Newbie Obsessed with her Coralife Biocube 29

Jorge-al

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi welcome i have you same tank just with different upgrades mine is 2 years old is doing amazing , best tank i have ever had

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home today and have lost all my fish ::::heartbroken::::

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home today and have lost all my fish ::::heartbroken::::

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that Helen.
We all have been there that we lost some fish if not all.
All I hope is that you pick up the pieces and don't drop out and I'm sure your fish would say the same.
Most of us tried to get you were you wanted to be and better.
You learned a lesson along the way and made through that road some pretty awesome friends too.
Stay strong an be solid, this is a great forum and you can be part of that with a awesome tank.

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that Helen.
We all have been there that we lost some fish if not all.
All I hope is that you pick up the pieces and don't drop out and I'm sure your fish would say the same.
Most of us tried to get you were you wanted to be and better.
You learned a lesson along the way and made through that road some pretty awesome friends too.
Stay strong an be solid, this is a great forum and you can be part of that with a awesome tank.

Thank You.
Have the new biocube sitting here and debating if I want to start again.

Last edited:

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helen...sorry to hear about what happened to your fish...I have been in the saltwater and freshwater hobby for 45 years and have certainly had my share of losses. The reason, most of the time, was that I really didn't know what I was doing...or didn't have enough knowledge to keep a delicate ecosystem going especially with salt water. I sent you a note before this happened and I want to reiterate what I said. I mentioned The Nano Reef Handbook by Chris Brightwell which should be read a couple of times before you think of starting again. This is not a hobby where you succeed doing what you think is best...you have to know the scientific facts and this book will give you a solid start to being successful. Your happiness is at stake, but also animal lives...please read and read and read...and then get off to a good start the next time. Again, we are all sorry for the losses...Ken:(

Oceansize

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helen, please do not let this frustrating event sour you on the hobby. Starting a tank in October and losing all the fish to disease by the end of January is absolutely not the norm. But neither does it reflect poorly on you! I can tell just from the things you've said already that you've been doing things far more correctly and methodically than many other newbies, and you take direction well, comprehending what is being asked of you, responding quickly etc and it's obvious you have a passion for this that already puts you ahead of most of your peers in terms of addressing problems.

You've been very hard on yourself for not QTing, however you must understand that the majority of newbies and possibly even the majority of oldies still do not QT and can go years without getting burned, so you're not some outlier in this regard. Some have good reasons, others are just lazy, but the point being you've been very unlucky even by their standards. This disease showed up so fast, if you put new fish in the QT while older fish were still in QT, you'd still have dead fish, they'd just be in your QT instead of your DT. ;)

By the most recent measure, it would appear that Velvet disease may be the culprit that killed your tank. Understanding that disease may help you understand what the heck just happened to your tank.

I came here to say, before getting to the part where everything died, that I really love gobies too. I first became aware of them during scuba trips to the Caribbean, and they are part of the reason why I decided to get into SW aquaria. They are just so fascinating to watch, fun personalities, and keep your substrate in tip-top shape!

Keep at it, if for no other reason than to keep gobies again, lol. :)

I would also consider using a different LFS from now on.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read through the thread. So sorry to see that you lost your fish :( don't be too hard on yourself, we've all lost something in this hobby and all losses stink. I really hope this doesn't discourage you from continuing in the hobby. It is a wonderful hobby and your enthusiasm and care for your animals will result in a successful tank - I'm sure. I continue to read and learn and have been in the hobby for 20+ years and kept fresh all though my childhood. That background does help a lot in salt imo. Reading as a recommendation can't be overstated.

Hang in there and don't give up!

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helen...sorry to hear about what happened to your fish...I have been in the saltwater and freshwater hobby for 45 years and have certainly had my share of losses. The reason, most of the time, was that I really didn't know what I was doing...or didn't have enough knowledge to keep a delicate ecosystem going especially with salt water. I sent you a note before this happened and I want to reiterate what I said. I mentioned The Nano Reef Handbook by Chris Brightwell which should be read a couple of times before you think of starting again. This is not a hobby where you succeed doing what you think is best...you have to know the scientific facts and this book will give you a solid start to being successful. Your happiness is at stake, but also animal lives...please read and read and read...and then get off to a good start the next time. Again, we are all sorry for the losses...Ken:(

Thank You, I ordered the book yesterday and waiting for it to come.

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helen, please do not let this frustrating event sour you on the hobby. Starting a tank in October and losing all the fish to disease by the end of January is absolutely not the norm. But neither does it reflect poorly on you! I can tell just from the things you've said already that you've been doing things far more correctly and methodically than many other newbies, and you take direction well, comprehending what is being asked of you, responding quickly etc and it's obvious you have a passion for this that already puts you ahead of most of your peers in terms of addressing problems.

You've been very hard on yourself for not QTing, however you must understand that the majority of newbies and possibly even the majority of oldies still do not QT and can go years without getting burned, so you're not some outlier in this regard. Some have good reasons, others are just lazy, but the point being you've been very unlucky even by their standards. This disease showed up so fast, if you put new fish in the QT while older fish were still in QT, you'd still have dead fish, they'd just be in your QT instead of your DT. ;)

By the most recent measure, it would appear that Velvet disease may be the culprit that killed your tank. Understanding that disease may help you understand what the heck just happened to your tank.

I came here to say, before getting to the part where everything died, that I really love gobies too. I first became aware of them during scuba trips to the Caribbean, and they are part of the reason why I decided to get into SW aquaria. They are just so fascinating to watch, fun personalities, and keep your substrate in tip-top shape!

Keep at it, if for no other reason than to keep gobies again, lol. :)

I would also consider using a different LFS from now on.

Thank you!!!!

This tank was a gift for my son for Xmas (as we have 4 fresh water tanks already and he really wanted a salt water tanks) but really turned out to be a gift to myself!

Yes, I am trying not be so hard on myself :::crying just typing this::: but I have learned a valuable lesson.
I have a 12 gallon tank on the way and will be QT'ing from now on!!!

Yes, my little yellow goby (that is her pic in my avatar), she was such a little character!!! That is actually a pic taken right before things went bad, she was coming out of her little cave she built to tell me morning!! In the evenings when I would sit on the couch to work on laptop she would come over to a little piece of rock that was in the corner and just watch me and sometime just make a total mess stirring up the sand!!! Her name was Sunshine!!! She will be missed!!!

Yes, the fish I think that started this was not bought at my regular shop and I will never go back there!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hang in there and don't give up![/QUOTE]
I just read through the thread. So sorry to see that you lost your fish :( don't be too hard on yourself, we've all lost something in this hobby and all losses stink. I really hope this doesn't discourage you from continuing in the hobby. It is a wonderful hobby and your enthusiasm and care for your animals will result in a successful tank - I'm sure. I continue to read and learn and have been in the hobby for 20+ years and kept fresh all though my childhood. That background does help a lot in salt imo. Reading as a recommendation can't be overstated.

Hang in there and don't give up!

Thank you!!!

I am getting the book mentioned and will reading and reading!!!

Everyone here is so supportive and this would have been much harder without everyone!!!!

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen this guy in about 7 or 8 months. Turned around today and there he was. Welcome to reefing
I just got home and this is a pic I just took.
They seem to be doing fine, I don't see any difference in behavior and they just ate like little pigs, like they always do!

I am not seeing any rubbing on the rocks at all!

In the midst of the madness ... as I was looking for my little yellow goby ... I be ****** if I didn't see the missing firefish pop right out of the back of a rock!!! For the love of goodness!!! I will be checking myself into the nearest looney bin soon!!!!o_O

IMG_2225.JPG

20160120_133942.jpg

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!!!!

This tank was a gift for my son for Xmas (as we have 4 fresh water tanks already and he really wanted a salt water tanks) but really turned out to be a gift to myself!

Yes, I am trying not be so hard on myself :::crying just typing this::: but I have learned a valuable lesson.
I have a 12 gallon tank on the way and will be QT'ing from now on!!!

Yes, my little yellow goby (that is her pic in my avatar), she was such a little character!!! That is actually a pic taken right before things went bad, she was coming out of her little cave she built to tell me morning!! In the evenings when I would sit on the couch to work on laptop she would come over to a little piece of rock that was in the corner and just watch me and sometime just make a total mess stirring up the sand!!! Her name was Sunshine!!! She will be missed!!!

Yes, the fish I think that started this was not bought at my regular shop and I will never go back there!!!
One thing I have learned from all of this, I will also be setting up a qt tank, up until now any fish I have lost have not been from sickness and that was sad enough. Again Helen, so sorry. :(

nwkermit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helen,
I started this hobby 2 years ago, everyone going to make mistakes, I started with a nano-cube 28g with LED light. I started off with live sands and live rock, I break the tank in with designer clownfish and mandarin...worked up to a flame angle and mystery wrasse, it took me 6 months to add one fish at a time. Added bubble tip anemone, zoas and etc. Found out mandarin is super hard to keep and never have success even with $20 bottle of pods every other week. Hit the ick...figure out how to get rid of them, zoa pox...figure out how to fix that, have my AC die in September in Florida and lost half my tank...it's a constant learning process....but it's worth it. People can do amazing things with a nano cube.

Here is a few picture of my beginner tank...it is packed because everything is happy in there...there is some pricey stuff in there...but we have to feed our addiction...let see if people can spot what pricey coral I have growing in my 28g
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453347039.742163.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453347055.120487.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453347083.336161.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453347094.437213.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453347106.442960.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1453347118.125838.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back