitrates since start up and me adding cheto I think brought the Dino's on. Since than I pulled out the cheto cut down on the light Schedule and pulled out the filter sock just running my skimmer for filtration and started feeding more to bring my nutrients up

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back